Most Recent NHL.com Mock Drafts

arsmaster*

http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=69365

2 things that jump out at me right away.

Beaulieu at 9th to Boston on 2 of them are okay, but Hoffner has Beaulieu 4th to New Jersey ahead of Adam Larsson.

Is this guy trying to drum up speculation and chatter or is he HIGH?

The other issue, I see as a Canucks fan, is that Matt Puempel is 25th, 30th, and outside of the first round.

This kid is a top 15 talent, I dont see him dropping out of round 1, he wont drop past the Canucks if my wishes came true.

CoolburnIsGone

I think Hoffner is high as a kite on some of his picks. I seriously doubt that Beaulieu goes before both Larsson AND Murphy (not to mention Siemens). Plus look at his pick for Washington at #26, I dont buy that they'd be drafting a goalie. Not to mention having Max Friberg in the 1st round seems like a bit of a reach (but could see him going in the 2nd round).

I like the Morreale one as I had a hard time disagreeing with most of his picks top to bottom. Puempel may be a little low at #30 but still think he'll go somewhere in the 20-30 range.

AUAIOMRN

Aug 22, 2005
Edmonton
The chance of the Oilers taking a goalie at 19 is equal to 1/N, where N is the number of protons in the universe.

arsmaster*

Hoffner's is brutal.

Bruins taking Bartschi over Murphy at 9th.

Catenacci to Colorado at 11th???

Namestnikov to Calgary at 13th??? Not the way to start the rebuild.

Zibanejad dropping into the 20's.

Phoenix drafting a goalie in the first round again???? Visentin and Domingue were drafted last year....that move makes zero sense.

Prince to San Jose is a play on Wilson's love of 67's, but doesnt fit....way too many better players not on the list make more sense.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
The chance of the Oilers taking a goalie at 19 is equal to 1/N, where N is the number of protons in the universe.

I'll assume this is supposed to be a hilarious (???) way of saying ZERO chance and agree? I didn't mind the other 2 drafts that had the Oil landing Oleksiak, no matter how ridiculous the Hoffner one was (Armia @ 30? Beaulieu @ 4? SC @8? Zibenejad @21?)

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
These are annually the worst mock drafts out there

I'd agree with that. They don't seem to take into account team needs or who they picked in previous years plus far too many off the wall selections.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
No way are the Oilers going to pick a goalie with their 1st around. If anything, it's the 3rd round or later. If Mark Scheifele is still around at the 19th overall, the Oilers will not hesitate and jump on the gas.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
The NHL.com ones are always just terrible. I'm not sure if they do it to draw attention to themselves or because their guys are just stupid and don't know anything.

On a related note, Catenacci to the Avs at 11 wouldn't shock me at all. He just kind of suits what they look for in a player. But if they pass up a guy like Bartschi or McNeill for him I will be PISSED.

Pitt9050

May 16, 2011
Pittsburgh
Yea I am not sure about all of this; not knowing much about the individual prospects it doesnt seem like some things are adding up. Khokhlachev the last pick? Oilers goaltender, Phoenix drafting 2 goaltenders in consecutive drafts?

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I'd agree with that. They don't seem to take into account team needs or who they picked in previous years plus far too many off the wall selections.

It seems they take into account the needs of the current roster, not the needs within the organizational depth -- they're mis-focused.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
The NHL.com ones are always just terrible. I'm not sure if they do it to draw attention to themselves or because their guys are just stupid and don't know anything.

On a related note, Catenacci to the Avs at 11 wouldn't shock me at all. He just kind of suits what they look for in a player. But if they pass up a guy like Bartschi or McNeill for him I will be PISSED.

If Catenacci is their guy then they should probably try moving back a few places and picking up a few extra picks.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
That Hoffner one is hilarious. All kinds of bizarre choices and doesn't really seem aware of team needs in a lot of cases either.

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB

Ya, I'm worried about this as well. Obviously, less talent will be on the board at 19, but I'm afraid we find a way to trade up and then take a guy we could have easily got at 19 anyways. It's less about the player, more about who we left on the board.

I'm pleased with 2 of the mocks since we take Oleksiak, even though all the mocks are kinda odd.

Trunz05

Dec 2, 2010
Wow I'd be PISSED if the leafs left the first round with Biggs and Miller, especially given other players these guys have available. I know they are just mock drafts but these are bad.

Madic

May 21, 2008
The other issue, I see as a Canucks fan, is that Matt Puempel is 25th, 30th, and outside of the first round.

This kid is a top 15 talent, I dont see him dropping out of round 1, he wont drop past the Canucks if my wishes came true.
Puempel won't drop past 16 or 17, I don't think. And that's a conservative estimate. There's only so many safe picks that can be made before some team looks at Puempel's upside and grabs him.

arsmaster*

Puempel won't drop past 16 or 17, I don't think. And that's a conservative estimate. There's only so many safe picks that can be made before some team looks at Puempel's upside and grabs him.

I think Puempel goes top 12, but I can dream,right?

I honestly dont think Morrale or Kimmelman's are that bad, Hoffner's is freaking terrible though.

It seems they take into account the needs of the current roster, not the needs within the organizational depth -- they're mis-focused.

I dont think many teams focus on need in the first round anyways.

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
Wow I'd be PISSED if the leafs left the first round with Biggs and Miller, especially given other players these guys have available. I know they are just mock drafts but these are bad.

I understand the concern with Biggs, but why JT Miller? He's got a lot of game, is a great skater, can bring offense, and has a good 2-way game. You could do A LOT worse IMO.

Anyways, I don't think Miller is going to make it to 25, so you probably don't have to worry. If you get him at 25, you probably got a steal. Plus, at 25, it's not like there are a ton of players you'd be passing up at that point.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Kimelman and Morreale's mock drafts would be perfect for the Avs. That's what most of the fans are hoping for.

2. Larsson
11. Zibanejad

or

2. Landeskog
11. Siemens

But I want nothing to do with Catenacci.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Surprisingly the non Hoffner ones are not terrible like they usually are, but my my Hoffners makes up for that with one of the worst I've seen. They rely way too much on the CSS list to do theirs, which is a brutal way to do it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad