Most Significant Analytics

The Bob Cole

Ohhhh Baby.
Apr 18, 2004
Centre Ice
Just going to use this thread to post my recent thoughts... it's a question going out to others around here.

We use corsi/fenwick to gauge possession statistics for a team, and in general there's a very good correlation between superior/successful teams and higher corsi/fenwick values.

My question is on an individual player level. If you try to determine individual player value metrics, should there be more value placed on a player who is a more efficient shooter? I.e., a player who puts up similar goal totals (or perhaps for the general question right now, within 5-10 goals) in less shot attempts. In theory, a player directing more shots at the net, but generating similar goal scoring totals is a much less effective player. There's more offensive touches that are relatively ineffective. In the NBA's calculation for PER, field goal attempts are 'penalized', considered negative to player value. What do you guys think, given in team statistics we look at shot attempts so favorably... or maybe direct me to some older work that you've come across from other sites, if you've seen this question before? I know this could dive in to the dirty world of classifying different types of shot value, which I believe is murky at best right now with information available.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad