"Most Canadian" equipment manufacturer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maccer

Bring back Pat!!
Mar 10, 2013
Leafs Nation
So I'm trying to figure out which equipment manufacturer is the "most canadian", by that I mean how much business stays in Canada. Looking in to ownership, manufacturing, offices, employment, ect.

From what I gather
Bauer(Public company, majority owned by Kohlberg)-American
Easton-American
CCM-Owned by Reebok
Reebok-American
Warrior-American

How much of their money stays in Canada? Is Sherwood the only real Canadian equipment manufacturer left?

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
So I'm trying to figure out which equipment manufacturer is the "most canadian", by that I mean how much business stays in Canada. Looking in to ownership, manufacturing, offices, employment, ect.

From what I gather
Bauer(Public company, majority owned by Kohlberg)-American
Easton-American
CCM-Owned by Reebok
Reebok-American

Warrior-American

How much of their money stays in Canada? Is Sherwood the only real Canadian equipment manufacturer left?

Reebok is owned by Adidas, it's a German company now. It's originally from Bolton, England.

ark

Awesomesauce
Jul 16, 2007
Markham, Canada
Is Brians?

I recently bought a set of Brian's goalie gear, the sales guy mentioned that a couple of times in the sales speech haha.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010

Well, you seem to have a pretty good handle on it. Sherwood's been through a fair amount since its founding in Quebec back in the 40's as Sherwood-Drolet, changed hands a few times, filed for Bankruptcy back in 2008 then re-emerged under a reorganization plan that included having their wooden sticks manufactured off-shore while concentrating on the composites in Canada.

The first family of hockey equipment mfg was the Starr Skate Company of Dartmouth Nova Scotia along with Mic-Mac Hockey Sticks of northern New Brunswick in the late 18th & early 19th Centuries. The Canadian Cycle Manufacturing (C.C.M.) company entered in the 1900's producing steel blades & innovated the tube skate, acquiring George Tackaberry's (of Winnipeg) skate boot mfg firm and introducing C.C.M. Tacks, the most widely used & popular skate with amateurs & pro's through to the mid-70's. Lost market share to their main rival Bauer at that time who came out with the Tuuk chassis system....

Daoust, Hespeler, Cooper-Weekes (nee: Cooper which became the #1 equipment mfg in the 60's) followed. Spalding & others in the US also producing skates & equipment as early as the 20's. Northland Hockey Stick Mfg Co, Christian Brothers of Minnesota and so on. Interesting histories all. Several smaller boutique & specialty manufacturers in Canada still, notable goalie equipment makers, the Granddaddy of them all being Kenesky's of Hamilton Ontario who's handmade pads were used by most NHL & minor pro, major junior players from the 40's to mid 60's.... I would recommend you simply visit the Canadian Sporting Goods Manufacturers Association website for a detailed breakdown of Canadian owned & manufactured suppliers, and see if they list what % of their product is sold domestically and what % is sold via export if such inf is even made public.

Good luck, and closed....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad