Most overrated player in the NHL?

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
He scored vs Washington in a game they were eliminated and scored in OT vs Colombus to extend the series. So no i don't need to look
do you understand the games they were eliminated in lol most overrated player ever 1 goal in 8 games they were critical for the Leaf's lives a 10-goal pace for a whole season lol he is there for the fat cheques Leafs gave him and nothing else. give him the Selke for checking himself

Last edited:

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I think an argument can be made for Matthews even though he’s a top 5 forward.
He often gets compared to the other 4 guys who have all had big playoff years.
He’s below those guys imo because of his playoff resume.
That said, he’s still top 5 which is a heck of a player.

ciderfylla

Dec 28, 2015
I think an argument can be made for Matthews even though he’s a top 5 forward.
He often gets compared to the other 4 guys who have all had big playoff years.
He’s below those guys imo because of his playoff resume.
That said, he’s still top 5 which is a heck of a player.
He's playing on the Leafs, though. Can't be racking up a lot of points on a team that never survives. :sarcasm:

WayTooCold

Jun 9, 2023
Byfuglien the guy ate too much and didn't train enough.
Look at Jaromir Jagr still playing!

Patrik Laine just played PlayStation all the time.

Matthews is clearly aiming at Gretzky's 894 record. A few more 70 goals seasons and he's pretty much there.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I think we have a consensus: the most overrated player in the league is my most hated team's best player.

Reactions: pouf pouf

K1900L

Dec 27, 2019
Matthews, still. Not because he isn't a great player, but because he simply has been hyped too much over the years, both by fans and by media (where Toronto has a massive thing to say), which had a great interest in talking into existence a rivalry that has never been there. They always wanted their new era Crosby vs Ovechkin-narrative but didn't consider that there are at least three more forwards who could have a word to say.

Matthews is considered to be a great player due to his goal-scoring. A quality that completely evaporates once the games begin to have a meaning. And there is nothing left underneath that makes him more than just a good player otherwise, in contrast to Draisaitl, Kucherov or MacKinnon.

He is a fantastic player, no doubt. But clearly at least one tier below where influential people consider him to be.

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam
Matthews, still. Not because he isn't a great player, but because he simply has been hyped too much over the years, both by fans and by media (where Toronto has a massive thing to say), which had a great interest in talking into existence a rivalry that has never been there. They always wanted their new era Crosby vs Ovechkin-narrative but didn't consider that there are at least three more forwards who could have a word to say.

Matthews is considered to be a great player due to his goal-scoring. A quality that completely evaporates once the games begin to have a meaning. And there is nothing left underneath that makes him more than just a good player otherwise, in contrast to Draisaitl, Kucherov or MacKinnon.

He is a fantastic player, no doubt. But clearly at least one tier below where influential people consider him to be.

i hate the leafs and matthews but this and everyone saying matthews is just nonsensical reaching based on obvious bias.

pekka55

Dec 21, 2023
i hate the leafs and matthews but this and everyone saying matthews is just nonsensical reaching based on obvious bias.
Matthews blows his load in the regular season and doesn't have the energy to compete harder in the playoffs. Good for him though, he gets a long summer vacation.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Matthews most overrated ? Ok most ? Don’t think so. 69 goals is not easy for anyone let alone a centre man.

Dave92

Oct 9, 2019

Matthews was second in both takeaways and blocked shots among forwards and is only player to ever win the goalscoring title and be nominated for the Selke in the same season. But he's a one dimensional goal scorer.

You clearly know a lot about hockey.

Buck Naked

Can't-Stand-Ya
Aug 18, 2016
Matthews was second in both takeaways and blocked shots among forwards and is only player to ever win the goalscoring title and be nominated for the Selke in the same season. But he's a one dimensional goal scorer.

You clearly know a lot about hockey.

I don't think he's overrated other than when the post season starts, but being a finalist for the Selke don't really say that much.

Matthews is 221st in the league among forwards with over 500 minutes played in GA/60. Barkov is 8th. Matthews is 151st in xGA/60. Barkov is 9th. Matthews is 158th in HDCA/60. Barkov is 10th. Why Matthews is a Selke candidate is baffling to be honest.

Reactions: K1900L and Lannes

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
I don't think he's overrated other than when the post season starts, but being a finalist for the Selke don't really say that much.

Matthews is 221st in the league among forwards with over 500 minutes played in GA/60. Barkov is 8th. Matthews is 151st in xGA/60. Barkov is 9th. Matthews is 158th in HDCA/60. Barkov is 10th. Why Matthews is a Selke candidate is baffling to be honest.
Second among forwards in takeaways and blocked shots, fifth in even strength ice time, seventh in plus minus (Staal was -14 on Carolina somehow, don't see anyone complaining about this) etc.

Look, Barkov will win it, but there are stats that show that Matthews is good defensively, and among the top in the league in certain categories. Not really a big deal that he was a finalist only to come 2nd or 3rd. People need to relax (not you).

Dave92

Oct 9, 2019

you sure about that?

Last edited:

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Second among forwards in takeaways and blocked shots, fifth in even strength ice time, seventh in plus minus (Staal was -14 on Carolina somehow, don't see anyone complaining about this) etc.

Look, Barkov will win it, but there are stats that show that Matthews is good defensively, and among the top in the league in certain categories. Not really a big deal that he was a finalist only to come 2nd or 3rd. People need to relax (not you).
Alex Tuch had more TKA/60, less GVA/60, more BLK/60 and was +9. Why, if those are the argument, is Tuch not the one being nominated?

You can just do the fair thing and say "well, he doesn't deserve to be there even if he's not bad defensively".

You sure as hell won't see me support any norris Nominations to Matheson if it ever happens.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad