Most hyped Nr. 1 draft pick in recent 20 years or in the future

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Luck easily takes this

People were talking him up with Peyton/Brady before he even reached the draft room

He was called best QB to enter draft since Manning (Peyton)

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Luck very easily. He was seen as a generational QB right off the bat. I think Vick is the only one who came close, because of the different dimension he brought to the table. In terms of QBs I think Winston was huge but nowhere near Luck or Vick's level. Eli was pretty big but so much of that was just the lineage and situation with the Chargers.

After that I think I'd go beyond the 1st pick and put Calvin Johnson next. He was seen as the perfect WR and the expectation was for him to become one of the best of all-time, if not the best considering his physical tools.

Reggie Bush was huge as well but the Texans taking Williams 1st took some luster off. RB is such an interesting position for hype because of the nature of the position changing so much since the early 2000s. You had that wave of backs like Reggie Bush, Adrian Peterson, and Darren McFadden that were all massively hyped, but then it died down until Gurley started to bring it back a bit, even though he was only drafted 10th. But still, I think just with the nature of the position, none of Zeke, Fournette or Barkley were able to match the hype of those first 3 backs I mentioned, even though Barkley was seen as more talented than any of them.

Clowney is the biggest hype I remember for a defensive prospect, even with the fall-off with injuries/play in his last College season. He could have been bigger otherwise, maybe challenged the top QBs. I think it was kind of similar to John Tavares, seen as a generational talent well before the draft, but it became diminishing returns before his name was actually called. Sean Taylor and Julius Peppers were close though. It's weird, even with Von Miller going #2 and turning into what he did, I don't remember as much hype around him, maybe because Patrick Peterson was in that same draft.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Luck pretty easily.

Vick is the only prospect I remember being in that same ballpark since the Manning/Leaf draft, but he was much less of a sure thing as Luck was seen as.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I was going to say Manning but that's now more than 20 years ago.

I would say over the 20 years, it would be Luck. Not because the hype was out of control, but because he went back to school - so the microscope was on him for the whole year. And unlike others who could've come out, didn't, and saw their draft stock drop, his did not. There was also great anticipation around his decision as to whether or not he was going to declare.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I wouldn't say there was as much hype around Stafford.

Cam Newton wasn't the case either. He wasn't even the most hyped guy on his own team when the season ended and rose throughout the draft process, while Nick Fairley had a lot of hype at the end of the season with the way he dominated the national championship game

Reactions: izlez

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Andrew Luck was the most hyped prospect I've ever seen in the NFL. "Suck for Luck" was a thing, lets not forget.

Trevor Lawrence could very well surpass that when he leaves Clemson next season.

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
Some times ago i read, that there were people, that wanted to go to the particular college only because there was Stafford playing. Its this a common between young people?

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
Some times ago i read, that there were people, that wanted to go to the particular college only because there was Stafford playing. Its this a common between young people?

Yes. There are schools that produce significantly more NFL players than others. Coaching, training facilities, etc. have a lot to do with it.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I’ve only been paying attention to the draft since 2015, but I remember the Winston/Mariota hype being huge.

Not often you have two QB Heisman winners gunning for #1, let alone two that played against each other in the championship game. Plus they won their awards back to back.

What about Matthew Stafford?

Any hype around him was because of the Lions. They went 0-16 and he was seen as the savior + a guy for Megatron to play with.

I would say over the 20 years, it would be Luck. Not because the hype was out of control, but because he went back to school - so the microscope was on him for the whole year. And unlike others who could've come out, didn't, and saw their draft stock drop, his did not. There was also great anticipation around his decision as to whether or not he was going to declare.

I remember people losing their minds because he would have easily been the top pick instead of Newton. Nobody understood why you'd go back when you could just play in the NFL right away. But of course the Colts lucked into drafting him after losing Manning for the year and then letting him go in free agency.

Andrew Luck was the most hyped prospect I've ever seen in the NFL. "Suck for Luck" was a thing, lets not forget.

Trevor Lawrence could very well surpass that when he leaves Clemson next season.

Lawrence could be the first QB since Tebow to leave school with 2 championships.

Kiorei

Jan 22, 2014
Denton, Texas
Yeah, this is easily Luck. I remember non stop articles and news alerts on him.

For you older gents, can anyone tell me how the Peyton Manning hype was? Was he more hyped up than Elway?

Elvis P

U aint nothin but a hound dog cryin all the time
Dec 10, 2007
ATL

I don't care if they're not all in the last 20 years or #1s. These are the most hyped in the last 25 years.

1. Andrew Luck
2. Peyton Manning
3. Michael Vick
4. Orlando Pace
5. Ryan Leaf - Some thought he would be better than Peyton. The Colts went down to the last minute deciding. He actually has a Ryan Leaf Colts jersey they made for him in case they picked him.
6. Calvin Johnson
7. Jameis Winston
8. Julius Peppers
9. Reggie Bush

Last edited:

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I mean, you aren't wrong, but Tebow was essentially a gadget player during Florida's 2006 (?) title.

You are 100% right, just wanted to throw out a piece of trivia :laugh:

I guess Leinhart would be the last QB to win 2 championships as a starter, sanctions/vacated titles aside. Or it depends if you consider LSU the champs in 2003.

Wonder who the last one before him was.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

1. Andrew Luck
2. Peyton Manning
3. Michael Vick
4. Orlando Pace
5. Ryan Leaf
- Some thought he would be better than Peyton. The Colts went down to the last minute deciding. He actually has a Ryan Leaf Colts jersey they made for him in case they picked him.
6. Calvin Johnson
7. Jameis Winston
8. Julius Peppers
9. Reggie Bush

FYI, 1998 & 1997 were over 20 years ago :dunno:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad