Most off-the-board pick of all-time

12# Peter Bondra

Apr 15, 2004
Salei being picked 9th OA despite being 22 years old at the time seems a bit strange.

If he was so good, why wasnt he drafted earlier? :dunno:

john g

Mar 6, 2002
Korbi
Most successful off-the-board pick -- Pavel Bure

Kudos to the 'Nucks for doing due diligence

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Pretty much.

They felt he was the most skilled/talented player in the entire draft (which really wasn't a stretch as the guy has incredible natural skill).

He missed the whole year before due to a torn abdominal muscle, if I remember correctly and has had problems with that and other injuries ever since.

There is probably not a SINGLE PICK in the history of the draft as bizarre as the selection of Foster (at least as a 1st round pick).

I remember watching that pick, there was a long delay because not only was he not even ranked, but the CSB didn't even have him in their database. The Devils knew they were taking him because they told him to be at the draft.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
Most successful off-the-board pick -- Pavel Bure

Kudos to the 'Nucks for doing due diligence

I think some people here are confused as to the meaning of "off the board". It doesn't mean getting a steal in the later rounds of a draft, it means picking a player well before he was expected to be drafted, regardless of how well that player actually turns out. Pavel Bure was a steal, but he wasn't an off the board pick.

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
I remember the Foster pick very well, not only was it off the board but it was his second year of eligibility as well. The guy literally averages about 12 games a year.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
I think some people here are confused as to the meaning of "off the board". It doesn't mean getting a steal in the later rounds of a draft, it means picking a player well before he was expected to be drafted, regardless of how well that player actually turns out. Pavel Bure was a steal, but he wasn't an off the board pick.

Well, seeing as it was thought he was going to be drafted in 1990, it was off the board. Kind of similar to what Florida tried with Ovechkin, except Vancouver actually pulled it off.

Fire Everyone

Especially you
May 17, 2006

It was expected Bure would be drafted the next year. He wasn't even thought to be eligible for that draft. It was an off the board pick.

john g

Mar 6, 2002
Korbi
Well, seeing as it was thought he was going to be drafted in 1990, it was off the board. Kind of similar to what Florida tried with Ovechkin, except Vancouver actually pulled it off.

exactly my point -- he wasnt overlooked, Vancouver did their research and did not accept what data was presented to them as to his eligibility. his pick is more akin to Dovgan, rather than Ovechkin (leap year I think was FLA's claim). in Dovgan's case it was an age miscalcuation and Bure's was games eligibility

helicecopter

Mar 8, 2003
give me higher shots
Visit site
Obviously that's what i meant..

hototogisu said:
hey dude, are you saying me you were thinking Bure was known to be available for everyone in the '89 draft and being selected in the 6th round he went well before than expected?!? :biglaugh:
cause that's someone i would call 'confused' ! ;)

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
You guys are right, I totally forgot about the year loophole thing that allowed Bure to be drafted a year earlier. Although because it happened in the sixth round, it's still not really off the board. Maybe if they had tried in round one or two...:p: ;)

Inside McKenzie

Mar 15, 2007
now thats off the board, lol.

i just looked at he's stats. he played 5 games in hes draft year, 27 the year after that. and in he's first year as a pro he played 9 games. then he actually played some games, 44 games followed by 51. and then it was back to the usuall. 8 games in 05/06 and 10 games this season.

whats up with him?? is he the most injury prone player ever??

The most off the board pick was from the Calgary Flames in 1987 - they drafted a player who had died in a car accident 3 months prior to the draft.

john g

Mar 6, 2002
Korbi
The most off the board pick was from the Calgary Flames in 1987 - they drafted a player who had died in a car accident 3 months prior to the draft.

who?

looking at their picks from '87 they all played past that year. I think that was a CFL pick

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004

Are you referring to Pelawa, a 1986 pick? I believe the accident occurred later in the summer after he was drafted by Calgary.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
You're referring to George Pelawa.. who was a 1st Round Pick in 1986. He died three months AFTER the draft, just prior to Training Camp.

However, in 1988, Calgary did draft a player by the name of, Stefan Nilsson, who was in fact dead before the Draft happened.

Apparently, Calgary didn't have a scout full-time in Sweden, and they screwed up the team name. There were two Stefan Nilsson's in the draft, and Vancouver 5 rounds later selected the one who was alive.

A are a few other times a dead player has been selected. It happened once in the NBA Draft (I read a book once, he was picked second to last..).. and it happened once to the Ottawa Roughriders(Renegades) in the CFL.. but I can't find the link.

BTW: The most recent off the board pick would be Devin Setoguchi wouldn't it? Actually trading up so to get him?

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
You're referring to George Pelawa.. who was a 1st Round Pick in 1986. He died three months AFTER the draft, just prior to Training Camp.

However, in 1988, Calgary did draft a player by the name of, Stefan Nilsson, who was in fact dead before the Draft happened.

Apparently, Calgary didn't have a scout full-time in Sweden, and they screwed up the team name. There were two Stefan Nilsson's in the draft, and Vancouver 5 rounds later selected the one who was alive.

A are a few other times a dead player has been selected. It happened once in the NBA Draft (I read a book once, he was picked second to last..).. and it happened once to the Ottawa Roughriders(Renegades) in the CFL.. but I can't find the link.

BTW: The most recent off the board pick would be Devin Setoguchi wouldn't it? Actually trading up so to get him?

???

http://www.eurohockey.net/players/show_player.cgi?serial=236

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Pretty much.

They felt he was the most skilled/talented player in the entire draft (which really wasn't a stretch as the guy has incredible natural skill).

He missed the whole year before due to a torn abdominal muscle, if I remember correctly and has had problems with that and other injuries ever since.

There is probably not a SINGLE PICK in the history of the draft as bizarre as the selection of Foster (at least as a 1st round pick).

It wasn't nearly as off the board as the guys on TV doing the draft made it out to be, and there was absolutely no excuse for him not to be in the NHL computers.

Foster was very well known, and was talked to death on this board leading into the 2001 draft. As you say, outstanding natural skill - was pretty much on the same level as Heatley when they played together in 1999 despite being a year younger.

He'd looked very good in his brief WHL stint that year, and everyone knew he'd be drafted relatively high. Some people said 4th-5th round, some people said 3rd round. I said he'd go between 40-60, which didn't end up being far off at all. And it turned out that there were a few teams (Philly was one mentioned) who were going to snap him up in the 2nd round if NJ hadn't nabbed him where they did.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad