Most Iconic Vancouver Canuck?

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
It's Bure, but similar to how Vince Carter is the most iconic Raptor of all time, I would never have put his jersey up in the rafters due to his exit. It's trying to create some history because the team doesn't have much.

While Bure is the most iconic due to play-style and popularity, the Sedin's are pretty easily the two best players in the history of the franchise.

Pure West

Oct 3, 2005
Vancouver
I know its hard because they can't decide which Sedin to vote for, but one of the Sedins should have a lot more consideration. Its also what lead to having Radim Vrbata and Alex Auld winning team MVP honours. Both have, and likely will, spend the entirety of their hall of fame careers with the Canucks and they lead the team through the it's most successful years.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
This guy:

Marm%20Messier.jpg

.... actually, I have to go with Luongo for me personally.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
This thread makes me think that if someone did this for the Wild, Gaborik would beat out Koivu, which would just be sad. The most offensively skilled player in the franchise history is not always it's most iconic. I went with Linden.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
as a non-Canuck fan, I think that Bure was the best player (not sure if that's even debatable) but that Naslund really stole the marketing spotlight during his time there. The EA commercials (with Iginla) and league marketing on talented players during Naslund's tenure really make me associate the Canucks with him

The throwback jerseys make me think of Linden/Bure, but the modern ones I definitely associate with Naslund

Last edited:

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
imagine kids on here dont really remember linden while Bure is still brought up from time to time because of his amazing goals. I voted Linden.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
It should be Henrik Sedin. He was the face of the franchise during it's most successful, relevant years. All-time games and points leader. Will be (tied) for the first HHOF'er to only play for the Canucks. Is really only hurt by his association with Daniel for "icon" status.

Linden is more iconic for anyone who was a kid in the 90's, but not when looking at the overall picture of the franchise IMO. This same poll in 1997 would have probably led to people voting for Stan Smyl over Linden or Bure.

Agreed with the Vince Carter comparison for Bure. If it's not Henrik, it's Bure.

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
I think Markus Naslund has actually faded a bit from all things Vancouver. Shame, because he is underrated enough as it is. But he isn't in the conversation like Linden, Bure, and the twins.

Already mentioned, but Luongo would be worth the same consideration as Naslund.

I would go with the Sedins if I could vote for them together. But the answer is probably Linden.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
To me its the Twins, and I'm counting them both together. Most teams with a good fanbase have an all time fan favourite like Linden for the Nucks, but that doesn't make him the most iconic to me.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
It's without a doubt the Sedins.

The 1994 group was more ephemeral and there's just nothing as unique as the Sedins.

NORiculous

Jan 13, 2006
Montreal
This thread makes me think that if someone did this for the Wild, Gaborik would beat out Koivu, which would just be sad. The most offensively skilled player in the franchise history is not always it's most iconic. I went with Linden.

That's not how I see it.

Bure was special in many ways and I voted for him but Koivu is much more iconic then Gaborik, IMO. Its not only talent.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
In B.C? All I know in Vancouver (they City) it's Bure. It could have to do with age group too maybe.

Probably. Anyone in Vancouver I know that's like 25+ would easily say Linden.

Bure is 10x more popular than Linden in Vancouver.

Maybe with kids who didn't watch either play. Not with people who watched them. Linden is a god

Ya, I'd guess you're correct. It's not a poll about who's the best or even most popular, and that's probably skewing the votes

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Definitely Linden. Iconic doesn't mean best.

H. Sedin would have had a serious shot, but it's too tough to separate him from Daniel for something like this. They're a package deal.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
flip a coin between Smyl and Linden.
Love the Sedins but those two should be the only options.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
our only Canuck drafted player that made the Hockey hall of fame.

Pavel Bure.

no one else comes close.

Bure might be the best player the Canucks ever had but no way is he near the most iconic. Smyl, Linden, Tanti are more iconic. The Sedins. Bure is right around Jovo and Kesler. And I loved watching Bure play. But no.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
Vancouver, Toronto, Buffalo, New York, Minnesota - it's crazy how few iconic players they've had in the past 40 years as compared to Philadelphia, Montreal, Boston, Detroit, Colorado, Edmonton, etc.

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
To me as an outsider it's easily Bure. I also loved that old jersey they used to wear with that skate on it (especially with Bure in it). When I think "Canucks" it's Bure that comes to mind, not Linden.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I went with Pavel.

I have a hard time picturing one just one twin as the all-time face of the franchise.

Do people actually picture one Sedin at a time?

For some weird reason, when I contemplated this question, these faces came to mind in this order:

- Pavel Bure (I like the old black skate jersey)
- Gino Odjick
- Sedin (dunno which one, pretty much the same anyways)
- Jim Benning (I didn't think it had to be a player)
- Trevor Linden (Player, then management image)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad