Most European/non-North American roster to win the Stanley Cup

OttawaKing

May 24, 2012
I just saw a picture of how many Swedes were on Detroit's 2008 Stanley Cup team and that wasn't including their other guys like Datsyuk and it seemed pretty crazy considering the 2012 LA Kings only had 3(one of whom was loktionov) when they won the Stanley Cup.

I'm wondering how many other teams were like that 2008 Red Wings team or have even more.

mtlmonk

Apr 21, 2014
1998 Red Wings

Federov, Larionov, Fetisov, Mironov, Koslov, Lidstrom, Zetterberg, Ericksson, Holmstrom

Sentinel

May 26, 2009
New Jersey
www.vvinenglish.com
I just saw a picture of how many Swedes were on Detroit's 2008 Stanley Cup team and that wasn't including their other guys like Datsyuk and it seemed pretty crazy considering the 2012 LA Kings only had 3(one of whom was loktionov) when they won the Stanley Cup.

I'm wondering how many other teams were like that 2008 Red Wings team or have even more.
+ Lang, Hudler, Hasek, and Filpulla.

OttawaKing

May 24, 2012
Thats's pretty wild if some of the most euro-centric ones have been Detroit. Seems like they're the only ones who are able to make it work.

Yemack

Oct 30, 2007
Thats's pretty wild if some of the most euro-centric ones have been Detroit. Seems like they're the only ones who are able to make it work.

It was pretty funny back in 2008. when Wings won the cup, Don Cherry got all pissed off and Barry Melrose had to console him live on air. btw I'm not kidding. It really happened. He nitpicked every little single things his petty mind could find about Red Wings. He still doesn't likes Babcock that much. Wait till Leafs falter in future, he is going to be all over it.

Cory Trevor

Smokes, Let's go
Sep 23, 2009
Waltham
It was pretty funny back in 2008. when Wings won the cup, Don Cherry got all pissed off and Barry Melrose had to console him live on air. btw I'm not kidding. It really happened. He nitpicked every little single things his petty mind could find about Red Wings. He still doesn't likes Babcock that much. Wait till Leafs falter in future, he is going to be all over it.

Couldn't handle those post lockout days to save his life.

Meanwhile if Datsyuk had been born in Brampton he would honestly be a god.

Phil McKraken

Jul 13, 2010
Sweden

How many other Euro centric teams have there been though? By Euro centric I assume you mean teams where most of the core players are European, with some Euro depth. The Predators if they win might be the closest to the 08 Red Wings, with Rinne, Forsberg, Arvidsson, Josi and Ekholm being very prolific, and with some Euro depth guys like Fiala, Järnkrok and Weber.

OttawaKing

May 24, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBgsaRFZJ2Q

Is this it? I could also see it having happened another time and those two guys really trying to bait Cherry and get him all riled up about the wings. I was kinda hoping he'd react too.

Cherry knows what he likes though, and that playoffs it was Gary Roberts. Looking through videos to find that link that became very obvious...

Are you sure he'll hate on the Leafs? I'm pretty sure CBC has a mandate for its broadcasters to love the leafs now that they've made the playoffs, or so I've heard...

Last edited:

OttawaKing

May 24, 2012
How many other Euro centric teams have there been though? By Euro centric I assume you mean teams where most of the core players are European, with some Euro depth. The Predators if they win might be the closest to the 08 Red Wings, with Rinne, Forsberg, Arvidsson, Josi and Ekholm being very prolific, and with some Euro depth guys like Fiala, Järnkrok and Weber.

There's a few ways you could look at it. Initially I was just wondering what team had the most non-North American players on it when it won the Stanley cup. You could also look at it as having the majority of their most important players being European since that would be interesting too.

I mean, if I had a ridiculous amount of time on my hands it would be cool to go and try to find which have been the most European teams of the regular season and the playoffs in the past years and see how they've done as well.(did they suck or were they one of the best, type of thing)

Nashville does seem like a good example of that this year, and I remember Ottawa being a bit like this as well for awhile.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
are the 2007 ducks the most north american team to win it all?

selanne, pahlsson, and bryzgalov were the only euros on the roster

Montreal Shadow

Feb 18, 2008
Montreal
Couldn't handle those post lockout days to save his life.

Meanwhile if Datsyuk had been born in Brampton he would honestly be a god.

How in the F? There were polls at the time pitting Datsyuk against Crosby and a good chunk of people were favoring Datsyuk. There's a thread on the main board asking if he's generational. He was constantly ranked as one of the best players, hardest to play against and won multiple Selke's.

Yet you think somehow his Russian background prevented him from being rated even higher?

TheTwelfth

Jan 6, 2014
The Tardis
How in the F? There were polls at the time pitting Datsyuk against Crosby and a good chunk of people were favoring Datsyuk. There's a thread on the main board asking if he's generational. He was constantly ranked as one of the best players, hardest to play against and won multiple Selke's.

Yet you think somehow his Russian background prevented him from being rated even higher?

This was in response to Don Cherry's opinion of Datsyuk and Euro players in general

TheTwelfth

Jan 6, 2014
The Tardis
2002 Detroit Red Wings

Hasek

Fischer
Krupp
Kuznetsov
Lidstrom
Olausson
Slegr

Butsayev
Datsyuk
Fedorov
Holmstrom
Kohn
Larionov

Lidstrom also became the first non-NA player to win the Conn Smythe.

2008 Detroit Red Wings

Hasek

Ericsson
Kronwall
Lidstrom
Lilja

Datsyuk
Filippula
Franzén
Holmstrom
Hudler
Kopecky
Ritola
Samuelsson
Zetterberg

Lidstrom also became the first non-NA captain to win the Stanley Cup, and Zetterberg the second European to win the Conn Smythe. 3/4 of the Detroit captains + alternates were European/Russian.

Howe Elbows 9

Sep 16, 2007
Sweden
are the 2007 ducks the most north american team to win it all?

selanne, pahlsson, and bryzgalov were the only euros on the roster

According to Wikipedia, the 1993 Canadiens were the latest Cup winning team composed solely of North American-born players.

gretskidoo

Nov 26, 2011
It's the 2008 Wings.

6 Swedes, 1 Finn, 1 Russian, 1 Czech and 1 American as the top 10 scorers in the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad