Most likely to bust?

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
The Yotes have a lot of high end prospects but if it's one thing we've learned it's that potential and reality often do not go hand in hand. So....of the current crop, who do you think will become the next Gormley or Rundblad?

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
I don't know if I'd say bust but I don't see Duke ever reaching the potential folks here think he has. I wouldn't be surprised in the least if his best scoring year is behind him.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I don't know if I'd say bust but I don't see Duke ever reaching the potential folks here think he has. I wouldn't be surprised in the least if his best scoring year is behind him.

Looked exactly like his potential when he was put with the one guy who knows how to pass into space and create offense for him in Domi. Duclair is the type of player that can put up nice totals on a good team, but won't be super useful on a weak team.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
To get those totals he shot almost 20%, not that likely that he can do that again.
And much easier to score 20 goals once than it is to repeat that in the World's best League. The other players figure you out and if you don't adapt you don't succeed. I've seen nothing from Duke to suggest he's capable of that....but he is still young.
Looked exactly like his potential when he was put with the one guy who knows how to pass into space and create offense for him in Domi. Duclair is the type of player that can put up nice totals on a good team, but won't be super useful on a weak team.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
The Yotes have a lot of high end prospects but if it's one thing we've learned it's that potential and reality often do not go hand in hand. So....of the current crop, who do you think will become the next Gormley or Rundblad?

I'd go with Conor Garland as the possible biggest bust (I'm assuming you mean all of our prospects), followed by Gaudet, and perhaps Dauphin.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I'd go with Conor Garland as the possible biggest bust (I'm assuming you mean all of our prospects), followed by Gaudet, and perhaps Dauphin.

Hard to be a big bust when you're a 5th round pick or UFA signing.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
Hard to be a big bust when you're a 5th round pick or UFA signing.

I was assuming it was based on prospects moreso than where they were drafted, but here's a list of the picks from the first two rounds since 2013:
2016 Keller, Chychrun
2015 Strome, Merkley, Fischer
2014 Perlini, MacInnis, Dvorak
2013 Domi, Dauphin​

Of the above, in order of most to least likely to bust, I would choose Dauphin and then MacInnis.

Englishcoyote

Jun 15, 2015
Manchester, England
Merkley and macinnes for me, there's only so many spots that you have available in your organisation, may well trade some of them before the value goes down and get in good picks or prospects.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Merkley and macinnes for me, there's only so many spots that you have available in your organisation, may well trade some of them before the value goes down and get in good picks or prospects.

Merkley is meeting expectations. MacInnis is not.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Merkley is meeting expectations. MacInnis is not.

MacInnis's first pro season is the only reason why I would consider drafting Rasmussen. You would be drafting, at the very least, a unique 3C. Would not be the best use of a 7OA, but I can't say I would be completely disappointed either. He has Crouse written all over him, very unique player that teams benefit from having, but questionable ceiling.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
MacInnis's first pro season is the only reason why I would consider drafting Rasmussen. You would be drafting, at the very least, a unique 3C. Would not be the best use of a 7OA, but I can't say I would be completely disappointed either. He has Crouse written all over him, very unique player that teams benefit from having, but questionable ceiling.

Sounds like most players taken in the last ten picks of the first round. While it's nice to have guys that fit archetypes, there's really no downside to having a really good C as your 3C, so always go BPA. Change the guys that don't fit to wing. If you have more than 6 or so young forwards that fit, disregard this advice because you're from the future and have all the answers already.

MIGs Dog

Jan 3, 2012
2016 Keller, Chychrun
2015 Strome, Merkley, Fischer
2014 Perlini, MacInnis, Dvorak
2013 Domi, Dauphin​

I feel really good about 75% of that group. The yotes have drafted well the last few years. Not sold on Strome making it.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

Dauphin made the team out of training camp this year, and DT he expects him to make a big push next training camp.

Last year most thought Perlini was going to be a bust, and now some are saying Strome will be. I still believe Strome will end up being one of our best players.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Merkley.

No qualms with RMac. He's getting in his pro reps. This is a long-term thing. I can see him being our 4 or 3 C down the road.

Murf

Apr 10, 2007
WESTSIDE(of Gilbert)
Keller. His face is shoulder high on most defenseman at this level, and he is a featherweight. How many big hits before he is rendered ineffective?

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Keller. His face is shoulder high on most defenseman at this level, and he is a featherweight. How many big hits before he is rendered ineffective?

To be fair, that was the same reason why people put Marner behind players like Strome and Hanifin in their draft year, myself included. That hasn't happened to Marner... yet. Plenty of "undersized" players that carve out nice careers, so I just don't think injury alone determines bust and you can't predict injury.

Strome kind of wins by default because he was taken #3 OA and we traded away the only other 1st rounder (H Samuelsson) that could lay claim. There is an expectation to uphold in being picked so high, and it is possible that he becomes a solid, but not elite player that meets that perceived value. The other prior 1st rounders were taken at a safe enough position and met or exceeded expectations. (Was anyone disappointed with Chychrun's or Keller's development?)

For later round picks (2nd and beyond) - I will throw Dineen and MacInnis in there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad