Pro Log Driver
Nov 16, 2009
Started paying attention in 87

Gilmour, Sundin, Matthews HM Damphousse
Andreychuk, Clark, Leeman HM JvR
Mogilny, Marner, Nylander HM Vaive

Jonsson, Kaberle, Rielly NSHM McCabe

The Eagle, The Cat and Cujo HM Andersen

I liked Vaive and was upset he went to Chicago the very next year. Foreshadowing life as a Leaf fan until this point.

Skin Tape Session

Oct 7, 2017
Goalie Alan Bester, he had the best five hole in the leauge, guys sniped it all day on nim. Was really good at flooping around for no reason.

Aki berg, was a special kind of d man...made others around him better simply by being near them.

Nik Antro had this un canny ability to look like he was skating in six inches of mud, most skilled at punching roenick in the back of the head for no reason, him and pokihonski single handledy cost sundin two years of stats you cant teach that!!

Robert reichel had creativity you cant teach, like fooling goalies on penaly shots

Bryan Mcabe was able to turn playing with kaberle and a tire pumping from leetch into a pay day and was so good he scored on his own team to balance out the skill

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
Just looking at skill, without work ethic/size/toughness as factors?
Left-wing: Vincent Damphousse (although he centered as well)/Jason Blake/Joffrey Lupul
Center: Matthews/Sittler/Gilmour
Right-wing: Mitch Marner/Phil Kessel/Rick Vaive
Defense: Brian Leetch / Ian Turnbull / Borje Salming
Goalie: Ed Belfour / Allan Bester / Curtis Joesph

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Andreychuck. Matthews. Mogilny
Salming. Kaberle

Plante

As a young lad my first memory of a favourite player was goalie Jaques Plante. "Oh you were a Habs fan" you might ask. But people forget the legend donned the blue and white for three seasons near the end of his career.

I remember watching him in black and white, thrilled with every save. Surely I must be romanticizing this memory, but looking back at his stats and documentation of his time with the Leafs, it's apparent I was watching one of the truly great goaltending performances.

"Plante who celebrated his 42nd birthday that January, would help transform the surprising Leafs – a team that had finished in last place the season before - to a spot in the playoffs. Plante would play in forty games for Toronto in 1970-71, with a record of 24 wins-11 losses-4 ties, while registering four shutouts. The true measure of Plante’s value to the Leafs that season was exposed on the nights where he was absent from the Toronto goal. Without him the team sputtered to a record of 13 wins-22 losses-4 ties. For the eighth time – to this day an NHL record – Plante would lead the NHL in goals against average, posting a mark of 1.88. (and a staggering .942 pct.) Adding to the magnitude of Plante’s achievement was that the combined goals against average that year for the other Leaf goalies: a mediocre 3.39."

Jacques Plante's Season For The Ages

Last edited:

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
Salming. Kaberle

Plante

As a young lad my first memory of a favourite player was goalie Jaques Plante. "Oh you were a Habs fan" you might ask. But people forget the legend donned the blue and white for three seasons near the end of his career.

I remember watching him in black and white, thrilled with every save. Surely I must be romanticizing this memory, but looking back at his stats and documentation of his time with the Leafs, it's apparent I was watching one of the truly great goaltending performances.

"Plante who celebrated his 42nd birthday that January, would help transform the surprising Leafs – a team that had finished in last place the season before - to a spot in the playoffs. Plante would play in forty games for Toronto in 1970-71, with a record of 24 wins-11 losses-4 ties, while registering four shutouts. The true measure of Plante’s value to the Leafs that season was exposed on the nights where he was absent from the Toronto goal. Without him the team sputtered to a record of 13 wins-22 losses-4 ties. For the eighth time – to this day an NHL record – Plante would lead the NHL in goals against average, posting a mark of 1.88. Adding to the magnitude of Plante’s achievement was that the combined goals against average that year for the other Leaf goalies: a mediocre 3.39."

What this guy said...only, I wasn't old enough to appreciate Plante, so i'll go with Joseph.

Salming, for me epitomizes everything it means to be a Leaf. I was kind of too young to appreciate him as well, but I have seen a lot of video and second hand accounts to realize he was our best defenseman, if not our best player of all time. My dad was a bit of a xenophobe who's favourite player was Keon, but even HE couldn't deny the greatness that was Borje. After the Flyers series, he desisted upon using the term "chicken swede" ever again.

I have to put Matthews at C even though Mats is still my favourite Leaf of all time. Sorry Mats.

Andreychuk was money. Couldn't keep up with today's game, but park his butt in front of the goal on our powerplay and he puts up 60.

Mogilny is probably our most skilled player ever. Matthews might take up that mantle soon. And Kaberle was just smooth as butter. Ice cold. Something today's team needs badly.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Yer old ,aren't ya? I really like yer picks! Can't deny some of the more recent talent though,like Sittler and Macdonald,or Vaives slapshot,Wendells wrister and scrapping is a talent! Eddie in net was so good! And now Marner and Matthews will both be Leaf greats!
Who, me? Old? Just because I remember watching the Leafs win four Cups? Nah!

Yes, this is the type of thread where you can really tell the poster's age by their choices.

Lots of great players, particularly forwards, bit Keon was still the best, and Mogilny had the most pure talent, although not at his best as a Leaf. Reserving my opinion on Matthews and Marner.

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
became a fan in 93. Thought I'd do a serious one.

C
Matthews
Sundin
Gilmour (my fav, what he lacked in pure skill made up for in heart, grit and vision.)

LW
Clark
Andreychuk
Roberts

RW
Mogilny
Marner
Gartner

D
Kaberle
Reilly
McCabe (just for that shot)

G
Belfour
Cujo
Potvin

GoldenGOOSE

Jan 14, 2018
Mogilny is by far the most talented player I ever saw play for the Leafs. Marner looks pretty good so far, but his shot is still pretty poor.

Thomas Kaberle was great till a forechecker finally caught up to him and crushed him.

Cujo and Eddie were pretty stellar.

Mats Sundin wasn't a winner. Didn't like him at all. Obviously he had skill. He came back for the Carolina series and actually brought the team down. Weird that no one caught that. We were up 3-2.

Sweet Leaf

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Mogilny, Matthews, Marner up front.

Have to think more about defence...so many guys are close like McCabe/Kaberle and Reilly/Gards...it's not like we have had 2 guys that really stand out among the others. Salming was before my time.

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
Mogilny is by far the most talented player I ever saw play for the Leafs. Marner looks pretty good so far, but his shot is still pretty poor.

Thomas Kaberle was great till a forechecker finally caught up to him and crushed him.

Cujo and Eddie were pretty stellar.

Mats Sundin wasn't a winner. Didn't like him at all. Obviously he had skill. He came back for the Carolina series and actually brought the team down. Weird that no one caught that. We were up 3-2.
You don’t like first ballot Hall of Fame players with 1350 points?
The record holder for almost all offensive categories in franchise history.

Says a lot about you.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
Who, me? Old? Just because I remember watching the Leafs win four Cups? Nah!

Yes, this is the type of thread where you can really tell the poster's age by their choices.

Lots of great players, particularly forwards, bit Keon was still the best, and Mogilny had the most pure talent, although not at his best as a Leaf. Reserving my opinion on Matthews and Marner.
You got a few years on me,I only witnessed the '67 team but Keon was my favorite,except when I played net,then it was Johnny.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Salming. Kaberle

Plante

"Plante who celebrated his 42nd birthday that January, would help transform the surprising Leafs – a team that had finished in last place the season before - to a spot in the playoffs. Plante would play in forty games for Toronto in 1970-71, with a record of 24 wins-11 losses-4 ties, while registering four shutouts. The true measure of Plante’s value to the Leafs that season was exposed on the nights where he was absent from the Toronto goal. Without him the team sputtered to a record of 13 wins-22 losses-4 ties. For the eighth time – to this day an NHL record – Plante would lead the NHL in goals against average, posting a mark of 1.88. (and a staggering .942 pct.) Adding to the magnitude of Plante’s achievement was that the combined goals against average that year for the other Leaf goalies: a mediocre 3.39."

I was just about to post his name that season by him was crazy good and he was old that season 42 years of age.

I was at a playoff games when we last one the cup so been around a while.

Before this year I would say my favourite player was Keon however Marner is getting close. Glad you mention the snake.

Been around for all the cups in the 60’s just an FYI. But only remember 2 of them

WilliamInLondon

Mar 24, 2016
I've followed the Leafs since 1989, so am basing it from that year onwards.

Mogilny was ridiculous both on the Leafs and prior to that. so smooth, so skilled. became an excellent defensive forward by the mid-to-late point of his career too. such a travesty that he isn't already in the Hall of Fame.

Sundin is up there as well.

defence - has to be Kaberle. In terms of pure speed and talent though, it was probably pre-injury Berard. You assume that if his hockey sense developed, he would have been a perennial Norris trophy contender.

Goaltending - Ed Belfour easily. Potvin and Joseph had elite reflexes and recovery/determination respectively, which made Belfour look boring. But a closer watch would reveal just how technically sound the guy was; he could control angles and rebounds among the best in the game.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
I was just about to post his name that season by him was crazy good and he was old that season 42 years of age.

I was at a playoff games when we last one the cup so been around a while.

Before this year I would say my favourite player was Keon however Marner is getting close. Glad you mention the snake.

Been around for all the cups in the 60’s just an FYI. But only remember 2 of them
Looks like we are about the same vintage, which should tell the younger posters a little about how special this team is when we are whispering Matthews and Marner in the same breath as the Keon's and Gilmour's. Truly a great time to be a Leaf fan.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Looks like we are about the same vintage, which should tell the younger posters a little about how special this team is when we are whispering Matthews and Marner in the same breath as the Keon's and Gilmour's. Truly a great time to be a Leaf fan.

I'm very surprised but filled with glee hearing that. Sundin, Gilmour, Sittler, and Keon are nothing to sneeze at. That Matthews allegedly possesses more skill than those guys is truly something.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
You got a few years on me,I only witnessed the '67 team but Keon was my favorite,except when I played net,then it was Johnny.
I played defence and goal, so it was Horton and Bower for me.
In the late '70's, I got to spend most of a year as a practice goalie for Pete Conacher's Leafs Oldtimers. He told me that my style reminded him of Bower.

Reactions: therealkoho

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
I played defence and goal, so it was Horton and Bower for me.
In the late '70's, I got to spend most of a year as a practice goalie for Pete Conacher's Leafs Oldtimers. He told me that my style reminded him of Bower.
how very cool!!!!

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
Center: Sundin, Matthews, Tavares
Wingers: Kessel, Mogilny, Marner
Defence: Kaberle
Goalie: Ed Belfour

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
He holds the NHL record for most losses by a goaltender.
No he doesn't. Where have you been the last several years? Two guys have passed him, and he's not even close to the guy at number 1.

Anyway, most talented players that I've watched... Hmm. I started watching when I was very young, my earliest memories are of the Burns era.

Sundin did things that very few could. He may have had the best backhand shot in history. Was also deadly accurate with his slapper and could dangle when needed. So incredibly strong on his skates, a handful down low. A real thoroughbred. A guy you could put out in any situation and feel confident.

Goalie, it's Belfour without a shadow of a doubt. Great positionally, incredible reflexes and flexibility for an old guy, calm and composed. Except when someone got near his crease. God help the SOB that wants to stand in front of The Eagle on the powerplay.

On defense, it's Kaberle and it's not remotely close. His skating was beautiful. His ability to carry the puck out of the defensive zone was second to none in his prime. An exceptional passers with eyes all over his head, and a tremendous shot that I'm relatively certain he only used once during his career, and it was in practice.

On the wing, I'm torn. Kessel, for all the criticism he got, was so so SO good to watch. A great skater with a ferocious snapshot that caught everybody off guard. He was a very underappreciated passers as well. Hell, the poor guy got landed with Joey Crabb in one season and still did work.

If not Kessel, gotta be Marner. I said this in December or January of his draft year, the kid is a freakin magician. This kid has more creativity than a Renaissance artist, dangles for days and an ability to see passing lanes that frankly don't seem to exist on the mortal plane. Has a pretty good shot too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad