WJC: Most impressive opening win?

ocarina

May 23, 2009
Sweden, even though they played a weak team. Canada wasn't as strong as I thought they would be against the Russians, and the US could of easily lost against the Finns, they were a little fortunate.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
I didn't see the Sweden game, but it kinda has to be them, doesn't it? :dunno: USA was off their game, and almost upset. Canada wasn't quite as off, but still didn't pull away until late. It wasn't really an auspicious start for either USA or Canada, IMHO. But it's just 1 game. And both had strong opponents.

sickest flow bro

Jun 3, 2008
Halifax
I second Finland. Sweden had the most impressive win, but against the weakest opponent. I think Canada would have to be the most impressive win, while taking the opponent into account.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
If i had to pick? Sweden. They did what they were supposed to. USA and Canada definitely need some time to get on the same page. Finland is a scrappy bunch however. I like them.

Evil Doctor

Cryin' Hank crying
Apr 29, 2009
Cambridge, ON
Er...Sweden played Norway in their opening game, while Canada played Russia. Sweden only beat Norway 7-1 while Canada doubled Russia 6-3. It's obvious that Canada had the more impressive win.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
Canada is the obvious choice, whippty doo Sweden beat Norway.

People will be learning that Finland and Russia are very underated this tournament.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
If i had to pick? Sweden. They did what they were supposed to. USA and Canada definitely need some time to get on the same page. Finland is a scrappy bunch however. I like them.

Please elaborate? I dont understand what your saying about Canada, they played a top 3 team in this tournament and doubled the score.

ocarina

May 23, 2009
Please elaborate? I dont understand what your saying about Canada, they played a top 3 team in this tournament and doubled the score.

The game was very close, the score doesn't reflect how the game went. Canada managed to pull away at the end and got a cheap goal with under a minute left.

Canada was dominant along the boards, but other then that, they seemed to struggle. They had some defensive breakdowns, and Roy let in a bad goal. Russia could of won the game, there were times when Canada couldn't get anything going. Good on them for playing well in the third period though.

Personally, I think Russia is 4th, I like Sweden better. Yes, they played Norway, but they took care of business and did what they had to do, Canada and USA, not as much.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
The game was very close, the score doesn't reflect how the game went. Canada managed to pull away at the end and got a cheap goal with under a minute left.

Canada was dominant along the boards, but other then that, they seemed to struggle. They had some defensive breakdowns, and Roy let in a bad goal. Russia could of won the game, there were times when Canada couldn't get anything going. Good on them for playing well in the third period though.

Personally, I think Russia is 4th, I like Sweden better. Yes, they played Norway, but they took care of business and did what they had to do, Canada and USA, not as much.

Exactly, so a 6-3 Canada win is very impressive.(keep in mind Russia heat up game by game and look at their schedule, they get to practice plays and set ups in their final two games of round robin to improve)

I believe the Russia is better than Sweden, thats my perspective, we all have our own opinions and thats why hockey is the best.

That being said there's no reason Sweden should not have taken care of business, Norway is not one of the bigger hockey countries so it really wasn't an impressive win in my eye, I would have been more surprised if Sweden won by only 3 goals.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
I second Finland. Sweden had the most impressive win, but against the weakest opponent. I think Canada would have to be the most impressive win, while taking the opponent into account.

Yeah that point Finland recieved is vital to that club in pool A because one of Slovakia, Switzerland and Finland will be getting the boot with Germany by the end of round robin.

ocarina

May 23, 2009
Exactly, so a 6-3 Canada win is very impressive.(keep in mind Russia heat up game by game and look at their schedule, they get to practice plays and set ups in their final two games of round robin to improve)

I believe the Russia is better than Sweden, thats my perspective, we all have our own opinions and thats why hockey is the best.

That being said there's no reason Sweden should not have taken care of business, Norway is not one of the bigger hockey countries so it really wasn't an impressive win in my eye, I would have been more surprised if Sweden won by only 3 goals.

Did you watch the game? Canada didn't seem to have it until the third period. They were fortunate Russia was unable to take a lead, they easily could of snuck away with a win. Like I said, the way the game went, it sure didn't look like a 6-3 win, and Canada for the most part didn't really look like the big-time team I expected them to be.

To me, Sweden only gets this by default because the other two teams weren't up to snuff.

ThePresent83

Jul 8, 2009
Sherwood Park
Canada. Even though it started poorly.

People are drasticly underestimating the russians in this tournament. I knew they would be skilled, but they are much faster than i thought they would be.

If there goaltending holds up, they can beet the swedes, and give the states a run, much as they did us.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
Did you watch the game? Canada didn't seem to have it until the third period. They were fortunate Russia was unable to take a lead, they easily could of snuck away with a win. Like I said, the way the game went, it sure didn't look like a 6-3 win, and Canada for the most part didn't really look like the big-time team I expected them to be.

To me, Sweden only gets this by default because the other two teams weren't up to snuff.

Exactly, as I said before?? the poll is asking the most impressive win and what your saying seems to me like you also think Canada had the most impressive win, as Sweden had an easy opponent, where Canada doubled up on Russia.

Then again Canada out shot the Russians 42-27

Sweden out shot the Norweigans 46-11, how do you figure that is an impressive win?

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
The Swiss also currently lead the A pool, I think that's impressive.

but then again the Swiss got out shot 35-21, Conz is a beast in net!

The States actually got outshot 34-30 and one of the States goals came on the powereplay in regulation. The Finns are looking good.

Jesus Christ Horburn

Aug 22, 2008
Are games against Norway usually blowouts? If not, then I say Sweden.

However, as mentioned, Finland was the most impressive. I think they have as good a chance at gold as Sweden and Russia do.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad