Most underrated defenseman on your team

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
Who, in your opinion, is the most underrated defenseman on your team? What makes his play special? A defenseman that everybody should know about..

For the Jackets, the blueline is pretty deep but the most underrated defenseman imo is David Savard (toss up between him and Nuutivara). He gets hidden from the spotlight due to Werenski and Jones but Torts raves about Savy. Played in the WC for Canada a few years back and recorded 4 points in 10 games, +10 for his country. I know, +\- is an iffy stat but he was a +33 last season. 4th round pick all the way back in 2009, has played in the Jackets organization for his entire career. He doesn’t put up crazy numbers (career 0.33 ppg) but is just an all around solid, steady defenseman.

member 105785

On HF? Chris Tanev was very briefly overrated that he's now hysterically underrated forever, the Dion Phaneuf effect.

Reactions: vancityluongo

Benedict Kovalchuk

Kovalchuk: A spy?
Jul 19, 2011
CASCADIA NOW
For the Isles it is Boychuk. Solid, gets the job done, and I never hear a word about him. He's not an all-star or anything, but we could do a hell of a lot worse than him.

Honourable mention to Scott Mayfield. He has taken huge strides this season so far, but it isn't apparent unless you are watching him.

Devils090

Feb 16, 2014
Eh nobody really, but Santini is developing into a solid player. He's got a ways to go but he has potential for sure

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Cody Ceci, there's definitely aspects of his game that I am not fond of but he doesn't get the recognition that he deserves.

Reactions: Sensinitis

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I'd say Spurgeon, but I think he's getting a lot more respect nowadays than he was a year or two ago. I don't know if I'd consider any of them "underrated" at the moment.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
For the Canucks, it's definitely NOT Chris Tanev. Certainly not around here. You get the silly lowball offers in the trade forum maybe, but they pour in because i think by and large, HFboards recognizes the sort of contribution Tanev can make.

I think it's actually probably Edler. The guy is still a minute-munching, top shutdown pairing capable defenceman. Just gets trashed because he no longer puts up the PP boosted numbers he once did, and has had some trouble staying healthy for full seasons. He's become steadier defensively over time, and he's absolutely still a solid Top-2/3Defenceman when he's in the lineup. On the majority of teams in the league.

Have to lend support to the original suggestion of David Savard for the Jackets too. He has to be in the running for "most underrated/unheralded" defenceman in the entire league. He's very comfortably among the Top-30 RHD in the league, if not the Top-20. Does it all. Defends well, brings a physical edge, moves the puck, chips in a bit offensively, and takes on tough competition.

Reactions: CBJSTH

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
Sami Vatanen's defensive zone play is underrated. People assume he is a pure offensive defenseman because he is 5'10 and puts up points.

Reactions: Kuola

Mr Tadakichi

Never Reads OP Before Posting
Nov 23, 2014
Nurse. He's been our best defencemen, if at least along side Larsson. He seems to have finally grown and he is still young too, so there is still room for improvement. Sad to see that people still think he is mediocre.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Darnell Nurse is the poster boy for this thread.

Probably the lone bright spot on the Oilers, he's looked excellent.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
I wouldn't say anyone is criminally underrated or anything but if you had to pick someone, I guess Braydon Coburn. He usually silently does his job without f***ing up. A fine 3rd pairing defenseman.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Nurse. He's been our best defencemen, if at least along side Larsson. He seems to have finally grown and he is still young too, so there is still room for improvement. Sad to see that people still think he is mediocre.

Nurse has been better than Klefbom and Larsson IMO

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
The way he's been an afterthought since his Norris, probably Drew Doughty.

But for people few people know, Derek Forbort. Guy eats big minutes in all defensive situations (no PP time) and is a good top-4 dude. Problem is he's very vanilla, doesn't do anything exceptionally well but eat up chunks of ice with reach and a good stick. rarely noticeable. Has had a big share of f*** ups as he gets used to a less-safe system this year, but he's got the skating and mind to keep up. Very mobile for a big guy. Starting to get a bit more physical too which is nice. Now that DD-Muzzin-Martinez are pretty well-known vets, Forbort is the 4th guy that no one knows.

Was also tempted to say Fantenberg but small sample size, but honestly swap jerseys with him and Martinez and no one would know the difference.

Reactions: Fat Elvis

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I wouldn't say anyone is criminally underrated or anything but if you had to pick someone, I guess Braydon Coburn. He usually silently does his job without ****ing up. A fine 3rd pairing defenseman.

Solid depth guys who can just be there consistently without sucking are always underrated, it's nice to have low-risk guys. Coburn has been filling that silent role for years, good player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad