Most overpaid player in the league?

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Marian Gaborik
Brian Campbell
Jay Bouwmeester

those are the guys that all come to mind for me immediately. Not a surprise that all were signed from elsewhere as UFAs.

I'm fine with what Staal brings (at least this year) for what he's locked up at. It's no discount, but he's been one of the best players in the league so far. Vanek, another popular choice before this year, should be shedding that label. I think you could count Semin but it's just a one-year, if he's getting paid like this long-term then yes but on a one year deal all bets are off.

Our most overpaid? Probably Ruutu, he's still a guy we needed to keep around, but he should be making Jussi Jokinen money, certainly not more then Joni Pitkanen.

Beardy*

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
****, forgot about Leino since he's been THAT godawful. Yes, by FAR the worst contract in the league right now, and this is one of the few times where it actually really isn't even close.

TheBigKahuna

Dec 6, 2010
Canes Country
Leino is a horrible contract!

I think "any Islanders goalie" would fit here too!

Amazing how tame the Jeff Finger deal looks now, after guys like Gleason have new contracts. When Finger got 4 years for $12 million, people flipped out! Hah, that's nothing today!

Beardy*

****, forgot about Leino since he's been THAT godawful. Yes, by FAR the worst contract in the league right now, and this is one of the few times where it actually really isn't even close.

lol he got paid $1M per goal he scored last year. Most valuable 6 goals anyone has ever scored.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Leino is a horrible contract!

I think "any Islanders goalie" would fit here too!

Amazing how tame the Jeff Finger deal looks now, after guys like Gleason have new contracts. When Finger got 4 years for $12 million, people flipped out! Hah, that's nothing today!

At the time the Finger contract was absolutely brutal, and it still is now. Gleason's at least a very competent 2nd pairing dman, Finger was never anything even close to that. #6/7 guy who got what was, at the time, #3 dman money.

rocky7

DAT 13
Feb 9, 2013
God's country
Don't know around the league; lots of players. The Parise and Suter contracts are too much. But Ward's and E. Staals seem out of whack to me too.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
Ruutu being injured seems to be the key to calling his contract terrible. If he put up 20g/30a, and played his physical game, he'd be worth, what? 4? 4.5?

TheBigKahuna

Dec 6, 2010
Canes Country
Ruutu being injured seems to be the key to calling his contract terrible. If he put up 20g/30a, and played his physical game, he'd be worth, what? 4? 4.5?

Considering his average career seasonal numbers are 17.4g and 25a per, I'd say he's quite overpaid. The guy has average 42p per season over the last 5 seasons, only 1 of which was drastically shortened by injuries. He played on 54 games one year, and at least 70 in the other 4 I used.

If very 42 point per season made $5m per season, everyone would be having cap issues!

No two ways about it, Ruutu, in my opinion, is grossly overpaid.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
21g 29a per 82 with the Canes

For a physical guy, that hits and is good in front of the net, again, probably worth closer to 4 than 5. But when he's on the ice, I think he's been playing, over the past few years, at a 4 million+ level.

5 million if he were in the lineup tonight next to Jordan instead of Bowman or Larose would feel like a steal!

WWAD

Aug 20, 2009
So far this season Tyler Myers has to be the winner. $12 mil for 3 points and -7 a third of the way into the season.

Anton Babchuk

Nov 3, 2005
Raleigh-Durham
twitter.com
Pro-rating stats to 82 games for a guy like Ruutu is pointless.

It also ignores his decline. What was his 82-game pace last year?

Fact: Ruutu has 34 real points since the start of last season, a span in which the Carolina Hurricanes have played 97 games.

Chad LaRose has 33.

Identity404

I'm not superstitious, but I am a little stitious
Nov 5, 2005
Washington DC
No that's still Dipetro.

Yeah, you're right. Ward's name is usually brought up by fans of other teams in threads about overpaid goaltenders. That's why I said he is "in the argument". I'm not even one to support that argument. I do agree that is is overpaid though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad