Most Underrated Goalie in the League

Status
Not open for further replies.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Dude couldnt even keep the starting role from a 37 yr old Mike Smith, in what world is he underrated?

EDIT: Ahh I see, Oilers fan made the thread. Grubauer is up there for sure

Kind of proving his point haha.

Only Rask, Helle, Bishop and Markstrom played more games and had a higher SV% than Koskinen this season, but most people will try to tell you he was trash.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Anderson in Toronto. What was his save % against Columbus, .936? And he gets blamed for the Leaf’s losing. I think he’s grossly underrated.
Yes the Leafs could have done better in that series by scoring goals when they were eliminated in Game 5 to have helped Andersen. However the problem is he has a history for allowing bad goals at the wrong time. For example this was the game winning goal in Game 1 he allowed when the score was 0-0 in the 3rd period, which he admitted was a type of shot he should never have allowed to get past him.

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
Kind of proving his point haha.

Only Rask, Helle, Bishop and Markstrom played more games and had a higher SV% than Koskinen this season, but most people will try to tell you he was trash.
Easy to cherry pick stats when you go by that kind of criteria. Of course the less sample size a goalie has the more likely he’s going to do better because consistency isn’t needed. That’s why there’s some goalies that excel as backups (see Khudobin and allen) but can never be starters in the nhl.

Of all the goalies to play more games than Pavel Francouz, only 1 (Rask) had a higher save % than him. Francouz only played in 4 less games than koskinen.

better yet of all goalies to play more games than Khudobin, no one had a higher save %. See how the less and less games played gets, the better and better goalies stats get if they are 1B material?

Based off your cherry picked stats, Jake allen must be the most underrated goalie in all of the nhl. he put up much better numbers than binnington and was a top goalie in the playoffs before being eliminated. At such a modest 4.35M people still view him as a cap dump. How could people think that of a goalie putting up top 5 goalie stats.

Last edited:

A Loyal Dog

I love SlafCaulZuki (pronounced Slafkovsky). Woof!
Oct 20, 2016
If we're talking HFBoards underrated: then it's Price. No one gives him enough credit. He's only seen as the worst contract in the league and a shell of his past.

If we're talking NHL, then it's Lehner. People seem to always be iffy on him, yet the guy always delivers.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Vasilevskiy. The guy is the best goalie in the league, and there are people who claim he's not even top 5.

Honorable mention is Raanta, but he's never healthy.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Gibson is my choice.
HM to Kuemper
Honestly Gibson is my favorite goalie in the league by far but I think, given how he's playing like he kind of doesn't care til the team around him gets more competitive (and granted the team in front of him isn't doing him many defensive favors). I think if anything he's a little overrated. For now. He certainly has the talent to be the best goalie in the league and he showed that in his first half Vezina push a couple years back but I don't think his heart will be in it 100% until the Ducks get competitive again.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Varlamov? Although he's always been hot and cold. Sometimes he looks unbeatable and others he's a yank job waiting to happen

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Kuemper is freaking amazing. Had no idea until these playoffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad