Most players in a playoff series that played on both teams

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
this seems weird and came to mind. in the 1986 campbell's finals, there were lots of players on both sides that either had previously played for the opposing team, or would go on to play for the opposing team.

by my count,

CALGARY

al macinnis - calgary's co-leading scorer in that playoffs, would go on to win the conn smythe in calgary, traded to st louis in the mid-90s, would eventually win a norris and almost a second norris in st louis

joe mullen - calgary's other co-leading scorer in that playoffs, had just been traded from st louis to calgary that trade deadline

terry johnson - a depth defenseman who also came calgary's way in the mullen deal; i actually have no idea who this guy is but he played the majority of calgary's games in that year's finals run, including 5/7 games in this series

dan quinn - calgary's leading scorer in that year's regular season, eventually traded to pittsburgh for mike bullard (himself later traded to st louis in the disastrous gilmour trade), then via vancouver would be traded to st louis in the disastrous butcher + quinn for courtnall, ronning, momesso, and dirk trade; quinn played out the year in st louis before being let go as a free agent for minnesota, where he would also soon be terminated after allegedly assaulting a woman with mario in the room

steve bozek - another future canuck, traded to st louis in the controversial brett hull trade, then involved in another CAL-STL deal, the lesser known third part of the gilmour trade that saw bozek and paul reinhart going to vancouver for a third round pick

ST LOUIS

doug gilmour - the co-leading scorer of that playoffs, eventually given away to calgary in the aforementioned disastrous trade, scores the cup-winning goal for calgary in 1989, then given away to toronto in an even more disastrous trade

rob ramage - came to calgary in the aforementioned hull trade, stepped up bigtime as a two-way defenseman after suter got hurt in the first round against vancouver en route to the cup; traded to toronto after the cup win for the pick that became kent manderville (himself later traded to toronto as part of the disastrous gilmour trade) and preceded gilmour as leafs captain (buffered by three years of wendel clark)

rick wamsley - the third guy in the hull trade, backed up vernon during the cup run; later traded to toronto in the disastrous gilmour trade

ric nattress - traded from st louis to calgary for a couple of mid-round picks at the 1987 draft, was a bottom pair guy on the '89 cup team, later also accompanied gilmour and wamsley in the disaster to end all disasters

mark hunter - st louis' leading goal scorer with a career high 44 goals in that year's regular season, later traded to calgary with gilmour and bozek in the first gilmour disaster, was on the '89 cup team

gino cavallini - acquired from calgary in the mullen trade, would become a longtime blue and did some solid time spelling future flame (and former canuck) dave lowry on brett hull's line in '91

ed beers - also just acquired in the mullen trade, for some reason never played again after that season even though he was in mid-twenties and coming off seasons of 36 goals/75 points and 28 goals/68 points

charlie bourgeois - the third former flame in the mullen trade, don't know much about him but he was a big guy who played a regular shift on d

greg paslawski - st louis' leading goal scorer in that playoffs, kicked around for a few teams before ending his NHL career in calgary, where he scored three goals in the crazy shootout series against LA; found his way back to the blues franchise, playing three seasons for their IHL team before retiring as a player

kevin lavallee - journeyman who began his career on the flames in the early '80s before being traded to LA for steve bozek; signed with pittsburgh as a free agent after this season

that's fifteen guys out of the fifty total players who played in the series. seems like a lot, and includes four major trades involving hall of famers (mullen from STL to CAL, gilmour from STL to CAL, hull from CAL to STL, macinnis from CAL to STL), three of them complete unmitigated disasters and the other one extremely controversial. involved are three hall of famers, 3/4 of those teams' leading playoff point scorers, each team's leading playoff goal scorer, calgary's leading RS point scorer, st louis' leading RS goal scorer, and st louis' goalie.

that series was decided by a 2-1 game seven; i wonder if st louis would have won and gone to the finals if the two teams hadn't done the mullen trade earlier that year.

Reactions: quoipourquoi

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Yeah, it's got to be something like the above, where two teams -- whose managers frequently make deals -- meet in the playoffs. I had noticed that about that Calgary-St.Louis thing before, so I wonder if the 15 players you mention isn't the unofficial record...

A year later was the 1987 Edmonton - L.A. series, featuring the following players who eventually played for both teams:
- Gretzky
- Kurri
- Huddy
- Krushelnyski
- Coffey
- McSorley
- Fuhr
- Nicholls
- Carson

But that's "only" 9, which pales by comparison!

mrhockey193195

Nov 14, 2006
Denver, CO
The 1994 finals had the following:

- Mark Messier
- Doug Lidster
- Esa Tikkanen
- Brian Noonan
- Sergei Nemchinov
- Joe Kocur
- Pavel Bure
- Kirk McLean
- John McIntyre
- Sergio Momesso
- Nathan LaFayette

It' doesn't beat the Calgary-STL series, but 11 for the SC Final seems pretty high!

Reactions: vadim sharifijanov

LightningStorm

Lightning/Mets/Vikings
Dec 19, 2008
Pacific NW, USA
Wow, what a great topic!

The Tampa vs NYR 2015 ECF fit this thread pretty well, occurring a season after they had traded captains. Their current captain at the time (Ryan McDonagh) would also get traded to Tampa 3 years later.

Lightning
Ryan Callahan, as mentioned in the captains trade at the deadline the previous season.
Anton Stralman, who signed with Tampa the previous offseason.
Brian Boyle, who also signed with Tampa that offseason with Stralman.
Vlad Namestnikov, traded to NY 3 years later in the McDonagh trade.

Rangers
Dan Boyle, who was in his first season with the Rangers following his 6 seasons in SJ after his time in Tampa.
Dominic Moore, who had previously played 2 seasons with the Lightning.
Martin St. Louis, the other captain in the aforementioned captains trade the year before.
Dan Girardi, who would play 2 more seasons with the Rangers before signing with the Lightning.
Ryan McDonagh, who got traded to Tampa 3 seasons later.
JT Miller, who was included in the McDonagh trade.

10 players total! Before looking up both rosters from that series, I had even forgotten about D. Boyle and Moore.

Last edited:

LightningStorm

Lightning/Mets/Vikings
Dec 19, 2008
Pacific NW, USA
Also, great work OP with the 15 players you found in the 1986 Calgary/St. Louis series. A realization I had reading the OP with the Flames and Blues is one team has traded a hall of famer to the other 4 TIMES! Mullen, Gilmour, Hull and MacInnis all in a 9 year period (1986-1995). Are there any other 2 pairs of teams that come close?

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
A realization I had reading the OP with the Flames and Blues is one team has traded a hall of famer to the other 4 TIMES! Mullen, Gilmour, Hull and MacInnis all in a 9 year period (1986-1995). Are there any other 2 pairs of teams that come close?
Some great work by Ron Caron there. Just sterling management.

Many indirect trades led to HOF ex-Oilers on the Kings and Rangers.
Kings:
Gretzky
Kurri
Coffey
Fuhr

Rangers:
Messier
Anderson
Kurri
(Graves)
(Tikkanen)

But that's another topic.

LightningStorm

Lightning/Mets/Vikings
Dec 19, 2008
Pacific NW, USA
Some great work by Ron Caron there. Just sterling management.

Many indirect trades led to HOF ex-Oilers on the Kings and Rangers.
Kings:
Gretzky
Kurri
Coffey
Fuhr

Rangers:
Messier
Anderson
Kurri
(Graves)
(Tikkanen)

But that's another topic.
Fellow dynasty Oilers joining Gretzky in LA and Messier in NY definitely is a popular topic. Along with Gretzky and Messier, Edmonton traded Kurri, Graves and Tikkanen directly to either NY or LA, with Graves being part of the Messier trade. Trying to remember which players on your list went directly from Edmonton to NY or LA also refreshed my memory on Fuhr and Anderson getting traded together from Edmonton to Toronto in 1991.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Fellow dynasty Oilers joining Gretzky in LA and Messier in NY definitely is a popular topic. Along with Gretzky and Messier, Edmonton traded Kurri, Graves and Tikkanen directly to either NY or LA, with Graves being part of the Messier trade. Trying to remember which players on your list went directly from Edmonton to NY or LA also refreshed my memory on Fuhr and Anderson getting traded together from Edmonton to Toronto in 1991.
Yep. Graves wasn't actually part of the Messier trade, though. He was just signed as a free agent, about a month prior to the Messier trade.

Staniowski

Jan 13, 2018
The Maritimes
Also, great work OP with the 15 players you found in the 1986 Calgary/St. Louis series. A realization I had reading the OP with the Flames and Blues is one team has traded a hall of famer to the other 4 TIMES! Mullen, Gilmour, Hull and MacInnis all in a 9 year period (1986-1995). Are there any other 2 pairs of teams that come close?
Also, Housley was part of the MacInnis trade.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
i can't find anything else close to 15, but three more tenners, which all have one thing in common—

1988 finals: 1. moog, 2. linseman, 3. moe lemay, 4. greg hawgood, and 5. reed larson on boston, 6. ranford (backup), 7. geoff courtnall, 8. mactavish, 9. krushelnyski, 10. mcsorley, with bonus points for 11. steve kasper (BOS), who was part of the edmonton-LA-philly three-way trade that landed kurri in LA, mellanby in edmonton, and steve duchesne in philly, though kasper went from LA to philly and didn't actually ever play in edmonton

the moog for ranford and courtnall and (haha) lemay for may trades happened that trade deadline

1995 first round: 1. tikkanen, 2. murray baron, 3. doug lidster, and 4. david roberts on the blues, 5. geoff courtnall again, 6. ronning, 7. momesso, 8. jeff brown, and 9. hedican on vancouver, with a technical 10. for glenn anderson (STL), who after infuriating the canucks in this series would be signed out of the german league midway through the next season by the very same canucks but didn't make it through waivers (he was claimed by the oilers)

* Anderson went through two practices with Vancouver, but before he could appear in a game, the Canucks had to put him on waivers. Sather and the Oilers quickly pounced on Anderson, stealing his dream of playing for his hometown Canucks. The move was also a shrewd one by Edmonton because the Oilers knew that St. Louis had also put in a waivers claim for Anderson. In March 1996, Edmonton was able to swing a deal in which the Blues sent David Roberts to Edmonton in exchange for the Oilers promise to put put Anderson back on waivers so that St. Louis could claim him. (note: the canucks signed david roberts, who had put up six points in six games as an oiler, as a free agent in the summer of '96, so i guess in a roundabout way they got theirs too)

1990 third round: 1. you guessed it, geoff courtnall again, 2. stephen leach, 3. bob joyce, and 4. alan may on washington, and 5. carpenter, 6. galley, 7. burridge, 8. christian, 9. poulin, and 10. bob gould on boston

boston and washington made three trades that season: christian for joyce, gould for alain cote (in the minors), and mike millar for alfie turcotte (both in the minors). no idea whether we can count one or all three of the farmhands as black aces in the playoffs.

LightningStorm

Lightning/Mets/Vikings
Dec 19, 2008
Pacific NW, USA
The 1994 finals had the following:

- Mark Messier
- Doug Lidster
- Esa Tikkanen
- Brian Noonan
- Sergei Nemchinov
- Joe Kocur
- Pavel Bure
- Kirk McLean
- John McIntyre
- Sergio Momesso
- Nathan LaFayette

It' doesn't beat the Calgary-STL series, but 11 for the SC Final seems pretty high!
I thought the 2000 SCF would hold the record for the finals with 10, but this beats it by one! Never realized '94 had this many players who played for both teams. Messier and Bure would've been the only 2 I could've named off the top of my head.

Speaking of the 2000 SCF, here are the 10 players who played for both Dallas and New Jersey.

Stars:
Kirk Muller
Shawn Chambers
Joe Nieuwendyk
Jamie Langenbrunner
Grant Marshall
Richard Matvichuk
Brad Lukowich

Devils:
Jason Arnott
Randy McKay
Claude Lemieux

Chambers, Nieuwendyk, Langenbrunner, and Marshall won cups with both teams. 4 of the players were involved in the trade 2 years after this series that sent Nieuwendyk and Langenbrunner to NJ and Arnott and McKay to Dallas. Funny how Arnott scored the cup clinching OT goal against the team he got traded to 2 years later.

Reactions: mrhockey193195

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
I thought the 2000 SCF would hold the record for the finals with 10, but this beats it by one! Never realized '94 had this many players who played for both teams. Messier and Bure would've been the only 2 I could've named off the top of my head.

Speaking of the 2000 SCF, here are the 10 players who played for both Dallas and New Jersey.

Stars:
Kirk Muller
Shawn Chambers
Joe Nieuwendyk
Jamie Langenbrunner
Grant Marshall
Richard Matvichuk
Brad Lukowich

Devils:
Jason Arnott
Randy McKay
Claude Lemieux

Chambers, Nieuwendyk, Langenbrunner, and Marshall won cups with both teams. 4 of the players were involved in the trade 2 years after this series that sent Nieuwendyk and Langenbrunner to NJ and Arnott and McKay to Dallas. Funny how Arnott scored the cup clinching OT goal against the team he got traded to 2 years later.

i thought about that one, and it was a close call. but chambers and lukowich didn't play in that series, or at all for dallas in those playoffs in fact.

it's too bad dallas and new jersey didn't hook up in the 2002 playoffs, when dallas had the devils' entire late 80s forward core of mullen, maclean, and verbeek. there were ten former/future devils on dallas' roster that year, though the arnott/mckay for nieuwendyk/langenbrunner and kamensky trades happened mid-year so all ten never played for dallas at the same time.

Staniowski

Jan 13, 2018
The Maritimes
In 1970, 5 of Boston's top 6 scorers in the playoffs played for Chicago either before or after.

Esposito, Orr, McKenzie, Stanfield, and Hodge. I think there might have been a couple others too.

They played Chicago in those playoffs.

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
I found 19 for the '64 Final between Toronto and Detroit

Brewer
Baun
Hillman
Kelly
Mahovlich
McKenney
Bathgate
Ehman
Harris
Litzenberger
Ullman
M. Pronovost
Smith
Jeffrey
MacDonald
Henderson
Joyal
MacMillan
Sawchuk

Like Calgary and St. Louis in '86, the total was helped by several trades between the two teams.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
I found 19 for the '64 Final between Toronto and Detroit

Brewer
Baun
Hillman
Kelly
Mahovlich
McKenney
Bathgate
Ehman
Harris
Litzenberger
Ullman
M. Pronovost
Smith
Jeffrey
MacDonald
Henderson
Joyal
MacMillan
Sawchuk

Like Calgary and St. Louis in '86, the total was helped by several trades between the two teams.

wow that's incredible. i guess post-expansion you'd expect teams that trade with each other all the time to be in opposite conferences and rarely if ever see each other in the playoffs.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Does the player have to have already played for both teams?

Someone pointed out the '94 Finals and Pavel Bure, but Bure didn't play for the Rangers until years later

LightningStorm

Lightning/Mets/Vikings
Dec 19, 2008
Pacific NW, USA
Does the player have to have already played for both teams?

Someone pointed out the '94 Finals and Pavel Bure, but Bure didn't play for the Rangers until years later
Nope, either they previously played for the other team or they did in the future. For example, with the OP mentioning the Flames/Blues series, several of the key players didn't play for the other team until after that '86 series.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad