Most satisfying moments in video games?

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
What are aspects of games that you find to be the most satisfying to experience? They can be specific or general, doesn't matter.

I love getting environment kills in Overwatch (knocking players off an edge to their deaths). My favourite is playing as Pharah and making a well placed concussion blast, knocking off 2/3/4/5 players, but Wrecking Ball is also super fun to use. It's an incredible feeling when you play a ranked game and at the very beginning, you make one of these plays and then your team is able to easily capture the point.

Another would be destroying a barracks in a long, hard fought DoTA 2 game. It's a combination of satisfaction and relief that your team bought some insurance/safety net in tipping the scales in your favour, but not necessarily a slam dunk win.

Also having recently played Dark Souls, it was always a relief to run out of Estus flasks and be running low on health, and then finally find a bonfire to rest at.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Ending of Moden Warfare 3. Ending of the winter chapter in the Last of Us.

blue425

Apr 14, 2007
NYC
www.streetwars.net
Also having recently played Dark Souls, it was always a relief to run out of Estus flasks and be running low on health, and then finally find a bonfire to rest at.

You just described my entire 1st run of Dark Souls.

No matter how many times I see it in Bloodborne it never gets old - PREY SLAUGHTERED.

Really though - beating any From boss. Most of them anyway.

Reactions: 50 Sheas of Grey

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I remember getting Doom and playing it peer-to-peer via dial-up modem with a friend from high school. It was passed around school using a multi-volume compressed zip file across 11 or so diskettes.

It was my first multiplayer experience on separate PCs.

I noticed that you could hear the elevator noise anywhere on the level, so I pushed the button to call it and hid around the corner. Sure enough, my friend came running, and I shot him in the back with a shotgun.

There have been plenty of more challenging kills and accomplishments, but I'll never forget that one.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
One other satisfying multiplayer experience was my first LAN Starcraft game during 1st year university.

We played 8 teams of 2.

I knew that my buddy's base was located in a corner of the map, so I sneaked my army around it as he had vacated it to attack someone else.

I called him up on the phone, and asked him what he was up to. He didn't know my alias.

"Just playing Starcraft."

"Oh yeah? And what's going on right now?"

"Jesus christ!"

"That's right! Suck it!"

Maybe this isn't really in the spirit of the thread.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
It's pretty satisfying to be in an intense fight with a boss, sure that you're going to die at any moment because your health is in single digits, and then get the kill shot. It's most satisfying in games in which you can't see the enemy's health and don't know how much is left.

I remember getting Doom and playing it peer-to-peer via dial-up modem with a friend from high school. It was passed around school using a multi-volume compressed zip file across 11 or so diskettes.

It was my first multiplayer experience on separate PCs.

I noticed that you could hear the elevator noise anywhere on the level, so I pushed the button to call it and hid around the corner. Sure enough, my friend came running, and I shot him in the back with a shotgun.

There have been plenty of more challenging kills and accomplishments, but I'll never forget that one.

I had two friends who sat next to me in History class and one was returning the Doom shareware floppies to the other. The latter asked me if I'd played Doom and I responded with "Dune?" because I'd played that and hadn't heard of a game called Doom. He immediately handed me the floppies and my eyes were opened that afternoon.

I don't remember us playing over modem, but I do remember us going to one of their houses and playing over his LAN, two in separate bedrooms upstairs and the other down in the den. I don't remember any specific kills, but I remember how much more fun it was to play upstairs, where we could hear the friend down the hall yelling and laughing. It was awfully satisfying to surprise and kill him, hear him scream and know that he could hear you laughing.

Last edited:
Reactions: NyQuil

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Loved hitting cross map tomahawk kills at the start of matches in Black Ops 1 and going into theater mode to see how it happened.

Love getting riot shield kills in any CoD that has them. You can just feel the other guy panic as you close in. Still hysterical to this day.

Scoring a nice goal in Chel(or actually making a really nice pass leading to a goal is probably more satisfying)

Getting that loot drop you’ve been grinding for in Borderlands/Diablo

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
Last night in Old School Runescape I was finally able to beat a mini-game/boss that I had been working at for 2-3 days without success. Gotta say that was rather satisfying. Always great to get a rare big-money drop in games like that as well.

In a competitive aspect, getting a clutch win on Apex Legends is also very satisfying for me. Especially if I'm the last player left on my team and I know my teammates are watching me.

Reactions: Vegeta

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
We used to play a lot of Goldeneye at university.

Since there were six of us in the house, and only 2 (and later 3) controllers, we played a lot of "one shot kill" to keep the games moving. It meant that the Klobb was actually usable and the Magnum was a bit of a skill weapon. Playing as Oddjob was illegal. Playing as Baron Samedi was considered a bit arrogant.

But there was no greater pleasure than strafe-running towards someone before you managed to get a weapon, just holding down the SLAP button, as your victim sprayed away at you with the RC-P90, screaming in fear as you got closer and closer.

"WHY WON'T YOU DIE!!???!!"

SLAP!

Dead. Satisfaction guaranteed.

Last edited:
Reactions: x Tame Impala

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
A goal in Rocket League where your opponent rushes out for a 50/50, but you know you're going to reach the ball before them so you slow up so it just dinks over them and crosses the line without bouncing.

Reactions: HanSolo

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
It's pretty satisfying to be in an intense fight with a boss, sure that you're going to die at any moment because your health is in single digits, and then get the kill shot. It's most satisfying in games in which you can't see the enemy's health and don't have much idea how is left.

I read this and then thought of the inverse lol. When you are convinced you're going to die, then make a comeback and get a sense of hope that you're going to win, then you get a bit cocky in the last few seconds and take one misstep and die. Has definitely happened to me before. If my hopes were imaged on a graph, it would look like a giant hill.

-

Getting a perfection in any of the Halo games (finishing a multiplayer match with at least 15 kills and 0 deaths) was always a big feat. I got maybe 6 or 7 of them over the course of my Halo career, which is like 18 years of playing those games.

Also getting a kill that results in the enemy's dead body doing something comical like getting flung across the map. I think of Overwatch and Pharah's ability to quickly fly in the air really high - if you kill her right as she does that, her dead body just shoots up into the clouds and it looks pretty hilarious.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
I was so proud of beating Master Ninja difficulty on the Xbox Ninja Gaiden, I took a grainy picture of it with my phone and sent it to my friends. :laugh:

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
The first time I cleared the very first Destiny raid after 12 consecutive hours of trying and failing with my team, was one of the greatest reliefs from frustration and nerves with pure exhilaration that I've ever experienced.

A goal in Rocket League where your opponent rushes out for a 50/50, but you know you're going to reach the ball before them so you slow up so it just dinks over them and crosses the line without bouncing.
For me it's the few times I take an aerial shot have it bounce off the wall but it bounces perfectly enough to bounce into my flight path to do a redirected shot. Or attempting and succeeding at a total desperation save when it seems like I'm too far to get to it, especially if I don't actually see the ball before it happens. I know there's a strong element of luck to that but it's an exhilarating moment.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I read this and then thought of the inverse lol. When you are convinced you're going to die, then make a comeback and get a sense of hope that you're going to win, then you get a bit cocky in the last few seconds and take one misstep and die. Has definitely happened to me before. If my hopes were imaged on a graph, it would look like a giant hill.

That's what often happens when I can see how much health the enemy has remaining. If it's just a sliver and I know that I need to hit him or only once or twice more, I'll get over-confident that I'll win and, thus, get sloppy and die.

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
Bit of a lazy one, but in GTA online, dropping the insurgent off at Humane labs for the heist setup with a bunch of randoms always felt like an accomplishment... in fact the only thing that makes that mission hard is the other players who have no concept of stealth.

kinda a like stealing the car off the boat, I find I need to get on the boat and get the car before the other player has turned up.

Non GTA would be playing Smite, which I’m very average at, playing joust and having a good comeback win, or being able to dominate the opposition being a player down.

Reactions: Rodgerwilco

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Anytime I quickly get through a puzzle on Celeste on the first or 100th try. So satisfying!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad