Most under-rated player

TANK200

Nov 13, 2007
There have been numerous underrated players throughout the history of the NHL. This thread is intended to give recognition to some of these players.

In my opinion, Cy Denneny is the most under-rated player ever. He is rarely mentioned in discussions about the best players ever, and is relatively unknown even among players of his own generation. Denneny won one scoring title (in 1924), and was runner up a record 6 times. He may have been the best player in the first 10 years of the NHL, yet he is rarely given recognition for having an outstanding career.

Another player worth noting is Bill Cowley. Cowley was among the best play-makers ever. In fact, he is the only player other than Gretzky that could have lead the league in scoring in a season without scoring a single goal (1940-41). Also, he scored almost 2 points per game in the 1943-44 season. Sure, this was a year when many players had gone to fight in World War Two, but nobody else in the league was even close to his points per game total in that season.

One last player who I would like to bring up is Mike Gartner. He is well known because he played very recently; however, he racked up 700 goals more quietly than any other player who has achieved this. Due to his lack of awards and all-star selections, he will be quickly forgotten despite his great consistency.

Do you agree/disagree with these selections? Also, are there any others that you feel are very under-rated by hockey people in general?

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
There have been numerous underrated players throughout the history of the NHL. This thread is intended to give recognition to some of these players.

In my opinion, Cy Denneny is the most under-rated player ever. He is rarely mentioned in discussions about the best players ever, and is relatively unknown even among players of his own generation. Denneny won one scoring title (in 1924), and was runner up a record 6 times. He may have been the best player in the first 10 years of the NHL, yet he is rarely given recognition for having an outstanding career.

Another player worth noting is Bill Cowley. Cowley was among the best play-makers ever. In fact, he is the only player other than Gretzky that could have lead the league in scoring in a season without scoring a single goal (1940-41). Also, he scored almost 2 points per game in the 1943-44 season. Sure, this was a year when many players had gone to fight in World War Two, but nobody else in the league was even close to his points per game total in that season.

One last player who I would like to bring up is Mike Gartner. He is well known because he played very recently; however, he racked up 700 goals more quietly than any other player who has achieved this. Due to his lack of awards and all-star selections, he will be quickly forgotten despite his great consistency.

Do you agree/disagree with these selections? Also, are there any others that you feel are very under-rated by hockey people in general?

Mike Gartner is over-rated if anything. He was consistent and he did score a boatload of goals. I personally greatly value longevity. But dozens of players were better goal scorers than Gartner but they just did not play as long. Neely keeps being mentioned as a questionable HHOFer... he was a FAR more dominant and better player than Gartner ever was.

Take the division rivals of Gartner's Caps.... I'd easily take Kerr and Propp and Howe over Gartner for the best decade of their careers. And none of these Flyer's are in the HHOF and none of them will probably ever make it to the HHOF.

I am not saying Gartner should not be in the HHOF.. anyone with 700 goals deserves the HHOF. But if I look at the list of the top NHL goal scorers Gartner is 6th all-time.... but he looks ridiculously out of place there.... there are so many great goal scorers that were far better than Gartner... they just did not play as long as he did.

Gartner was never near the best goal scorer in the NHL. He was not among the best forwards or players in the NHL ever.... not fo even a season. His playoffs were not outstanding.

Take the vast majority of HHOFer's... if they had played only 10 or 11 seasons they would still be in the Hall of Fame... If Gartner had played 10 or 12 years he almost certainly would not make the HHOF.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
Most under-rated players... I'll say Mark Howe, Brian Propp, Steve Larmer, Rogie Vachon, Mark Tardif, J.C. Tremblay, Vincent Damphousse, Esa Tikkanen, Craig Simpson, Kevin Stevens, John Vanbiesbrouck.... for starters.

WHA Euro

Sep 20, 2007
Finland
are there any others that you feel are very under-rated by hockey people in general?

Doug Wilson

NHL First All-Star Team (1982)
James Norris Trophy (1982)
NHL Second All-Star Team (1985, 1990)
Played in NHL All-Star Game (1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1990, 1992)

He belongs to HHOF.

HM: Real Cloutier and Gary Suter

raleh

Oct 17, 2005
Dartmouth, NS
The other two members of the punch line are often underrated, Elmer Lach and Toe Blake.

And actually, Bobby Hull gets underrated quite often. People will probably jump all over this but when you belong at either 5th or 6th best all time and most people have you around 10...you get my point.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Dickie Moore is rarely mentioned when going through the list of Montreal Canadien greats. He won back-to-back scoring titles in '58 and '59, setting the single season record for points with 96 in one of those years, which was broken by Bobby Hull several seasons later. He finished his injury-hampered career with 608 points in 719 games. A winner of 6 Stanley Cups, he twice led the playoffs in scoring, finishing second and fourth as well. The second place finish was in 1968 with the Blues, who called him out retirement halfway through the year. The Hockey News ranked him #31 on their all-time list, but I doubt most people would have him their top 100 if asked to simply list players off the top of their head.

Ogopogo*

Denneny is probably the most underrated player in NHL history. He had a top 30 all time career and most people have never even heard his name.

Bathgate and Ullman are quite underrated as well. Gordie Howe surprisingly doesn't get the respect he deserves either.

Mike Gartner is overrated. He was good for a long time but never great.

Nalyd Psycho

Feb 27, 2002
No Bandwagon
Visit site
Gartner is both over and underrated. His boosters try to make him into this forgotten scoring legend and his haters tend to act like he was a 2nd liner.

Clint Benedict, Earl Seibert and Charlie Gardiner are very underrated.

Gardiner died young but his last 4 years place him at the same level as the big name goalies.

Seibert played most of his career in the shadow of Eddie Shore, much like Park with Orr. But is one of the few players in NHL history with no discernable flaws in his game. Yet history mostly remembers him as the guy who "killed" Howie Morenz.

Benedict was the first star goalie and probably the best player in the NHL in it's 1st ten years.

Newsie Lalonde is probably also underrated, it's hard to say because he played in 4 different pro-leagues, but, it wouldn't be out of line to say he's top 10 all-time.

Jungosi

Jan 14, 2007
Rendsburg / Germany
Bobby Smith
Brian Bellows

Bellows isn't underrated , he was a ****ing superstar.

But seriously, what about Frank Boucher? He was the Gretzky of his time ,a superior playmaker and strong defensive player. He rarely gets mentioned. You can also add some stars of the WHA. Andre Lacroix led the Flyers in scoring for two years(68-69,69-70) before he went to the WHA.

Last edited:

Nalyd Psycho

Feb 27, 2002
No Bandwagon
Visit site
Another is Bernie Federko. He gets slagged all the time as though he was a mediocre player. But he was a phenominally consistant playmaker who happened to play on a franchise that didn't get much spotlight at the time.

PensfanUK

Nov 23, 2007
Rigel 7
If anything, Yzerman was overrated, he was diefied.

He was what?

I think he was underrated but thats just my personal opinion, he lacked the skills he used to have, but he was still an inspirational captain and leader, I don't think those qualities get praised enough in any player

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
Agree 100%. The majority of people you talk to will put Yzerman in the top 10 list of all time centres, which is ridiculous.

Most people remember him as an excellent two-way forward known for his leadership, then look at the record book and see all his 50+ goal, 100+ pt seasons, and conclude he was a top-10 forward. These people are forgetting that he was criticized for being a (relatively) weak playoff performer and a (fairly) one-dimensional skater early in his career, while he was scoring at such a high rate. Yzerman has both a higher offense and defensive peak than players like Messier, Lindsay, Trottier, etc., but he never combined them at the same.

Don't want to be too critical of Yzerman, of course. He's one of the most likable NHLers of my lifetime. But I agree that he's become a bit overrated.

Spitfire11

Jan 17, 2003
Ontario
The other two members of the punch line are often underrated, Elmer Lach and Toe Blake.

Two good choices.

Frank Boucher is an excellent choice as well.

I'd also throw in Ted Kennedy, Reed Larson, and Paul Thompson

Lindros has also become under-rated in recent years as people forget how dominant he was.

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver
Two good choices.

Frank Boucher is an excellent choice as well.

I'd also throw in Ted Kennedy, Reed Larson, and Paul Thompson

Lindros has also become under-rated in recent years as people forget how dominant he was.

Paul Thompson and Johnny Gottselig are always the two names that come to mind for me.

Earl Seibert is a great choice as well. He's definitely built up steam since I've been active on the board, but I think he should still be held in higher regard than he is.

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
Just because I've been pimpin' him in another thread, I think Adam Oates gets pretty underrated. I think the fact that he moved around so often had something to do with it (Mark Recchi suffers from this as well IMO). It's hard to think of a guy as a "franchise player" when they play for so many teams.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad