Tribute Most Important Winger of Sid/Geno Era?

Which winger was the most significant of the past 18 years?

• Chris Kunitz

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • Jake Guentzel

Votes: 6 5.2%
  • Phil Kessel

Votes: 63 54.3%
  • Patric Hornqvist

Votes: 8 6.9%
  • Other (please comment)

Votes: 4 3.4%

• Total voters

Trade

Guentzel is ELITE
Apr 13, 2015
I voted Kunitz because of his style and being involved in 3 of our Cups is better than 2. The core likely only has 1 Cup if we never get Phil and Horny, so it’s tough to say

Phil is probably the correct answer. We’ve always been at our best when we have players producing away from Sid and Geno.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Kessel. He's the first (and last) truly elite winger we've had that gave the club options when it came to setting up multiple scoring lines.

Every other winger before and after him relies on Sid/Geno to be at their best to be effective. Kessel could actually "carry" a line and provided that third elite player to the team.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Probably best not to overthink this one. Kessel was the best forward not named Sid or Geno - sometimes didn't need that qualifier - for two cups. Case closed.

You can make a case for Kunitz and Hornqvist as warriors and culture changers and they're good cases, but Kessel was a culture changer in himself. Both in the minor way of adding a bit of levity to a tightly wound room (or so I see it), but just in the swagger way. You look at Phil Kessel on your bench and you feel good about it.

Jake, for all his quality, I think his sometimes underappreciated quality, simply arrived too late to be the most important.

Headshot77

Bad Photoshopper
Feb 15, 2015
Phil Kessel was robbed of a Conn Smythe in 2016. He was dominant in a way I've never seen another Pens winger be dominant.

Reactions: Ugene Magic

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
Between Kessel and Hornqvist for me, but I voted Kessel.

He added that pure shooter's mentality to the team, and with the way the rosters of the 2016 and 2017 teams were put together, allowing his level of skill and scoring ability to be on the 3rd line was an incredible dynamic to the team.

While Hornqvist was incredibly important to the multiple cup runs as well, I think Kessel edged him out in terms of overall impact.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Phil Kessel was robbed of a Conn Smythe in 2016. He was dominant in a way I've never seen another Pens winger be dominant.

"Robbed"?
I don't quite think so.

There were 3 people who had a reasonable case for CS. Kessel was one of them. It wasn't a heads and shoulders above the rest type of situation at all.

Reactions: pi314

Maninthebox87

Dec 5, 2014
PA
Marian Hossa… not just for his run that year but I never thought in a million years they would acquire someone of his caliber. Going forward it kind of set the tone that the penguins were all in and wouldn’t be afraid to go for a big acquisition.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
CwtnKzQWEAAbhcD.jpeg

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
We’ve always been at our best when we have players producing away from Sid and Geno.
This is currently why we suck now.

They won 2 cups because that 3rd line was able to score in addition to the top 2 lines. The fact that Sullivan uses the bottom 6 the way he does now with punishing usage and deployment, he almost makes it virtually impossible to produce on that line.

It would be great if when Rakell and Rust were back we'd see a 3rd line of O'Connor, Eller, Puustinen.

Reactions: Trade

DoktorZaius

Feb 7, 2013
It's gotta be Kessel...honestly he could have won the Conn Smythe in 2016, HBK was that dominant.

Pretty crazy that the Real Deal James Neal put up 40g here and is (rightfully) left off the poll as an option. At least he netted us Hornqvist, who was very important when it mattered.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
My vote for Jake, however, is that his 2018 playoffs (with Sid) were Conn Smythe worthy. He just got unlucky about the rest of the team. He then clearly surpassed Kessel as our best winger in 18-19. Then a few years later, he had an insane series in 2022 against the Rangers.

Kessel and Hornqvist certainly look very important today as we see the dysfunctional PP. Without them we may have had a trash PP during the Cup runs - preventing them from happening

Sid and Jake in 2018 were our best post seasons since Sid and Geno in 2009
Guentz and Kessel......not even close

Kessel

1. Kessel
2. Kunitz
3. Hornqvist

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad