Most likely to least likely team to reach the finals in the Eastern Conference? Rank them

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
We still have one last spot up for grabs in the eastern conference playoffs - it could be any of Washington, Detroit, Pittsburgh, or even Philly. So feel free to include them in the list if you want.

Out of all the teams in the playoffs in the eastern conference - who do you think is the most likely to make it all the way to the finals? How about the least likely? Take everything into consideration, including team strengths, injuries, matchups, etc.
Here's my list:

1. Tampa Bay Lightning. I've learned not to bet against this team in the playoffs. 3 straight finals, including 2 cups. They did lose in round 1 last year, but with all that mileage you have to lose at some point - they are entering playoffs fresh and better rested this year. True that they lost a lot of depth, but their core is still intact and all are healthy, and finished the season strong. I don't see any true juggernauts in the east this year - and therefore, I default to Tampa, as most likely to go all the way.

2. Toronto Maple Leafs. I have a feeling this could be their year, finally. They've been flying under the radar most of the season, and unlike past years nobody (even Leaf fans) seems to really believe in their chances. Whoever they face in round 1, they will be a true underdog without much expectations. I think this could play in their favor, and allow them to do well.

3. Carolina. Very strong team all around, and I really like the Guentzel addition. Technically, even Kuznetsov is a previous smythe winner, and on a new team could do well. Only reason they're not higher is because they always seem to find a way to disappoint come playoffs...

4. Florida. I'm not their biggest fan, but one of my biggest complaints about them usually started in nets, with Bob being inconsistent and unreliable, both in regular season and definitely playoffs. But he's coming off a stellar playoff last year, and a strong season this year. This is a very deep team. If things go their way, they could go all the way again.

5. Rangers. Great playoffs 2 years ago - they did stumble in round 1 last year. Panarin has never been great in playoffs, which is a bit worrisome because he's been such a big part of their success this year.

6. Islanders. This is a sneaky dangerous team. NYI was a killer in playoffs for years not too long ago. With their new coach they seem ready to do damage. I could see them go all the way to the final, but it's probably not the most likely outcome, which is why they're only ranked 6th.

7. Pittsburgh/Detroit/Washington/Philly in that order (depending on who qualifies). I think Pittsburgh has another run in them potentially, and EK in the playoffs could be fun to see. I could also see Detroit do well, maybe, although unlikely. Washington/Philly I doubt would go beyond round 1.

8. Boston. Simply put - Boston sucks and no one likes them, so they're going to lose in round 1.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
In the Atlantic side of things I think the order is

Florida
Tampa
Boston
Toronto

On the Metro side
Carolina
Rangers
Islanders
???

Either the Canes or the Rangers is going to end up in the ECF. You can't make a list without taking that into account.

The Atlantic has 4 of the top 10 teams in the league in the second half of the season when Tampa started to give a f***. It's going to be brutal for those teams to get to the ECF.

Mad Dog Tannen

Apr 10, 2010
Little early for this considering the 8th spot hasn’t been set.

For now:

1. Florida - I still believe

…..

8. Toronto - I still believe.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Little early for this considering the 8th spot hasn’t been set.

For now:

1. Florida - I still believe

…..

8. Toronto - I still believe.
Think it’s assumed the 8th spot is going to show up, take the obligatory tourist photo then start the summer. And before anyone says Florida last year, fla was the previous presidents trophy team. Dont think much was expected of the four left this year.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
Hurricanes
Rangers
Florida
Toronto/Boston
Lightning
Islanders
WC2

Lightning are getting a little overrated here off of what they were 2-3 years ago. As of today they are the weakest of the Atlantic teams already in unless Vasilevskiy suddenly goes on a tear.

Reactions: BB79

BoHorvat 53

What's a god to a Kane
Dec 9, 2014
1. Carolina - Think they've been in their own tier since acquiring Guentzel and the Panthers slipping since the trade deadline
2. Florida
3. Rangers
4. Leafs
5. Bruins
6. Tampa Bay
7. Islanders
8. Whoever makes it

Strangle

May 4, 2009
In the Atlantic side of things I think the order is

Florida
Tampa
Boston
Toronto

On the Metro side
Carolina
Rangers
Islanders
???

Either the Canes or the Rangers is going to end up in the ECF. You can't make a list without taking that into account.

The Atlantic has 4 of the top 10 teams in the league in the second half of the season when Tampa started to give a f***. It's going to be brutal for those teams to get to the ECF.

You’ve got the Atlantic backwards

Johnny Tomala

Jan 24, 2017
1. NY Rangers
2. Florida
3. Carolina
4. Tampa Bay
5. Boston
6. Toronto
7. NY Islanders
8. Washington

QuizGuy66

Sep 12, 2011
Might have to do a round 1 sweep parlay with Carolina and the Rags and I absolutely can't stand either of them. Ridiculous round 1 matchups for them.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Carolina
Florida
NYR
Boston
Tampa
Toronto
NYI
Washington

X-factor: Carolina forgetting how to score goals in the ECF.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Might have to do a round 1 sweep parlay with Carolina and the Rags and I absolutely can't stand either of them. Ridiculous round 1 matchups for them.

Hey what's what you play for in the season, ranking high so you get the easier matchups. It doesn't always work out with playoff matchups, but if it did this time, good for them, they deserve it.

Of course - those mega underdogs/nothing to lose are often quite dangerous too...

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
Remember when Boston played Florida in the 2023 playoffs and everyone said Florida had no shot? Yeah, that worked out well for a team who had one of the greatest regular seasons in NHL history. Then you have the 2018-19 season when the Tampa Bay Lightning won it and played the Columbus Blue Jackets in the first round.

SeanAveryTheGreatOne

Jul 4, 2021
Remember when Boston played Florida in the 2023 playoffs and everyone said Florida had no shot? Yeah, that worked out well for a team who had one of the greatest regular seasons in NHL history. Then you have the 2018-19 season when the Tampa Bay Lightning won it and played the Columbus Blue Jackets in the first round.
This is true. Honestly as a Rangers fan I'll be happy if we win a game or 2

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad