Most boring franchise in season 23/24

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
Kings fan saying Kings. People point the finger at McLellan for the 1-3-1 but he’s gone and they’re still playing that way. And I don’t remember him using that strategy when he coached the Sharks or Oilers. It’s clearly a mandate from Blake and Luc. The way the roster is built, in general, sucks.
With the goalies that the Kings have, it makes perfect sense to play their style IMO.

Louskoolaid89

We're back!
Oct 14, 2017
Weird post. The Caps lost Backstrom, traded Kuznetsov, Ovi broke the 30-goal season records, Oshie and Carlson broke 1,000 games, Carlson became the Caps all-time leading scorer on defense, Chuckie Lindgren became one of the league’s better stories in net, Carberry had a terrific first year as coach, they sold at the deadline… and they’re playing tonight in a win-or-go-home scenario. Last season was infinitely more boring and miserable as a Caps fan.

And yeah, they play a lot of close games… which is the opposite of boring. But I will grant you that their style of play is not the most exciting — they know who they have to be to win and that’s a low-event, grind it out type team.
Low event and grinding isn't fun to watch as a neutral observer. As a long time Devils fan we did it as well as anyone and I'm not sorry for any of it but, I certainly understand what the outsiders and haters saw. Hence I like today's game better because the league is less and less of that but, kudos to your Capitals and yes some good story lines tommorow. The Caps don't look like they need to go full on blow it up to rebuild because your player development and drafting is soild your already competitive with being a seller last year. Your rivals from western Pennsylvania need to pay attention to how your franchise is going about it's business.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Low event and grinding isn't fun to watch as a neutral observer. As a long time Devils fan we did it as well as anyone and I'm not sorry for any of it but, I certainly understand what the outsiders and haters saw. Hence I like today's game better because the league is less and less of that but, kudos to your Capitals and yes some good story lines tommorow. The Caps don't look like they need to go full on blow it up to rebuild because your player development and drafting is soild your already competitive with being a seller last year. Your rivals from western Pennsylvania need to pay attention to how your franchise is going about it's business.
Yeah, all good points. It’s been weird to adjust to as a Caps fan… these are the waning days of our Young Guns / Boudreau era Caps who played fire wagon hockey and this looks more like the Dale Hunter sludge and grind style. Would be nice for us to see Ovi get another run in the playoffs, after last season it wasn’t looking like they’d be competitive for at least a few more years.

Reactions: Louskoolaid89

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Weird post. The Caps lost Backstrom, traded Kuznetsov, Ovi broke the 30-goal season records, Oshie and Carlson broke 1,000 games, Carlson became the Caps all-time leading scorer on defense, Chuckie Lindgren became one of the league’s better stories in net, Carberry had a terrific first year as coach, they sold at the deadline… and they’re playing tonight in a win-or-go-home scenario. Last season was infinitely more boring and miserable as a Caps fan.

And yeah, they play a lot of close games… which is the opposite of boring. But I will grant you that their style of play is not the most exciting — they know who they have to be to win and that’s a low-event, grind it out type team.
Fam, your team just made the playoffs with 18 shots on net. Get out of here with this nonsense lol.

Last edited:

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Come on. Interesting? Like not make the playoffs again (with or without Babcock)? A big trade?

I think maybe you're expressing disappointment, and that's OK. You want them to win. I suppose interesting to you is winning. That's cool. I just don't think Babs would have made a difference. Many hockey media peeps had CBJ near the bottom of the standings.

When you think of CBJ in the big picture you might be anxious or cynical. They are probably the worst team I can think of since they came into the league. This year will be 17 times they did not qualify for the playoffs since 2000. I know CBJ fans will go at me on this one, and poke fun at the Leafs, but Holy God...
Babcock would have been interesting just because some egomaniac crazy would have poked through eventually. Not good entertaining, but like five car pile up on the highway where everyone slows down to look.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side

Take Ovi off the team and they'd probably be my vote. Boring doesn't mean bad.

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Minnesota has the fewest high danger chances against in the league at 615 while also having the 6th lowest chances for at 654.

Even the Kings are at least middle of the pack for scoring chances. The Wild are, somehow, again, one of the lowest event teams at both ends of the ice.

Last edited:
Reactions: Summer Rose

BB79

Apr 30, 2011
In order:

Columbus
San Jose
Calgary
Anaheim

Fam, your team just made the playoffs with 18 shots on net. Get out of here with this nonsense.
One of the most low energy clinching games I can remember 🤣

wired14

Jan 28, 2008
I’ll agree with Seattle. This is also one of my concerns with the talk of further expansion in the league. More teams means more guys in the league who wouldn’t have been good enough to be there before. Additionally, some teams have a lot of middling players who are good enough to play in the league but aren’t close to star level. It makes it harder to watch, harder to promote players, harder to build rivalries with boring teams like this, etc.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
ottawa senators. the best and only good thing they did was that slapper at the leafs empty net.

I mean, the sens are awful, but they're always making headlines for wild reasons.

I wouldn't call that boring. Quite the opposite. Even their games are wildly inconsistent. Huge roller coaster of a team but always with a bad result.

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
Minnesota has the fewest high danger chances against in the league at 615 while also having the 6th lowest chances for at 654.

Even the Kings are at least middle of the pack for scoring chances. The Wild are, somehow, again, one of the lowest event teams at both ends of the ice.
Those are high danger chances, in terms of the actual goal results, the Wild are no where near boring. I would argue that “fluky” goals at both ends are more entertaining to fans.

Also, Boldy and Kaprizov alone are more entertaining than half the leagues forward corps.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
ottawa senators. the best and only good thing they did was that slapper at the leafs empty net.

I wish.

Between the Pinto gambling thing and the ADB trade and being forced to give up a 1st round pick because of the Dadonov deal, having our GM and coach fired, and having the worst goaltending in the league, there was a lot more excitement than I’d like.

Unfortunately, you don’t need to be good to be exciting.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
35D495A6-EE7F-4ED0-BF1F-72A028A053EE.jpeg

Reactions: ZJuice

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Buffalo.

They took the off-season off. Didn’t have a 60 point player. UPL played great and so few people even noticed the Granato thread immediately had jokes about goaltending claiming another victim. They couldn’t string together wins. They didn’t string together losses. They were never in the race and just sat around .500 all year. They couldn’t get to OT…they just either won or lost every night to no rhyme, reason, or excitment.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad