WJC: Most impressive opening win?

Sep 19, 2008
If impressive is margin of victory, then Sweden wins that distinction. However, I would also qualify Team Canada in there. The game was tied entering the third, and they completely took over the 3rd period.

AwesomePanthers

Maybe next season
Aug 20, 2009
Er...Sweden played Norway in their opening game, while Canada played Russia. Sweden only beat Norway 7-1 while Canada doubled Russia 6-3. It's obvious that Canada had the more impressive win.

Only?! :shakehead

How much did you expect? A 7-1 win in the WJC against any opponent is great. I knew we would lose, but was hoping it would be less than that.

Canada had a good start to their game with some big hits, and they played well in the third period.

ocarina

May 23, 2009
Exactly, as I said before?? the poll is asking the most impressive win and what your saying seems to me like you also think Canada had the most impressive win, as Sweden had an easy opponent, where Canada doubled up on Russia.

Then again Canada out shot the Russians 42-27

Sweden out shot the Norweigans 46-11, how do you figure that is an impressive win?

You keep saying that Canada's win is impressive because they doubled up their opponent, but like I said before, if you watched the game, it sure didn't look like that.

What about Canada did you like? Other then their board play, I was a little disappointed in their effort, they looked sloppy for a lot of the game, until the third period. Heck, I didn't even think Russia played their best, they at times reverted back to the team of last year (poor puck decisions, being too cute, etc.)

Sweden's win to me is more impressive not because it was actually impressive, but because the other two teams weren't as good and didn't perform to their potential.

Also, I will second that Finland probably had the best game out of any team so far, they looked very impressive.

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
Are games against Norway usually blowouts? If not, then I say Sweden.
Yes, and in a big way. I'm not saying the win by Sweden wasn't impressive. That's what they were expected to do and that's what they did. However I would expect Canada to lay an even bigger beating on them if history is any indication.

I think you have to call Canada's win more impressive. Yes, it took them a while to get going, but the point is the game ended in a 6-3 win with over 40 shots on goal against a hockey powerhouse in the Russians.

VOB

Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Visit site
Honestly if Canada beat Norway 7-1 and Sweden beat Russia 6-3, I wouldn't be picking Canada...

Well put....I cannot believe some of the comments here. Russia is a very solid team and we will hear from them again. Canada is fast, skilled and physical, they are the team to beat....bar none.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Canada.

Because, of all the losing teams, Russia were the best. That includes Finland (who played great, but aren't quite the team Russia is).

If I'm the Slovaks, I'm rather afraid.

nitz

Jul 27, 2009
Sweden beat .. Norway. Canada beat the RUSSIANS.

Other than the first 10 minutes of the 1st period, Canada had that game well in hand and I had no doubt that they would eventually win. Their win over Russia is far more impressive than beating up on a relegation team like Norway.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
You keep saying that Canada's win is impressive because they doubled up their opponent, but like I said before, if you watched the game, it sure didn't look like that.

What about Canada did you like? Other then their board play, I was a little disappointed in their effort, they looked sloppy for a lot of the game, until the third period. Heck, I didn't even think Russia played their best, they at times reverted back to the team of last year (poor puck decisions, being too cute, etc.)

Sweden's win to me is more impressive not because it was actually impressive, but because the other two teams weren't as good and didn't perform to their potential.

Also, I will second that Finland probably had the best game out of any team so far, they looked very impressive.

Isn't that impressive enough for you?

Russia did not play their best, they're saving that for the semi-finals and when they meet up with Canada in the gold medal game.

Sweden only had 11 shots against them, I think they better start Lehner every game here on out to the bronze medal game.

bleuetbio

Registered luser
Nov 13, 2008
Montreal
Sweden by far. Finland was impressive in a loss, though.

this. Im realy surprised that the majority has voted for Canada. It was a good game but not impressed at all. Change Bobkov for Campbell and maybe the Russia wons it. For me, Finland makes the best impression.

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW

you watched the canada game and came to that conclusion? Cool.

that also means you were not at dwyer and saw about 0s of sweden beating norway. How do you know what sweden's win looked like? For all you know sweden played terribly and norway just played worse.

there is a very small handful of people on hfboards qualified to say anything about the sweden-norway game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad