Most boring franchise in season 23/24

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
What is your favorite for the most boring team in this season? Obviously it should be a team, that will not go to playoffs. Also a team, that dont have any star, any record breaking moments. And zero on-ice and off-ice scandals.

San Jose Sharks? Maybe, but they did this famous 12 games losing streak. And they are last.

For me it is Seattle Kraken. Nothing special happened with this franchise in season 23/24.

TheUnusedCrayon

Apr 12, 2018
What is your favorite for the most boring team in this season? Obviously it should be a team, that will not go to playoffs. Also a team, that dont have any star, any record breaking moments. And zero on-ice and off-ice scandals.

San Jose Sharks? Maybe, but they did this famous 12 games losing streak. And they are last.

For me it is Seattle Kraken. Nothing special happened with this franchise in season 23/24.
There's absolutely no contest to the LA Kings this year.

I usually love the Kings but holy f***ing trap man. Every game is a f***ing snooze fest. Peak Minnesota Wild snooze fest hockey.

They went from one of my most liked teams to hating them more than Boston. That's how f***ing boring they are.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
There's absolutely no contest to the LA Kings this year.

I usually love the Kings but holy f***ing trap man. Every game is a f***ing snooze fest. Peak Minnesota Wild snooze fest hockey.

They went from one of my most liked teams to hating them more than Boston. That's how f***ing boring they are.

Their style of play is getting more publicity this year but it's been going on for a while. Not sure when they exactly started that style, but I do remember watching them last year, and their setup took me back to the lemaire style devils/wild. It was a trip back in time.

I'm guessing it started at some point under mclennan's guidance.

tfwnogf

Dec 15, 2013
ottawa senators. the best and only good thing they did was that slapper at the leafs empty net.

GlitchMarner

Typical malevolent, devious & vile Maple Leafs fan
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
Yeah, what the hell happened to the Kraken this year?

Last year they were pretty fun. They didn't have much (if any) star power but scored a lot with great four line depth and they had cool colors/uniforms and were only in their second season. They were a good story and a likeable team.

This year they just... sucked. Couldn't score and were out of the playoffs all year and consistently bad outside of a few hot streaks.

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
Yeah, what the hell happened to the Kraken this year?

Last year they were pretty fun. They didn't have much (if any) star power but scored a lot with great four line depth and they had cool colors/uniforms and were only in their second season. They were a good story and a likeable team.

This year they just... sucked. Couldn't score and were out of the playoffs all year and consistently bad outside of a few hot streaks.

Injuries, and a couple players sliding in quality quite a bit, but generally speaking it's injuries. If just Burakovsky stays healthy and plays just to expectations, the Kraken are fighting for a playoff spot this deep in the season, but alas... nope. The hockey hasn't been thrilling, but it's definitely more interesting than a few other teams.

For me, the most boring team is probably... The Sens, but if I'm pretending to be a neutral observer, it's the Kraken. Looking at the stats, it's definitely the most boring hockey. The Kraken are sitting 29th in goals for and likely will stay there. They are also 25th in goals against, so the least number of goals are scored in total in Kraken games. It's also not terribly punishing hockey to make up for it. It's just guys doing average things and a couple standing out above the rest. They also didn't really have a player that was must watch until Shane Wright played a few games late in the season. I enjoy watching guys like McCann and Daccord, and seeing Ryker Evans on the big squad was fun, but yeah... it's not exactly thrilling hockey and the results align with that.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Washington Capitals 100%, I don't hate them by any means, but wanting to put all the effort into winning games 1-0 and 2-1 was paint-dry level since nothing is going on in them as chances are at a bare minimum. The Kraken and Blue Jackets at least have some interesting players to watch and the Sharks had some great 9 to 10 goals against games.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Injuries, and a couple players sliding in quality quite a bit, but generally speaking it's injuries. If just Burakovsky stays healthy and plays just to expectations, the Kraken are fighting for a playoff spot this deep in the season, but alas... nope. The hockey hasn't been thrilling, but it's definitely more interesting than a few other teams.
It is far more than injuries, you lot had one of the worst offseasons I've seen in the past 5-8 years. Seriously, could not re-sign Sprong and to the good deal that the Red Wings got? You lost a ton of offensive players and did not replace the majority of them. It makes perfect sense why they're sitting at 29th in goals for.

Pure Slaughter Value

Jun 6, 2002
New York
Visit site
Islanders have had mostly the same roster for so long that I can't distinguish between any of their seasons anymore.

They were far from boring this year. They had a knack for going up a couple and falling apart in the third, being forced into OT and losing in OT.

First half of the season was run and gun, failing miserably under Lambert. Second half was much better under Roy as the team actually scored a couple of eng's after not scoring for more than 50 games.

Their PK was incredibly exciting as they had a historically bad year. Teams would pepper us, forcing 2 minute shifts for both F's and D's.

Years ago we could have a lead and you might as well turn the game off as it was going to be all trapping for 30 minutes. Now a lead has become something where you just know they're going to give it up.

Agita for fans of the Isles this year but not boring.

I'd go with the Devils without Hughes on the ice. Absolutely atrocious to watch.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
The Blue Jackets. Could've had an interesting season with Babcock at the wheel, but instead their young players complained and got him fired and since that point they've not done a single thing of interest off- or on the ice.
Come on. Interesting? Like not make the playoffs again (with or without Babcock)? A big trade?

I think maybe you're expressing disappointment, and that's OK. You want them to win. I suppose interesting to you is winning. That's cool. I just don't think Babs would have made a difference. Many hockey media peeps had CBJ near the bottom of the standings.

When you think of CBJ in the big picture you might be anxious or cynical. They are probably the worst team I can think of since they came into the league. This year will be 17 times they did not qualify for the playoffs since 2000. I know CBJ fans will go at me on this one, and poke fun at the Leafs, but Holy God...

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Washington Capitals 100%, I don't hate them by any means, but wanting to put all the effort into winning games 1-0 and 2-1 was paint-dry level since nothing is going on in them as chances are at a bare minimum. The Kraken and Blue Jackets at least have some interesting players to watch and the Sharks had some great 9 to 10 goals against games.
Weird post. The Caps lost Backstrom, traded Kuznetsov, Ovi broke the 30-goal season records, Oshie and Carlson broke 1,000 games, Carlson became the Caps all-time leading scorer on defense, Chuckie Lindgren became one of the league’s better stories in net, Carberry had a terrific first year as coach, they sold at the deadline… and they’re playing tonight in a win-or-go-home scenario. Last season was infinitely more boring and miserable as a Caps fan.

And yeah, they play a lot of close games… which is the opposite of boring. But I will grant you that their style of play is not the most exciting — they know who they have to be to win and that’s a low-event, grind it out type team.

Reactions: PlushMinus

Madap

May 24, 2019
Toronto, ON, Canada
Seattle and Columbus, already mentioned but I agree.

I’ll say Anaheim too. Zegras threw a bit of a hissy fit in the penalty box but that’s about all I remember from them this season.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Definitely the Kraken. At least Columbus had some crazy stories with Babcock and some of the weird decisions Pascal Vincent has made with their roster. I literally can't recall anything main board thread worthy that Seattle has done this season.

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
It is far more than injuries, you lot had one of the worst offseasons I've seen in the past 5-8 years. Seriously, could not re-sign Sprong and to the good deal that the Red Wings got? You lost a ton of offensive players and did not replace the majority of them. It makes perfect sense why they're sitting at 29th in goals for.

You aren't wrong.

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
Definitely the Kraken. At least Columbus had some crazy stories with Babcock and some of the weird decisions Pascal Vincent has made with their roster. I literally can't recall anything main board thread worthy that Seattle has done this season.

Nothing during the season. In the off-season was about the only drama the team has ever really had, but the involved player isn't on the Kraken anymore and frankly the drama was pretty short lived. We definitely need something interesting to happen this off-season for sure, because the status quo is not going to work out.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Seattle is a good shout. Columbus too.

On the “good team” end of the spectrum, maybe Carolina? Everyone expected them to be good, and they were, with nothing really exciting happening to them.

Nasti

Jan 30, 2006
Long Beach, CA
Kings fan saying Kings. People point the finger at McLellan for the 1-3-1 but he’s gone and they’re still playing that way. And I don’t remember him using that strategy when he coached the Sharks or Oilers. It’s clearly a mandate from Blake and Luc. The way the roster is built, in general, sucks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad