Most Exciting NHL Players Since 1980 - #2

Who is the second most exciting NHL player since 1980?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Wayne Gretzky

Breaking all those records - nothing more exciting then that.

Possibly Bure next

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
Gretzky is the best player ever but wasn't really flashy/exciting imo. He was cerebral and smarter than everyone, not super fast or dangling people or crushing anyone like the other options. To each their own though.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Lindros, Datsyuk, or Ovechkin for me. Hard to decide between slightly different but overlapping eras.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
What’s Yzerman doing there?

I’d like to see Makarov as an option

Yzerman, probably the NHL's second most exciting player in the late 80s, is questionable. But you'd like to see the NHL version of Makarov, who had traded a lot of his earlier speed and flair for more cerebral play by that point, as an option. Now that makes a lot of sense.

This should be Bure over Gretzky. The question isn't who the best player was. Young Gretzky isn't a slouch in this regard but Bure was a different breed in terms of speed and boldness.

Last edited:

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Yzerman, probably the NHL's second most exciting player in the late 80s, is questionable. But you'd like to see the NHL version of Makarov, who had traded a lot of his earlier speed and flair for more cerebral play by that point, as an option. Now that makes a lot of sense.

This should be Bure over Gretzky. The question isn't who the best player was. Young Gretzky isn't a slouch in this regard but Bure was a different breed in terms of speed and boldness.

Maybe Bure is more entertaining to watch play live in a game as he's more flashy - but I still felt Gretzky was more exciting overall since scoring 200+ points a season and breaking all those records - there's nothing more exciting then that for me. I was too young to follow Gretzky in the 80s.

I'd probably have Bure #3

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
*Cue Jock Jams*

AptArtisticAntelope-max-1mb.gif

CloseImpartialChital-size_restricted.gif

SatisfiedPoliteIslandwhistler-size_restricted.gif

tenor.gif

Edit: last one might not be him but I still love it.

Reactions: Dennis Bonvie

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
Peak Ovechkin was the most exciting player in NHL history. Far from my favorite and I certainly don’t think he’s better than some of the players on this list, but he was, beyond any doubt in my mind, the absolutely most exciting player to ever play in my 30+ years watching.

Reactions: Svane

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
Kovalev and Coffey are probably top 10.... need to add them

Stamkos and Kovalchuk were fun to watch in their prime too

psycat

Oct 25, 2016
Peak Ovechkin was the most exciting player in NHL history. Far from my favorite and I certainly don’t think he’s better than some of the players on this list, but he was, beyond any doubt in my mind, the absolutely most exciting player to ever play in my 30+ years watching.

Disagree, he is up there for sure though.
Anyway voted Bure.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad