Most Impressive '98's in the OHL

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
http://ohlprospects.blogspot.ca/2015/03/sunday-top-10-most-impressive-1998-born.html

My annual list ranking the 1998 born players who impressed me the most this year.

The Honorable Mentions list is quite long because I felt like the league had quite a few excellent performances this year from first year players. I'm sure that many fans will argue for their team's players on the list, but cest la vie.

As always, interested to see what type of discussion this generates. I don't think there's any argument about Chychrun being on top.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Good list. I'd argue Kyle Maksimovich deserves an honorable mention, he's had a good season as a depth guy for the Otters.

OHLEYE

Oct 17, 2006
I think Ang has looked much better than McLeod and Saigeon.

He wasn't given much icetime for most of the season and has had poor linemates.

battfan888

Podcaster
Feb 29, 2012
Sleeman Centre
Ill play the roll of "WHY ISNT THE GUY FROM MY TEAM THERE" lol

But I am surprised that Givani Smith didn't even get an honourable mention, I assume that may have to do with his pretty lackluster first half in Barrie but since coming to Guelph he has been fantastic, he is going to be very fun to watch the next few years.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Good list, good read. Though I'd move Logan Brown up to #2. I also believe Barron and Felhaber will accompany #5 and #6 by this time next year.

Agreed Jennifer,Brown should be #2,you are right about Barron and Felhaber
Also I would take Mete over Middleton
Middleton strikes me as a big slow guy,while Mete great skater,playing on a team with
even less experience then Saggy
Saggy has Ringuette an O/A,Holmes,and DiTomaso 2nd yr dmen,while London"s Jamieson "s 30 games is all the experience the London D has after Mermis got dealt
And that youth and inexperience is a major reason why London sits 19th in the pk
The more ice time Mete gets the better he looks

Ringing Iron

May 8, 2011
Very surprised you have Kyrou at 10th the be honest. Browns had a good second half so I don't mind him ahead of kyrou but I'm not sure there's a better 98 forward than Kyrou this year.

Just don't think Gettinger, Raddysh, McLeod or even Saigeon have been as impressive.

Ang and Bitten would be on my list too

Always good to read tho

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
Very surprised you have Kyrou at 10th the be honest. Browns had a good second half so I don't mind him ahead of kyrou but I'm not sure there's a better 98 forward than Kyrou this year.

Just don't think Gettinger, Raddysh, McLeod or even Saigeon have been as impressive.

Ang and Bitten would be on my list too

Always good to read tho

Admittedly, Sarnia's probably been the OHL team that I've seen the least this year. So that could definitely have influenced it.

Have liked Kyrou's energy and poise, but in my viewings of Sarnia, he hasn't shown as much individual skill as some of the guys I've got ahead of him.

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
Ill play the roll of "WHY ISNT THE GUY FROM MY TEAM THERE" lol

But I am surprised that Givani Smith didn't even get an honourable mention, I assume that may have to do with his pretty lackluster first half in Barrie but since coming to Guelph he has been fantastic, he is going to be very fun to watch the next few years.
Agree on Smith and I would say that Connor Bunnaman of the Rangers will be one of the better 2 way centre's in this league very shortly. He's not flashy but all grit. And was on the PK from game 1.

Ringing Iron

May 8, 2011
Admittedly, Sarnia's probably been the OHL team that I've seen the least this year. So that could definitely have influenced it.

Have liked Kyrou's energy and poise, but in my viewings of Sarnia, he hasn't shown as much individual skill as some of the guys I've got ahead of him.

Must have just had some poor gms when you were there (it happens) because I'd say his individual skill is his best attribute.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
Agreed Jennifer,Brown should be #2,you are right about Barron and Felhaber
Also I would take Mete over Middleton
Middleton strikes me as a big slow guy,while Mete great skater,playing on a team with
even less experience then Saggy
Saggy has Ringuette an O/A,Holmes,and DiTomaso 2nd yr dmen,while London"s Jamieson "s 30 games is all the experience the London D has after Mermis got dealt
And that youth and inexperience is a major reason why London sits 19th in the pk
The more ice time Mete gets the better he looks

I wouldn't say Middleton is slow. For a big man his mobility is actually good. He also usually doesn't panic with the puck on his stick. Although I would take Mete over him as well. His skating and offense upside are his strong points so really we're comparing two different styles of play. I guess it just comes down to which style you value more.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I have no problem being "that guy!"

Travis Barron NOT in the top five is ridiculous. His intangibles alone stand taller than most on the top 10 list. HE hits and plays a physical game. He has not looked out of place on any line he has skated with. He goes into the dirty areas and displays confidence in those areas. He stands tall up against much older players. HE sticks up for teammates on the ice. He has CAPTAIN written all over him...and not a token leading scorer captain either. I will suggest he will be the NEXT captain of the 67's. Konecny will return next year to resume the captaincy but Barron will take over that role the following year as an 18 year old.

Saigeon is at #5 and will will say without a doubt that Barron is a better player all round.

Leviathan899

Nov 17, 2014
Toronto, ON.
Good work and list Brock, always appreciate your work.

I have to say I think Mete would be around 6 or 7 for me, as his game is a lot more well rounded now than it was at the beginning. He is obviously a great skater, usually the best skater in any given game he's playing in, and he has great positioning. He boxes guys out on the PK so well for a smaller guy, but his footwork allows him to always stay in proper position. He'll break out offensively next year IMO.

Saigeon is a good one as well I agree, he's been solid in most of my viewings. Plays hard at both ends of the ice and has strong hockey sense. He has a great shot as well and can beat goalies from distance with it. Just needs to keep adding size like you said and add a little more explosiveness to his stride.

I would have to agree with Rossy on Kyrou. Each time I've seen him he's great, has a good compete level as well as good puck skills. He is a patient player without the puck as well like you mentioned. He is very good at making one touch passes out of his zone or through the neutral zone, but is quite creative in the O zone.

Torts

Aug 21, 2009
Ontario
Bright spots this season have been few and far between. Love seeing Mikey and Sean on there, even though sometimes I want to shake some sense into Day.

Here's hoping both take that a big step next season

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad