Most Valuable Oiler #14

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
Who do you think is the next most valuable Oiler going forward?

Consider age, contract, injury history, positional value, leadership, potential, etc... One way of thinking of it would be: in a trade to a neutral team, who would bring the greatest return?

2014 Offseason Results:
Rank|Name|Vote|Δ
1| Taylor Hall|96%|--
2| Ryan Nugent-Hopkins|84%|--
3| Jordan Eberle|59%|+1
4| Nail Yakupov|43%|-1
5| Leon Draisaitl |39%|*
6| Darnell Nurse |39%|+6
7| David Perron |52%|+4
8| Justin Schultz |63%|-3
9| Martin Marincin # |30%|^
10| Oscar Klefbom # |34%|-2
11| Ben Scrivens |45%|*
12| Jeff Petry |67%|-2
13| Mark Fayne |66%|*
*new to 2014-2015 Oilers roster
#tiebreak
^unranked in 2013-2014

2013 Offseason Results:
*not on 2014-2015 Oilers roster

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I went Pouilot, maybe add Lander or Pitlick? Two guys that are high 2nd rounders that this team is waiting to breakout and they could very well do so this year.

Took Pouilot as he was brought in to bring a mixed bag of tools. I also think from a MacT stand point that this is a guy you are putting a lot of eggs in his basket and hoping those advanced stats continue.

JoeCool16

Sep 9, 2011
Vancouver
I think a lot of people are pretty high on Yakimov, so I agree he'd be a good one to add. Love the potential of Khaira (and guys like Moroz) chipping in on the 3rd/4th line one day, but Yakimov has 2nd line upside I feel. Hoping after a solid year in the AHL he'll be pretty high on everyone's prospect list come next Summer.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Pouliot is more valuable than Gordon

Disagree. Gordon is on a better contract, and is a great 3C. I'll take the elite faceoff guy who's also one of the better defensive centers in the league. Look at the zone starts Gordon got. A player that can play the hardest minutes in the league is a guy is going to hold value

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Gordon is FAR underrated in this list... he's the key to the defensive abilities of the team... defensive faceoffs... PK... facing toughest lines... it all goes through Gordon. Without him the team is MUCH weaker defensively... something this team can't afford.

OF17

Dec 2, 2007
en France
Gordon is FAR underrated in this list... he's the key to the defensive abilities of the team... defensive faceoffs... PK... facing toughest lines... it all goes through Gordon. Without him the team is MUCH weaker defensively... something this team can't afford.

This thread isn't about value to the team so much as it is value in a vacuum. Would Gordon be worth more than Pouliot as part of a trade to a neutral team? Maybe, but that's the question to ponder, not which one is the most expendable.

Jamie

Mar 2, 2002
Victoria, BC
Visit site
Not sure why the prospects haven't been added sooner, as far as value in a neutral trade there are many that would be worth more than anyone we just signed as a free agent. After Petry, I'd personally go Moroz, Yakimov, Khaira, Chase, Gernat, Simpson, Musil and Roy. To the Oilers, obviously a guy like Fayne or Pouliot means a lot more right now than the prospects, but as far as trade value goes, the prospects probably go a bit further than the UFA that we were willing to pay more than any other team in the league.

Therefore I voted other, meaning Moroz.

For voting purposes, the ones to add should be used from the prospect poll I'd suggest:
5) Bogdan Yakimov - C - Neftekhimik Nizhnekamsk - KHL - 47.33%
6) Jujhar Khaira - C - Everett Silvertips - WHL - 29.05%
7) Dillon Simpson - D - UND Fighting Sioux - NCAA - 32.67%
8) Greg Chase - RW - Calgary Hitmen - WHL - 37.90%
9) Mitchell Moroz - LW - Edmonton Oil Kings - WHL - 29.84%
10) Laurent Brossoit - G - Bakersfield Condors - ECHL - 32.08%
11) Martin Gernat - D - Oklahoma City Barons - AHL - 29.91%
12) Tyler Pitlick - RW - Oklahoma City Barons - AHL - 31.48%
13) David Musil - D - Oklahoma City Barons - AHL - 30.97%
14) Marco Roy - LW - Blainville-Boisbriand Armada - QMJHL - 51.09%

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
This thread isn't about value to the team so much as it is value in a vacuum. Would Gordon be worth more than Pouliot as part of a trade to a neutral team? Maybe, but that's the question to ponder, not which one is the most expendable.

Ya I can see the difference... just had to state that without Gordon, the team likely craps itself faster than many of those chosen as more valuable above him.

Several other players have "duplicates" that can step in and play similarly and deliver similar performances... but let's say Gordon was injured for a long stretch... say 30-40 games... that's pretty much doom for the team unless Hendricks (the only reasonably similar comparable) can step it up and play above and beyond what he's shown before.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad