Most likely Scenario - Teams. Tampa vs Habs vs Buffalo vs Chicago/Kings vs Pitt vs Caps vs Oilers

Which of the following team scenarios is the most likely for the 2021-2022 season?

• Total voters

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Lots of different teams I listed with a varying degree of teams successes - and failures - in recent years. Which of the following scenarios is the most likely in your opinion for the coming season - try and also post in your response ranking them from most to least likely to happen:

1. Tampa Bay misses the playoffs. We've seen cup winners miss previously - though I don't know if we've seen a back to back winner miss. Lots of roster changes going into new year - but, does it even matter? They're so deep. Can you see a scenario where they miss?

2. Habs once again make the Stanley Cup Finals. Win or lose - they at least reach the Stanley Cup finals for a 2nd year in a row. Most don't think they'll even make the playoffs - and if they do, the East is extremely stacked this year. Can they go back to finals?

3. Buffalo Sabres make the playoffs. Atlantic is so stacked - and Buffalo has so many issues. Simply making the playoffs isn't a super high bar though, a lot of teams unexpectedly qualified in recent years, but for Buffalo it would be a pretty huge stretch this season. Can they do it?

4. Either Chicago or Los Angeles win the cup. The two best Western Conference teams of the past decade - with multiple cup wins and strong runs each. Even though their success dates from a while back now - surprisingly, they both have a lot of their core still intact, especially on the top end (Kopitar/Doughty and Toews/Kane). Lots of changes after of course - both teams with a busy off-season too. How likely is it that either/or of those teams win the cup?

5. Pittsburgh wins the cup. Not altogether a huge stretch - won 2 cups back to back recently. Still have Malkin/Crosby who are still in top form. But - 3 years in a row of really bad playoff runs...seems improbable to overcome to win it all again. Can they?

6. Washington wins the cup. A bit similar to Pittsburgh - still the same core with Ovi/Backstrom leading the way. Won the cup in 2018, more recent than Pitt - but then 3 straight disappointing first round losses. Can they bounce back and win the cup?

7. Edmonton finishes in last place of the standings. It's been a running joke in the past that Edmonton would always win first overall pick. And although they still struggle to find playoff success - the duo of McDavid/Drai has been elite enough to put them in a playoff position 2 years in a row now. Some off-season changes too. Pacific is rather weak division. In my opinion - they are very likely to be a top 3 team in the division, if not more. What are the odds the absolute opposite happens, and they finish dead last in the standings?

Boreal01

Nov 3, 2013
Toronto, Ontario
Pittsburgh wins the Cup
Washington wins the Cup

Tampa misses the playoffs

Buffalo makes the playoffs
Habs make the Finals again
Chicago or LA wins the Cup

Edmonton finishes last

tmg

Jul 10, 2003
Ottawa
They’re obviously all terribly improbable, but Tampa missing the playoffs is my most likely scenario because it could happen primarily on a single thing going wrong (like Vasilevskiy injury) whereas most of the rest require an immensely improbable sequence of things going right (and in the case of Edmonton being last, that means a lot of things going right in Buffalo and Arizona.)

SheldonJPlankton

Sponsor
Oct 30, 2006
I'd say the top 4 are:

1. Tampa out...possible with injuries and bad luck.
2-3. Pitts/Wash win...possible with a hot run and motivated star talent.
4. Montreal returns to 'Cup finals. See reasonings for 2-3 above. Add in plenty of good luck.

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Pitt wash, only really likely possibilities. Edm can't achieve last without mcdavid injury. Chi would be a surprise but they did change a lot of the make up of the team. Tampa ain't missing and buffalo ain't making. Habs and kings won't make playoffs

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
So how many of the people voting for TB are Montreal fans? LOL

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Pittsburgh wins the Cup is the most likely option. It’s not close to me. If Jarry was simply average they go to the 3rd round last year. If they manage to make a deal for a good goalie or Jarry can just not completely shit the bed they’re legitimate contenders.

Reactions: Peat and Gurglesons

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Pittsburgh wins the Cup is the most likely option. It’s not close to me. If Jarry was simply average they go to the 3rd round last year. If they manage to make a deal for a good goalie or Jarry can just not completely shit the bed they’re legitimate contenders.
Yea I thought the penguins were playing at a very high level last year but Jarry was absolutely horrific in the playoffs.

Petey But Really Jim

SMD
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
Op, ya did a pretty decent job except for making one option way more easy to pick than all others :laugh:

I am not even being a “h8rrr”. I was genuinely enjoying your post until I saw the obvious answer.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
I actually voted Buffalo but then remembered they're in the Atlantic so... yeah, no chance. Way too much competition.

Puck Dogg

Puck life
Mar 13, 2006
Pens winning the Cup are roughly 1:15 which I think is highest probability of the ones listed.

Oilers finishing last is least likely as they would have to be worse than about 10 other teams that are projected below Oilers and on top of them multiple teams that are weak, meaning Senators, Coyotes, Ducks, Red Wings or Sabres.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad