Speculation: Most interesting off season teams to watch.

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
I know Vancouver had a good regular season—but I'm curious to see what they do this off-season. Jim Rutherford loves the big splash.

Their defense could look radically different next year. Only Hughes, Soucy, and Juulsen are signed for next year. Hronek (RFA), Myers (UFA), Zadorov (UFA), Cole (UFA) could all be playing for different teams. If they have a disappointing playoffs I would expect there to be major changes on the blueline.

Up front too—we know that the Canucks were open to trading Boeser before this season. I wonder if they leverage this productive season to trade him in the off-season rather than walking him to UFA. I could see them go down this path if they wanted to get in the bidding on a perceived upgrade like Guentzel or Reinhart.

Frankly, unless your jersey number is 40, 43, 9 or 35, I don't think anyone on the Canucks will ever truly be off the trading block.

Reactions: kanucks25

Egresch

Jul 10, 2022
The top 4 spots in the Atlantic are locked up and will be for awhile.
Not really, Tampa has one more season. Hedman is 33, Stamkos is 34, they have no prospects nor picks. Bruins are bit similar Marchand 35, Coyle 32. Panthers will lose at least one free agent in the summer. Leafs defense and goaltending is far from elite.
I am not saying any of the teams will fall of cliff, but I expect way closer gap as all 4 other teams are young and expected to improve.

PelagicJoe

Mar 20, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Since I'm a Wings fan, I will be interested in what Detroit does during the summer.
Other teams I think worth watching over the summer are Edmonton, Pittsburgh, St. Louis, and Toronto. I'll also say Vegas just to see how they manage their cap/who gets put on LTIR.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
I know Vancouver had a good regular season—but I'm curious to see what they do this off-season. Jim Rutherford loves the big splash.

Their defense could look radically different next year. Only Hughes, Soucy, and Juulsen are signed for next year. Hronek (RFA), Myers (UFA), Zadorov (UFA), Cole (UFA) could all be playing for different teams. If they have a disappointing playoffs I would expect there to be major changes on the blueline.

Up front too—we know that the Canucks were open to trading Boeser before this season. I wonder if they leverage this productive season to trade him in the off-season rather than walking him to UFA. I could see them go down this path if they wanted to get in the bidding on a perceived upgrade like Guentzel or Reinhart.

Frankly, unless your jersey number is 40, 43, 9 or 35, I don't think anyone on the Canucks will ever truly be off the trading block.

My Canucks will definitely be interesting to watch.

Lots of upcoming UFAs, big holes at top-6 forward, and a President (GM) that is not afraid to make a big splash.

Despite being a bottom-feeder for many years before this one, the market has tasted blood this season and want more... a step back probably won't be acceptable for neither the organization nor the fanbase.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Not really, Tampa has one more season. Hedman is 33, Stamkos is 34, they have no prospects nor picks. Bruins are bit similar Marchand 35, Coyle 32. Panthers will lose at least one free agent in the summer. Leafs defense and goaltending is far from elite.
I am not saying any of the teams will fall of cliff, but I expect way closer gap as all 4 other teams are young and expected to improve.

I think Detroit is the closest one of the next group, I think the other 3 are still quite far away, although a lottery win would be BIG for Montreal or Ottawa, Buffalo has had several top picks and they are still near the bottom.

But if Montreal or Ottawa got it it could make a major difference.

But beyond that I think the bottom 3 are going to be the bottom 3 for awhile even though I think Montreal is on the right track.

Egresch

Jul 10, 2022
I think Detroit is the closest one of the next group, I think the other 3 are still quite far away, although a lottery win would be BIG for Montreal or Ottawa, Buffalo has had several top picks and they are still near the bottom.

But if Montreal or Ottawa got it it could make a major difference.

But beyond that I think the bottom 3 are going to be the bottom 3 for awhile even though I think Montreal is on the right track.
DET id closest because they signed bunch of vets last summer. Other 3 have young leaders and those can improve very rapidly. E.g. Habs have 1st line working, healthy Kirby Dach and 1-2 good acquisition could make a big impact.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Not sure what team it is but I whoever it is that team would be drinking Dos Equis

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
The more I look at Edmonton, the more I wonder what management is going to do over the summer.

The core is locked up still but the only depth players (not counting guys in the AHL this year) signed are Derek Ryan, Cody Ceci, Brett Kulak and Ryan McLeod. And at least one of those guys should probably be moved out to bring in someone better. The Oilers basically need an entire 4th line and at least 3 middle six forwards, an upgrade at 2RD, and assuming Campbell is bought out, a backup goalie.

Lots of pieces to find for the new GM.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
The more I look at Edmonton, the more I wonder what management is going to do over the summer.

The core is locked up still but the only depth players (not counting guys in the AHL this year) signed are Derek Ryan, Cody Ceci, Brett Kulak and Ryan McLeod. And at least one of those guys should probably be moved out to bring in someone better. The Oilers basically need an entire 4th line and at least 3 middle six forwards, an upgrade at 2RD, and assuming Campbell is bought out, a backup goalie.

Will they have the cash for DeBrusk?

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
GMBA of the Coyotes have to do something about their defense. 2 NHLers and a few borderline and the reason why the Coyotes have played so inconsistent. Moser and Durzi need to play less minutes.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
I think if someone like Carolina wins the Cup it gets really interesting. A lot of guys are willing to take discounts to try and win. A lot of that changes if you do win. Now guys want to get paid.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada

Kulak and Kane are likely cap casualties. Good chance that there will be some new blood coming in through the system or through late summer adds. We need a few guys to step in at close to league minimum.

The Draisaitl saga will make Edmonton an interesting offseason team, but it's hard to see them being a big player on the free agent or trade markets.

Teams that are close generally add at the deadline.

Reactions: ManofSteel55

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Will they have the cash for DeBrusk?
Probably not. Unless they find a way to move out Ceci, and decide to move out guys like Kulak and Kane. I crunched a ton of numbers out of boredom the other day, and there isn't going to be a ton to go around.

Kulak and Kane are likely cap casualties. Good chance that there will be some new blood coming in through the system or through late summer adds. We need a few guys to step in at close to league minimum.

The Draisaitl saga will make Edmonton an interesting offseason team, but it's hard to see them being a big player on the free agent or trade markets.

Teams that are close generally add at the deadline.
They need to plan on a 4th line of Holloway, Lavoie and Hamblin. Trade for some depth guys when any of those 3 don't cut it. Ryan is still here to add a veteran to that line when needed.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
GMBA of the Coyotes have to do something about their defense. 2 NHLers and a few borderline and the reason why the Coyotes have played so inconsistent. Moser and Durzi need to play less minutes.
The land auction. The draft with a high pick. The need to sign an entire defense core. Coyotes definitely will be interesting to watch.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Vancouver has a ton of cap like 58 million but have a ton of UFA's and Hronek.
Do they sign as many UFA's of their own, or do they go after Guentzel (sp) Peace etc?
Do we see Garland moved after rebuilding his value?
Is Mikheyev moved?
Lots of things I guess depend on how the playoffs go
They don’t have 58 million, or even close.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
The land auction. The draft with a high pick. The need to sign an entire defense core. Coyotes definitely will be interesting to watch.

They will be especially since they might not even be the Coyotes in just over a week.

StewieP19

Dec 13, 2022
Colorado & Edmonton will be fun to watch. Two team with salary cap issue.

Edmonton will be fun to watch because of :
Last year of Leon will the Oilers will extend him this summer ?
Still have a goalie issue
5 forward and 1 def to sign with 14.3M in cap space

Colorado will be fun to watch because of :
The have only 10M in cap space (if Landeskog return)
They will ha to chose which players they want to keep between
Drouin Mittlestadt Trenin Duhaime & Walker

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
I hope Montréal swing for the fence
As an Oiler fan, the Habs have been my 2nd fave team since you beat Calgary in 86.
I've lived here for 18 years now, and sort of like a surrogate fan.

Don't do what Edmonton did and rush the rebuild, and try to cut corners.

UFA's are almost NEVER worth it. Especially to a younger team that's going to be tied to a boat anchor 35 year old albatross contract when you're ready to compete.

We didn't need Milan Lucic, or Andrew Ferrence. Heck, we didn't need Sheldon Souray, Belanger, Pouliot. We didn't need to bring back a 35 year old Ryan Smyth at full dollar.

We didn't need to trade away Hall, Dubnyk, Petry, or Eberle.
We didn't need to trade away Cogliano for a 2nd.

Buffalo did the same. They rushed their rebuild and got impatient and f***ed everything up. They didn't need Jeff Skinner, and they should have let Eichel have his surgery.

The Sabres Center depth should be Jack Eichel and Tage Thompson, with Sam Reinhart on the wing, and backstopped by Linus Ullmark to go with Dahlin and and Power.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bouboumaster

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad