Most exciting games in Hurricanes History

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
So, piggy backing off of the favourite playoff series thread. Wanted to start a thread about the most exciting games in Hurricanes history.

There are some obvious ones and I imagine many of the playoff clinching wins will be at the top of a lot of lists, but I wanted to leave it pretty open ended. Note that it doesn't have to be a game that the Hurricanes won, although that certainly adds to the excitement a bit.

Here are my top 10. Feel free to post videos if you like...

1. 2006 SCF - Game 7 - Hurricanes 3, Oilers 1
2. 2002 SCF - Game 1 - Hurricanes 3, Red Wings 2 (OT)
3. 2002 SCF - Game 3 - Red Wings 3, Hurricanes 2 (3OT)
4. 2006 SCF - Game 1 - Hurricanes 5, Oilers 4
5. 2006 SCF - Game 5 - Oilers 4, Hurricanes 3 (OT)
6. 2009 ECQF - Game 7 - Hurricanes 3, Bruins 2 (OT)
7. 2019 ECQF - Game 7 - Hurricanes 4, Capitals 3 (2OT)
8. 2009 ECQF - Game 7 - Hurricanes 4, Devils 3
9. 2002 ECF - Game 6 - Hurricanes 2, Leafs 1 (OT)
10. 2002 ECSF - Game 4 - Hurricanes 4, Canadiens 3 (OT)

Honourable Mention:
- 2006 ECF - Game 7 - Hurricanes 4, Sabres 2
- 2009 ECQF - Game 4 - Hurricanes 4, Devils 3
- 2019 - David Ayres Game - Hurricanes 6, Leafs 3

EDIT: This was really hard to put together a top 10 in order. Definitely some regular season games that were great that I didn't even get to but the playoffs games we've had are just magical. There were some playoff OT wins that I left out which is kind of crazy :m-eek:

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Swap out the Molson Miracle for Game 7 against Buffalo and that's my Top 10. There's nothing like a Game 7 that is in doubt late into the game.

Not dramatic or significant enough to crack the Top 10, but I like Game 3 against Washington as an HM. That was about as dominant of a performance as I can remember in franchise playoff history. 5-0 on the scoreboard, 45-18 in shots and even 52-34 in hits (Link). The atmosphere was electric; it definitely sounded like a crowd that waited 10 years for a home playoff game.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Just doing regular season games:

1 - Oct 28th, 2005 - Hurricanes 8, v Flyers 6
05-06 was f***ing wild man, and this game was probably the wildest of the entire regular season

2 - Feb 22nd, 2020 - Hurricanes 6, @ Leafs 3
The David Ayres/EBUG game, simply put there's no way this game isn't still being talked about 20 years from now. That it was entertaining as hell anyway is a bonus.

3 - Oct 18th, 2011 - Hurricanes 4, @ Bruins 1
What's so special about a seemingly normal score line? 1 - the Bruins were the defending cup champs, and a bit of a rivalry had the potential of developing at that point, and 2 - it was the biggest troll game I've ever seen, like I can't recall seeing a team come unhinged that badly before or since. The PIMs do all the talking: Carolina 22 - Boston 70

4 - Dec 31st, 2013 - Hurricanes 5, v Canadiens 4 OT
Down 3-0 heading in to the 3rd Jeff Skinner just flat out takes over. Even bad teams need a great game here and there, and this was one against one of the better Montreal teams this century

5 - Oct 6th, 2019 - Hurricanes 4, v Lightning 3 OT
Sometimes there is just nothing more entertaining than perfect execution. The game started well with a Pesce goal early and then the rest of the period went to shit. Tampa scored three straight with Stamkos scoring with 2:16 to go in the period. That would be Tampas last shot for 25:42, when Stamkos would get one shot followed shortly by one by Hedman, both saved by Mrazek. Those would also be their last 2 shots of the game, with another almost full period stretch held off the shot chart for Tampa before Slavin won it in OT. The shots from the 2nd period on? 27-2 Carolina. Against a team that was historically excellent the season prior and returning essentially the same lineup with a better backup in net.

Last edited:

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Swap out the Molson Miracle for Game 7 against Buffalo and that's my Top 10. There's nothing like a Game 7 that is in doubt late into the game.

Not dramatic or significant enough to crack the Top 10, but I like Game 3 against Washington as an HM. That was about as dominant of a performance as I can remember in franchise playoff history. 5-0 on the scoreboard, 45-18 in shots and even 52-34 in hits (Link). The atmosphere was electric; it definitely sounded like a crowd that waited 10 years for a home playoff game.

I kind of agree with you about swapping the the Sabres game 7 with Miracle at Molson. Game 7 3rd period come from behind win to send your team to the finals is pretty huge. BUT... the Miracle at Molson was pretty insane and it was really the turning point in that series and catapulted the Canes towards their first cup finals appearance as well. Really no wrong answer but I see the argument for either.

Reactions: vorbis and DaveG

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Good additions so far but I'll add a few that I think have become forgotten over time. Regular season to start.

1. Beating Ottawa on October 24, 2005. Senators were the last unbeaten team in the league at that time, Canes came back from 2 down in the 3rd to win 3-2, setting the stage for that epic 8-6 game a few days later.

2. Beating down the Devils on October 15, 2005, 6-1. That night I saw a team that was gelling quicker than expected, and doing it against the Devils in their building was awesome. Actually the whole month of October that year except for opening night was awesome.

3. The nationally televised game against Detroit in January 2006. Canes go up early and then hold off a late Red Wings rally to win, that night they (Canes) showed they were for real and they had the 'signature win' against the leagues top team at that time on OLN (lol) to prove it.

4. Beating the Thrashers (RIP) in their building twice at the buzzer. The first time was in 2004 (Kevyn Adams I think got the winner) and the other was the season after the Cup (Whitney?) At that time never seen a game winning goal with less than a second left on the clock.

5. 7-1 beatdown of the Maple Leafs in Toronto in which the Leafs fans hilariously jeered their team the whole game, this was October 9th, 2007.

6. November 23, 2007. Probably not that memorable but I was in the building to watch Glen Wesley score the winning goal late to beat the Lightning. Turned out to be his last-ever goal, and the only one he scored that season.

7. There was a game in Philly in which Roddy scored a ridiculous shoot-out winner. The puck went airborn and bounced off the Flyers goalies back into the back of the net. Wiki says this was December 15, 2007.

8. Erik Cole had another ridiculous winner that season in Washington. Kind of a Rick Nash move (see Nash goal against Phoenix in 2008) IIRC.

9. Back-to-back wins to start off the 2008-09 season. One being a 3 goal comeback in Tampa.

10. Beating the Islanders at the last second later on that October (2008), Cam Ward stones Doug Weight on a penalty shot to secure the win.

11. The Months of March and April 2009. Lot of good games in there. The two I remember most were the Pittsburgh game (Anton sends us to the playoffs) and the 9-0 beatdown of the Islanders a few days later.

12. January 2010, beating the Blackhawks in front of about 5,000 fans (Snowstorm shut down the state).

13. Eric Staal hat-trick the night he became Captain, think this was in Atlanta.

14. Winning the two games in Finland to start the 2010-11 season

15. Beating the Flyers on Brind'Amour night

16. That Boston game @DaveG mentioned. Lot of whiny Bruins fans that night.

17. The 8-5 win against the Rangers last season, Svech's first goal, the beginning of the storm surge.

18. Finally beating the Rangers at MSG last season. Need more of this.

19. The Aho OT winner in Florida in early March last season, Mrazeks celebration afterwards. I knew they were going to clinch that night.

20. "WE'RE IN! WE'RE IN! YES! YES! WHOO!" Enough said.

Edit, well this turned into more than a "few", and some of these are still recent enough to be remembered.

There's others I can think of but they took place deep in the heart of the "decade of darkness" that the seasons surrounding them ruined the moment. And 20, is enough

Don't ask me how I remember all this, I just do.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Good additions so far but I'll add a few that I think have become forgotten over time. Regular season to start.

1. Beating Ottawa on October 24, 2005. Senators were the last unbeaten team in the league at that time, Canes came back from 2 down in the 3rd to win 3-2, setting the stage for that epic 8-6 game a few days later.

2. Beating down the Devils on October 15, 2005, 6-1. That night I saw a team that was gelling quicker than expected, and doing it against the Devils in their building was awesome. Actually the whole month of October that year except for opening night was awesome.

3. The nationally televised game against Detroit in January 2006. Canes go up early and then hold off a late Red Wings rally to win, that night they (Canes) showed they were for real and they had the 'signature win' against the leagues top team at that time on OLN (lol) to prove it.

4. Beating the Thrashers (RIP) in their building twice at the buzzer. The first time was in 2004 (Kevyn Adams I think got the winner) and the other was the season after the Cup (Whitney?) At that time never seen a game winning goal with less than a second left on the clock.

5. 7-1 beatdown of the Maple Leafs in Toronto in which the Leafs fans hilariously jeered their team the whole game, this was October 9th, 2007.

6. November 23, 2007. Probably not that memorable but I was in the building to watch Glen Wesley score the winning goal late to beat the Lightning. Turned out to be his last-ever goal, and the only one he scored that season.

7. There was a game in Philly in which Roddy scored a ridiculous shoot-out winner. The puck went airborn and bounced off the Flyers goalies back into the back of the net. Wiki says this was December 15, 2007.

8. Erik Cole had another ridiculous winner that season in Washington. Kind of a Rick Nash move (see Nash goal against Phoenix in 2008) IIRC.

9. Back-to-back wins to start off the 2008-09 season. One being a 3 goal comeback in Tampa.

10. Beating the Islanders at the last second later on that October (2008), Cam Ward stones Doug Weight on a penalty shot to secure the win.

11. The Months of March and April 2009. Lot of good games in there. The two I remember most were the Pittsburgh game (Anton sends us to the playoffs) and the 9-0 beatdown of the Islanders a few days later.

12. January 2010, beating the Blackhawks in front of about 5,000 fans (Snowstorm shut down the state).

13. Eric Staal hat-trick the night he became Captain, think this was in Atlanta.

14. Winning the two games in Finland to start the 2010-11 season

15. Beating the Flyers on Brind'Amour night

16. That Boston game @DaveG mentioned. Lot of whiny Bruins fans that night.

17. The 8-5 win against the Rangers last season, Svech's first goal, the beginning of the storm surge.

18. Finally beating the Rangers at MSG last season. Need more of this.

19. The Aho OT winner in Florida in early March last season, Mrazeks celebration afterwards. I knew they were going to clinch that night.

20. "WE'RE IN! WE'RE IN! YES! YES! WHOO!" Enough said.

Edit, well this turned into more than a "few", and some of these are still recent enough to be remembered.

There's others I can think of but they took place deep in the heart of the "decade of darkness" that the seasons surrounding them ruined the moment. And 20, is enough

Don't ask me how I remember all this, I just do.

A couple quick points...

1. I was at that 7-1 drubbing of Toronto in 2007. It was glorious.

2. I will always remember that weirdo Brind'amour shootout goal. I was living in Montreal and forced my friends to put the game on. Even before Tripp said it I called he was going high glove. When that goal went in I chugged a beer and we went out to the bar.

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
2006, game 2, Devils - Canes. Probably my all time favorite game outside of the Stanley Cup game.

1-1 game in the third. The Devils shot the puck and I believe it deflected off Commodores stick, then off the post, and in. The Devil’s take the lead with 20 seconds left in the game. I remember a solid 20-30% of the crowd leaving.

Faceoff at center ice and Brindy basically loses the faceoff on purpose, the Devils power it back, and incomes the Canes forecheck. Canes dug at the puck behind the net like crazy. Eventually Williams comes up with the puck and throws it to the front of the net and finds Eric Staal, Eric puts it in the net with freaking 3 seconds to go. The crowd went freaking nuts, I was screaming so hard I lost my voice.

OT came and I literally couldn’t even squeak out a decibel of noise during OT from the previous goal. That said I think it was 3 minutes in, somehow Brindy finds Wallin breaking in from the wing and Wallin drives it to the net, squeaking through Brouders five hole for the game winning. The Secret Weapon striked again! It was so freaking nuts!

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
2006, game 2, Devils - Canes. Probably my all time favorite game outside of the Stanley Cup game.

1-1 game in the third. The Devils shot the puck and I believe it deflected off Commodores stick, then off the post, and in. The Devil’s take the lead with 20 seconds left in the game. I remember a solid 20-30% of the crowd leaving.

Faceoff at center ice and Brindy basically loses the faceoff on purpose, the Devils power it back, and incomes the Canes forecheck. Canes dug at the puck behind the net like crazy. Eventually Williams comes up with the puck and throws it to the front of the net and finds Eric Staal, Eric puts it in the net with freaking 3 seconds to go. The crowd went freaking nuts, I was screaming so hard I lost my voice.

OT came and I literally couldn’t even squeak out a decibel of noise during OT from the previous goal. That said I think it was 3 minutes in, somehow Brindy finds Wallin breaking in from the wing and Wallin drives it to the net, squeaking through Brouders five hole for the game winning. The Secret Weapon striked again! It was so freaking nuts!

Skip to 1:20:30 and just enjoy the greatness of this game. The crowd was so electric.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON

Oh shit, I remember that Brindy faceoff and the scramble to get Staal the goal. That was brilliant.

And yes, who can forget the secret weapon. Slick Nick.

I think it's gonna be tough to separate an exciting game as a whole with a game that has an exciting finish. That was a great game though and certainly deserves consideration.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
A couple quick points...

1. I was at that 7-1 drubbing of Toronto in 2007. It was glorious.

2. I will always remember that weirdo Brind'amour shootout goal. I was living in Montreal and forced my friends to put the game on. Even before Tripp said it I called he was going high glove. When that goal went in I chugged a beer and we went out to the bar.

I will always remember it as well, but looking at the overhead view, did that go off the crossbar ever so slightly before Biron's back? If so, maybe it shouldn't have counted...

Reactions: vorbis

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
I will always remember it as well, but looking at the overhead view, did that go off the crossbar ever so slightly before Biron's back? If so, maybe it shouldn't have counted...

I don't think it did hit the crossbar but even if it did you would have to let it stand. I don't think the forward motion rule should overrule continuing the play. Like if a player rips it off the post and it hit the goalie in the back or shoulder and then goes into the net you have to count that. It would be crazy not to.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
3 - Oct 18th, 2011 - Hurricanes 4, @ Bruins 1
What's so special about a seemingly normal score line? 1 - the Bruins were the defending cup champs, and a bit of a rivalry had the potential of developing at that point, and 2 - it was the biggest troll game I've ever seen, like I can't recall seeing a team come unhinged that badly before or since. The PIMs do all the talking: Carolina 22 - Boston 70

I almost mentioned this one, I think the Bruins took like 9 penalties in a row, that shit was hilarious

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Should add another one. Cam Wards first win

I think this was the first-ever shootout in league history, and it was at a time when the novelty of it was exciting, no more tie games.

Unfortunately, Fox Sports South crapped out on me in the last 5 minutes of this one so I ended up listening to the radio feed via NHL.com the rest of the way. Chuck was really excited to see rookie Cam stone Mario and Sidney.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
svech is infinitely more skilled than cole

makes me giddy

Cole was fast and physical. He had a decent shot and ok hockey iq. He knew he was limited in many ways but he also knew he had two skills that were elite. He played like I play NHL 20 on ps4 I have my set of plays and I do them every single time I come down the ice into the offensive zone. I don’t care if it’s predictable and telegraphed from the time I get the puck. If you stop it that’s good for you. When I get the puck back I’m gonna try it over and over again until I score and eventually I will. That was Erik Cole and when he was on it was glorious to watch.

wolfofthesteppes

Sponsor
Jul 7, 2006
Magic Theater
December 26, 2001 vs Toronto would be my personal vote for regular season games. The Canes took the lead, gave up the lead, then a helmetless Marty Gelinas scored the game winner all within a minute with 3 or 4 minutes left in the game.

I had been given seats 2 rows off the ice right behind the goal the Canes shot at twice and Ric Flair was sitting in the corner with Arn Anderson to my left. It was quite the scene.

Maple Leafs vs. Hurricanes - Game Summary - December 26, 2001 - ESPN

Lucky Lindy

Jun 24, 2012
Stockholm
Two games I come to think of is:

1. December 2015 @ Dallas. Canes go down 4-0 in the first, score on in the second (Slavins first NHL-goal) and so does Dallas. Canes down 5-1 when they start the third. Faulk, PdG, Faulk again and Skinner scores to tie the game, before Dallas wins it with 19 seconds left. Maybe weird to chose a game when they lose, but it was an exciting comeback where they just falled short. Also, this was when Faulk scored PPGs like crazy, this was goal ten and eleven and it was in the beginning of December.

2. December 16 vs Vancouver. Canes leads 2-1 after one, and then Canucks score four in the second. Then the comeback begins in the third. Goals from Skinner, Hainsey, Rask, Faulk and Jordan Staal gives Canes the lead, Canucks score one to make it close but Stempniak scores an ENG. Crazy third period that was super-fun to watch.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad