Most Valuable Oiler #15 (Final)

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
Who do you think is the fourteenth most valuable Oiler going forward?

Consider age, contract, injury history, positional value, leadership, potential, etc... One way of thinking of it would be: in a trade to a neutral team, who would bring the greatest return?

1. Taylor Hall (75%)
2. Ryan Nugent-Hopkins (70%)
3. Nail Yakupov (65%)
4. Jordan Eberle (65%)
5. Justin Schultz (75%)
6. Sam Gagner (30%)
7. Ladislav Smid (40%)
8. Oscar Klefbom (30%)
9. Devan Dubnyk (40%)
10. Jeff Petry (60%)
11. David Perron (55%)
12. Darnell Nurse (70%)
13. Andrew Ference (50%)
14. Boyd Gordon (40%)

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Probably too late now, but if we are talking about assets that take into account trade value then shouldn't our #1 next year be on the list?;)

Mr Forever

The Oilers :(
Nov 18, 2010
COLLEGE
Marincin has much more value to this team than Hemsky, IMO. If you could only keep one, it would surely be Marincin.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Here is my list of most valueable players to the organization. Taking into account skill & impact as well as position & organizational need.

1. Taylor Hall (75%)
2. Ryan Nugent-Hopkins (70%)
3. Justin Schultz (75%)
4. Devan Dubnyk (40%)
5. Nail Yakupov (65%)
6. Jordan Eberle (65%)
7. Ladislav Smid (40%)
8. Andrew Ference (50%)
9. Boyd Gordon (40%)
10. Jeff Petry (60%)
11. Sam Gagner (30%)
12. David Perron (55%)
13. Jones
14. Hemsky
15. Oscar Klefbom/Nurse/Maracin whichever D prospect that exceeds expectations to become a true #1 defenseman which we are lacking from being a true cup contender.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Poor Hemsky, how the mighty have fallen. Sad to see his career come to this. He was such an amazing talent when he was young. oh well, injuries will do that.

djdub

This Space for Rent
Oct 1, 2011
Calgary, AB
I think Hemsky might make a lot of posters eat crow this season, if Eakins plays him. Not saying he will be in top 6, but I think he may play his way there. I have a feeling Yakupov will struggle and we might see an 05/06 Hemsky, again if Eakins gives him a shot in Nail's 2RW spot. He has some dignity/pride to save here. Not saying I know if that matters to him but you think it would matter to any NHL player.

If Hemsky doesn't get over 50 points this year, he may not get another NHL contract over 1.5 m / year. I'm sure his agent has told him the repercussions of having another terrible season.

Really hope I can bump this next season. Not holding my breath though.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
It is really sad how far Hemsky has fallen. The guy was (and often still is) thrilling to watch. My favorite Oilers since Weight till Hall. He always seemed like such a humble guy but I sometimes wonder if he is just a bit pissed to be playing second fiddle to the young kids coming up.

He has had more than a few opportunities in the line up over the last couple years to prove he is healthy and still an elite winger in the league.

I agree with Mac T's assessment. He lost his will to play to his capabilities. For whatever reason. I think he will do great on another team.

Barring injuries Hemsky has played his way out of the top 6. Hemsky would have to play out of his mind amazing to bump Ebs or Yak IMO.

I would love to see him do it tho.

With his talent I thought he would reach 80 points in a year no problem. Especially playing with the talent the Oilers have now.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
I think Hemsky might make a lot of posters eat crow this season, if Eakins plays him. Not saying he will be in top 6, but I think he may play his way there. I have a feeling Yakupov will struggle and we might see an 05/06 Hemsky, again if Eakins gives him a shot in Nail's 2RW spot. He has some dignity/pride to save here. Not saying I know if that matters to him but you think it would matter to any NHL player.
It really isnt about eating crow. Even if Hemsky out produces Yakupov there is no way he gets ranked in top 10 due to his age\contract and injury history.

Perron at #11 is the only potential crow eating worthy ranking IMO. The guy might be leading our club in points next season.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
It is really sad how far Hemsky has fallen. The guy was (and often still is) thrilling to watch. My favorite Oilers since Weight till Hall. He always seemed like such a humble guy but I sometimes wonder if he is just a bit pissed to be playing second fiddle to the young kids coming up.

He has had more than a few opportunities in the line up over the last couple years to prove he is healthy and still an elite winger in the league.

I agree with Mac T's assessment. He lost his will to play to his capabilities. For whatever reason. I think he will do great on another team.

Barring injuries Hemsky has played his way out of the top 6. Hemsky would have to play out of his mind amazing to bump Ebs or Yak IMO.

I would love to see him do it tho.

With his talent I thought he would reach 80 points in a year no problem. Especially playing with the talent the Oilers have now.

I feel for Hemsky, I think he has been very Loyal to the Oilers and really has just suffered becuase of it. His health has worn down so much he doens't have much left, now that the Oilers are turning the corner instead of being part of it he is going to be on the side lines watching. He will probably end up leaving next year via UFA, but he will end up with a bad contract on a poor team.

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
I voted Marincin. It's certainly a put up or shut up year for Hemsky if he wants to stay at the same pay scale he's accustomed to. He needs to stay relatively healthy and produce at least 50 points otherwise he's not likely to get paid more than 3.5 million/year on a short term deal.

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
Probably too late now, but if we are talking about assets that take into account trade value then shouldn't our #1 next year be on the list?;)

I was actually debating that but decided against it. I mean a 2014 1st would probably be 13th-14th on here. A 2015 1st wouldn't be too far behind that.

rockinghockey

Oct 22, 2008
I went with Belov because if he ends up being a top 4 dman that can move the puck and he has size we finally got some depth. He is still young and I am hoping that he is a very nice fine for us.

CorpseFX

Feb 9, 2007
Milwaukee
Poor Hemsky, how the mighty have fallen. Sad to see his career come to this. He was such an amazing talent when he was young. oh well, injuries will do that.

his career or just corny public perception of "we have new toys to play with while he played on teams that were mostly complete garbage outside of one season... and got hit in the back illegally by Handzus, etc, etc"

also, Gagner - 11th "MVP" at 5 mil a season. WOOF.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad