Most surprising fighters?

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Fair analysis, but the onus is on Nurse to at least let his opponent drop the gloves before he starts swinging, no matter the emotion he's feeling at that moment.

I respect Nurse for facing Haley like he did (Nurse really should have killed him though, he has 6 inches on Haley), but the impression he left on a lot of people that day is forever ingrained. He probably shouldn't be defined by it, but the court of public opinion is unfair and ruthless.

Come on, he was a 20 year old kid. You've been a kid, things aren't always rational when emotions are high. In his mind it was this simple: Polak ran Hendricks from behind. Hendricks sticks up for all of us. **** Polak. Polak skated right into me after the penalty by the bench. Polak wants to test me. It's on.

Yeah, it wasn't smart, but he didn't know Polak was innocent and Polak skated right into him when emotions were high. He thought **** it's on, remember Nurse is just a kid and wasn't a fighter in junior. I admire him for willing to stick up for teammates.

Not really, Haley is tough and an excellent technical fight. He also has 100+ pro fights. Besides, it's not like Nurse got KOed, he kept fighting and had Haley against the glass at the end. Haley gave Nurse lots of love after the fight. He mentioned how he discussed it with Gazdic before and Nurse was adamant that he wanted to face the consequences. He knew he messed up and wanted to honour the code, that deserves respect.

I think if anything, lots of Sharks fans have said they respect Nurse for that. Nurse also had his best NHL game as a rookie after that. Plus, he took major strides and improved as a Dman this year working on his puck handling with Adam Oates. Sharks fans have been spoiled with Vlasic and Burns, you guys know good Dmen. I think objectively, many Sharks fans will like Nurse even if they don't admit it.

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
But if we're going to judge nurse off going after Polak, why not judge Haley for going after a Goalie, even though the goalie did nothing wrong?

This is deflection at its finest.

Also, Brent Johnson fought back. He actually dropped the glove and blocker. Polak was an unwilling combatant that was going off for a line change. Not relatable, really.

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
Come on, he was a 20 year old kid. You've been a kid, things aren't always rational when emotions are high. In his mind it was this simple: Polak ran Hendricks from behind. Hendricks sticks up for all of us. **** Polak. Polak skated right into me after the penalty by the bench. Polak wants to test me. It's on.

Yeah, it wasn't smart, but he didn't know Polak was innocent and Polak skated right into him when emotions were high. He thought **** it's on, remember Nurse is just a kid and wasn't a fighter in junior. I admire him for willing to stick up for teammates.

Okay but these are just excuses. He's 20 years old and his PFC is almost fully developed. He's responsible for all of his actions. There's a difference between making an irrational decision and jumping a guy at the end of the game, beating him up when he hasn't dropped the gloves, and then continuing to beat him up once you know he hasn't dropped the gloves.

Nurse had 15 fights in junior and 5 fights in professional hockey before this incident occurred. Let's not act like he didn't know what he was doing here...

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Okay but these are just excuses. He's 20 years old and his PFC is almost fully developed. He's responsible for all of his actions. There's a difference between making an irrational decision and jumping a guy at the end of the game, beating him up when he hasn't dropped the gloves, and then continuing to beat him up once you know he hasn't dropped the gloves.

Nurse had 15 fights in junior and 5 fights in professional hockey before this incident occurred. Let's not act like he didn't know what he was doing here...

Compared to Haley's 224 total career fights since junior? (source:http://www.hockeyfights.com/players/1743)

Yeah, real lesson taught sending a 30 year old goon with 224 career fights at a 20 year old kid. Anyways, you created an unnecessary enemy with that type of cruelty. Cruelty always comes full circle again.

Good on Nurse for stepping up and you know what? If he could cave in Polak's face again I would hope he does it again.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
If you've been a boxer for 6 years, 1 punch to Polak and he'll be rolling on the ground covering his face.

Hmm well, not sure if you know much about fighting, but it goes far beyond standing toe-to-toe, especially in a hockey fight. Like I said, Polak isn't a puncher, he's a raw strength fighter, more of a wrestler like Chara, which makes a terrible fighter on skates as far as fans are concerned. I wish I could explain this to someone who'd understand. Watch Chara vs McCabe. McCabe isn't a small guy(6'2 225lbs) and he could throw a punch but against Chara, he was fighting a bear. Chara, like Polak, doesn't know how to throw punches. They don't train(how to fight). Most hockey players don't. Tie Domi did, along with other goons. It actually surprises me that most NHLers don't train in boxing/another fighting sport. It's a hell of a workout despite how useless it can be with skates on. At the same time, most martial arts don't help with skates on but at least it gives you an idea of how to defend yourself. And no, I'm not trying to be some HF boards tough guy, I'm just trying to state reality. My boxing days were a long time ago, far too many concussions. I decline all scraps on or off the ice nowadays, and did most of the time on and off the ice before the brain damage.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Hmm well, not sure if you know much about fighting, but it goes far beyond standing toe-to-toe, especially in a hockey fight. Like I said, Polak isn't a puncher, he's a raw strength fighter, more of a wrestler like Chara, which makes a terrible fighter on skates as far as fans are concerned. I wish I could explain this to someone who'd understand. Watch Chara vs McCabe. McCabe isn't a small guy(6'2 225lbs) and he could throw a punch but against Chara, he was fighting a bear. Chara, like Polak, doesn't know how to throw punches. They don't train(how to fight). Most hockey players don't. Tie Domi did, along with other goons. It actually surprises me that most NHLers don't train in boxing/another fighting sport. It's a hell of a workout despite how useless it can be with skates on. At the same time, most martial arts don't help with skates on but at least it gives you an idea of how to defend yourself. And no, I'm not trying to be some HF boards tough guy, I'm just trying to state reality. My boxing days were a long time ago, far too many concussions. I decline all scraps on or off the ice nowadays, and did most of the time on and off the ice before the brain damage.

Bottom line, Polak should have faced Nurse like a man.

Zero respect for that chump.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Yawn. I'm sure you woulda faced him like a man. Am I right?

Nope. Polak should have stepped up.

This is about them, not me. Polak is 30 years old and 220+ pounds. He's a ***** that Nurse dummied.

Zero respect for that coward, keep him in your locker room.

Last edited:

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
Compared to Haley's 224 total career fights since junior? (source:http://www.hockeyfights.com/players/1743)

What? I'm not talking about in comparison to Haley. You talked Nurse up as a 20 year old kid that wasn't a fighter in juniors. He had 20 fights before the incident happened and always had a reputation as a hard nosed player.

Yeah, real lesson taught sending a 30 year old goon with 224 career fights at a 20 year old kid.

Who else is supposed to fight Nurse? We were going for a playoff run, anyone else was too important or injured or not a good fighter. The only other guy we could have spared was someone like Frazer McLaren, but IIRC he was injured too. And again, you're talking Nurse up as the victim here, he was not.

Anyways, you created an unnecessary enemy with that type of cruelty. Cruelty always comes full circle again.

Cruelty? What? You think having Haley fight Nurse was cruelty? How about what Nurse did to Polak's face? Now thats cruelty.

Good on Nurse for stepping up and you know what? If he could cave in Polak's face again I would hope he does it again.

Didn't you say he was a good defenseman making strides? Why would you want him suspended for even longer this time?

I do find it funny that the moment Nurse lost to Haley the narrative changed from "Nurse is going to kick anyone on the Sharks' ass!" to "The Sharks are so mean for sending a goon after our rookie!"

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
What? I'm not talking about in comparison to Haley. You talked Nurse up as a 20 year old kid that wasn't a fighter in juniors. He had 20 fights before the incident happened and always had a reputation as a hard nosed player.

Who else is supposed to fight Nurse? We were going for a playoff run, anyone else was too important or injured. And again, you're talking Nurse up as the victim here, he was not.

Cruelty? What? You think having Haley fight Nurse was cruelty? How about what Nurse did to Polak's face? Now thats cruelty.

Didn't you say he was a good defenseman making strides? Why would you want him suspended for even longer this time?

I do find it funny that the moment Nurse lost to Haley the narrative changed from "Nurse is going to kick anyone on the Sharks' ass!" to "The Sharks are so mean for sending a goon after our rookie!"

Nah, it's a two way sword. Nurse could have declined but fought anyway, that earned endearment.

You guys are the ones who look bad, really, Haley? 30 year old AHL goon with 224 fights?

20 year old kid who refuses to let Gazdic lay a beating on Haley. Wants to step up, sorry you can't spin this. You guys look bad on this.

At least you got rid of that little ***** Polak, the animosity would be way worse. You can't spin this, the Sharks looks bad in the end no matter what. Oh well, can't wait until 25 year old Nurse bullies Donskoi, Hertl, Labanc, et al.

Just remember, you helped create this beast :laugh:

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
You guys are the ones who look bad, really, Haley? 30 year old AHL goon with 224 fights?

How do we look bad? Haley isn't the one that assaulted another player on the ice and broke his nose. You understand that Haley didn't just fight Nurse for no reason, right?

And, again, who else do we send out besides Haley to fight? Joe Thornton maybe, but he's too important to get injured and you'd probably complain about him fighting Nurse too.

20 year old kid who refuses to let Gazdic lay a beating on Haley. Wants to step up, sorry you can't spin this. You guys look bad on this.

You can't keep playing it off as if Nurse is innocent here. If Gazdic wanted to fight Haley he could have. How do we look bad?

At least you got rid of that little ***** Polak, the animosity would be way worse. You can't spin this, the Sharks looks bad in the end no matter what. Oh well, can't wait until 25 year old Nurse bullies Donskoi, Hertl, Labanc, et al.

Just remember, you helped create this beast :laugh:

What did Polak do wrong? And how do we look bad? Why do you have so much anger built up towards Polak?

I don't get your line of thinking. If I have this straight, your 20 year old tough rookie assaulted an innocent Sharks player and broke his nose. In the next meeting, the only apt and willing forward, Micheal Haley, fought Darnell Nurse in what was a reminder to Nurse (along with the suspension), that he'd have to respond for his unwarranted beating of a respected Sharks defenseman. And somehow the Sharks are the ones that look bad in this situation?

The Sharks and Oilers contending windows wont be matching up (your guys is opening while ours is closing), so I'm not sure why you're super concerned with getting emotionally invested in Sharks games in the future.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
How do we look bad? Haley isn't the one that assaulted another player on the ice and broke his nose. You understand that Haley didn't just fight Nurse for no reason, right?

And, again, who else do we send out besides Haley to fight? Joe Thornton maybe, but he's too important to get injured and you'd probably complain about him fighting Nurse too.

You can't keep playing it off as if Nurse is innocent here. If Gazdic wanted to fight Haley he could have. How do we look bad?

What did Polak do wrong? And how do we look bad? Why do you have so much anger built up towards Polak?

I don't get your line of thinking. If I have this straight, your 20 year old tough rookie assaulted an innocent Sharks player and broke his nose. In the next meeting, the only apt and willing forward, Micheal Haley, fought Darnell Nurse in what was a reminder to Nurse (along with the suspension), that he'd have to respond for his unwarranted beating of a respected Sharks defenseman. And somehow the Sharks are the ones that look bad in this situation?

The Sharks and Oilers contending windows wont be matching up (your guys is opening while ours is closing), so I'm not sure why you're super concerned with getting emotionally invested in Sharks games in the future.

I think they are just still salty that Haley destroyed Nurse.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad