Most surprising stat about your team?

Nightmare1000

May 1, 2017
Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
The most surprising stat I found out about the Calgary Flames is that they have only won 4 playoff series in the last 28 years since their only Stanley Cup win in 1989. Only during 2 of the 13 playoff appearances in those 28 years have they made it past the first round. That means they have had only 1 successful playoff appearance in that time which was the 2004 Stanley Cup playoffs when they made it to the 2004 Stanley Cup Finals and lost in 7 games to the Tampa Bay Lighting since 1989 where the beat the Montreal Canadiens in 6 games to win their only Stanley Cup in their history. It really makes you appreciate teams that have been so successful in the playoffs like the Penguins, Blackhawks, and Kings recently.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
For the main boards: prior to Shattenkirk, the most expensive UFA in the entire organization was Michael Grabner at 1.65 million. The Rangers went years without being big spenders like everyone says they are.

For Rangers fans: our powerplay was 11th in the league last year at over 20%. Rangers fans are so conditioned to our powerplay sucking that they would think it sucks if it was 45%. It really didn't last year. Like, at all.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Sharks:

Our power play was 25th in the league last year
We were 19th in goals for and 5th in goals against
3rd most Conference finals appearances this decade. We have 3, Hawks and Kings have 4. (Fact check? Does any other team have 4?)

Nightmare1000

May 1, 2017
Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
I have a pretty crazy fact that surprises me every time I see it. It's not a stat but I need to share anyways. The Calgary Flames and the Edmonton Oilers haven't played each other in the playoffs since 1991 when the Oilers won in 7 games. When I learned that it made me kind of disappointed. That is 26 years as of today without playing each other in the playoffs. What tops that is even more surprising in that the Toronto Maple Leafs and Montreal Canadiens haven't played each other in the playoffs since 1979. How is that even possible with all the playoff appearances they have had in those 38 years.

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
Per Elite Prospects, Youngest Team, Tallest Team, would think those two numbers would be on different ends of the spectrum:laugh:

Per Mangameslost, 2nd most Injured team in the league and Top 10 in offence, those numbers don't usually correlate either:laugh:

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
I have a pretty crazy fact that surprises me every time I see it. It's not a stat but I need to share anyways. The Calgary Flames and the Edmonton Oilers haven't played each other in the playoffs since 1991 when the Oilers won in 7 games. When I learned that it made me kind of disappointed. That is 26 years as of today without playing each other in the playoffs. What tops that is even more surprising in that the Toronto Maple Leafs and Montreal Canadiens haven't played each other in the playoffs since 1979. How is that even possible with all the playoff appearances they have had in those 38 years.

Well not long after 91 we went from divisional to conference seeding for the playoffs, and the leafs/habs were in separate conferences for a couple decades. Now they are reunited and we are back to divisional playoffs so its only a matter of time till Edmonton/Calgary, Toronto/Montreal hook up for a playoff bout.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Wild were 2nd in GF. Still see people say we are a defensive team

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Not a stat per se, but no Flyer has ever won the Norris, Calder, or Art Ross (Lindros lost to Jagr on a tiebreaker).

Hextall was kind of robbed of the Calder in 87.

How do you win the Vezina as a rookie goalie but NOT the Calder?

:laugh:

Mark Howe also should have won a Norris.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Might as well be a stat from this year. Everybody loves the crashes.

As bad as the Avs were this year (especially on the defensive side of things), they were only 24th in shots allowed and 27th in shots for. Their overall CF% was only 23rd.

And I'm not saying this as a predictor or anything. I honestly thought we'd be way, way back in just about every category.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Habs

Between 1951 and 1960, the Canadiens made the finals every year, winning six times (including a record five straight between 1956 and 1960).

In 1956 the Canadiens established a farm team in Peterborough, now known as the Peterborough Petes of the Ontario Hockey League.

Larry Robinson owns the team record for best +/- in a season with +120 in 1976-77.

The longest undefeated streak in team history is 28 games (23-0-5) from 12/18/1977 to 02/23/1978.

Six Montreal teams have won the Cup including the Canadiens, AAAs, Victorias and Shamrocks. In all there have been 41 titles for the city.

Despite his greatness, Rocket Richard never won a scoring title. The closest he came was finishing one point behind teammate Bernie Geoffrion, 75 points to 74.

Ken Dryden was drafted by the Boston Bruins, 14th overall in the 1964 Amateur Draft. The Canadiens acquired him for three players, none of whom ever played a single game in the NHL.

Between 1971 and 1973 the Canadiens went a club-record 185 consecutive games without being shutout.

During the 1988-89 season, Patrick Roy went undefeated at the Forum posting a 25-0-4 mark.

frankocb

Dawg sez Game ON eh!
May 7, 2015
Future Caniac
Hextall was kind of robbed of the Calder in 87.

How do you win the Vezina as a rookie goalie but NOT the Calder?

:laugh:

Mark Howe also should have won a Norris.

The Flyers' Billy Barber was the hands down better player but lost the Calder to Steve Vickers from the Rags...I think it was 1973(?).

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
The Kings have 1 division title in 49 years of existence. In the 43 years before the 11-12 season, they had been beyond the 2nd round once.

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
Red Wings were among the worst records in the standings so it might be a bit of a surprise they were 9-0 in the shootout.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Isles were 4th in even strength scoring, 26th ranked PP was one of the main reasons our team just missed out.

Just an interesting stat when judging the Isles, a bad PP is the result of lacking top end talent and top end producers other than Tavares but I don't think the depth gets recognized enough. Seems like for a regular on offense or defense whether you're Hickey or Shane Prince you will get 20 points. Bodes well for next year with adding Eberle.

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
Carolina Hurricanes had a pretty weird playoff statistics:

From 97/98 season they were only 5 times in playoffs.

2 times in Stanley Cup finals.

1 Stanley Cup

Plus another appearance in Eastern Conf finals. That means, from year 2002 the were always at least in 3. round. Or semifinals. :handclap:

And now they are 8 season without playoff.

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
Isles were 4th in even strength scoring, 26th ranked PP was one of the main reasons our team just missed out.

Just an interesting stat when judging the Isles, a bad PP is the result of lacking top end talent and top end producers other than Tavares but I don't think the depth gets recognized enough. Seems like for a regular on offense or defense whether you're Hickey or Shane Prince you will get 20 points. Bodes well for next year with adding Eberle.

Sabres were opposite 1st ranked PP at 24.5% , 25th in goals with only 199.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Sid,Geno/Kessel/Letang

Surprising stat about the Penguins is that, despite all the silly accusations of "tanking", they have missed the playoffs just 5 times in the past 30 years.

Pens are also 2 games away from setting the NHL record for consecutive home sell outs. This streak spans 10 seasons.

They legit tanked for Lemieux. Coincidentally, that isn't in your 30 year timeline.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad