Most Exciting NHL Players Since 1980 - #1

Who is the most exciting NHL player since 1980?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MatchesMalone

Formerly Innocent Bystander
Aug 29, 2010
First vote! Datsyuk breaking Couture's ankles or running two Sharks players into eachother.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
I've never seen anyone compare to Datsyuk for entertainment value. The stuff he'd consistently pull off was ridiculous and unique to him.

Reactions: qqaz

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Since it’s not the best player but most exciting, Pavel Bure for me. Man could he fly! He had a few of those moments every game that got you out of your seat.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Lemieux and Gretzky. Will say Lemieux first as he was more flashy

Lol at the Datsyuk overrating yet again. Nobody has ever paid to see him play.

Imagine being ignorant enough to mention flashiness and then rip Datsyuk... Who probably has more highlight videos online than any other player this century.

Reactions: LetsGoBLUES91

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
Lemieux and Gretzky. Will say Lemieux first as he was more flashy

Lol at the Datsyuk overrating yet again. Nobody has ever paid to see him play.
I have. He was the one guy I wanted to see. I never knew how good he was until I saw him live and I didnt rely on a camera to follow him around when he had the puck.

Reactions: LetsGoBLUES91

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Since it’s not the best player but most exciting, Pavel Bure for me. Man could he fly! He had a few of those moments every game that got you out of your seat.

This was my first thought as well, for excitement level Bure stands out even in this crowd.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
dont like the term "exciting".... several different ways of interpreting it, and therefore the results will be "whatever".

Gretzky, Lemieux, Crosby.... most skilled/talented offesively, but not so "flashy".

Jagr, Ovie, McDavid.... very skilled/talented offensively, and flashy

Malkin, Lindros, Forsberg.... very skilled/talented offensively, not as flashy

Datsyuk, Kane, Bure.... a tier below the rest offensively, but are most flashy

so whos exciting? I dunno. They ALL are!

Dunno why Bure is ahead of Ovie, though. Ovie was all that Bure was but better, a better playmaker in his prime, and hit a ton more.

Last edited:

MrOT

Roenick / Modano / Hull
Jan 5, 2016
dont like the term "exciting".... several different ways of interpreting it, and therefore the results will be "whatever".

Gretzky, Lemieux, Crosby.... most skilled/talented offesively, but not so "flashy".

Jagr, Ovie, McDavid.... very skilled/talented offensively, and flashy

Malkin, Lindros, Forsberg.... very skilled/talented offensively, not as flashy

Datsyuk, Kane, Bure.... a tier below the rest offensively, but are most flashy

so whos exciting? I dunno. They ALL are!

Dunno why Bure is ahead of Ovie, though. Ovie was all that Bure was but better, a better playmaker in his prime, and hit a ton more.

It's subjective as OP sais. I liked watching Bure more than Ovie. He was one of the most "exciting" players to watch and he was more aesthetical in his movement than Ovechkin if that makes sense. Better "art" if I may say so. I think both Forsberg and Malkin belongs in the flashy category but again this is subjective. Good list though

MrOT

Roenick / Modano / Hull
Jan 5, 2016
Am I the only one voting for Fedorov? He was super exciting

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
It's subjective as OP sais. I liked watching Bure more than Ovie. He was one of the most "exciting" players to watch and he was more aesthetical in his movement than Ovechkin if that makes sense. Better "art" if I may say so. I think both Forsberg and Malkin belongs in the flashy category but again this is subjective. Good list though

I find Malkin and Foppa were like Lemieux. Just elite hockey sense and hands, but didnt wow you with speed or a great shot. Obviously Mario was a tier above them in terms of goalscoring.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Most exciting? It's gotta be Bure for me. He just had such a unique ability to pull people out of their seats. Probably just remembering with some nostalgia-tinted glasses...but i remember as a kid, feeling like every time he touched the puck...something exciting was about to happen.

Reactions: MrOT

Yuri35

Mar 11, 2018
My top 5 in order:
1.Jagr (just look at his top 10 highlights, says it all really)
2.Lemieux : Very close to jagr in another style but perhaps not as crafty and creative in term of stickhandling as Jaromir
3.McDavid : that speed, my f***ing god...
4.Bure
5.Malkin

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
Was close between Jagr, Datsyuk and Ovi for me. Went Ovi, most likely cuz Ive watched him the most

MrOT

Roenick / Modano / Hull
Jan 5, 2016
I think Karlsson should be an option maybe also Kovalev

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad