Pre-Game Talk: MOSER

El Travo

Why are we still here? Just to suffer?
Aug 11, 2015
Sorry guys, I've been super busy lately and haven't been home a whole lot so I haven't really dedicated any time to this game. I don't know if I'm going to end up continuing it. It was a neat idea at the time so if someone else wants to take a crack at it by all means go for it. I may try doing it for the Playoffs, we'll see.

Reactions: Snow Arc

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
I don't know what you guys are talking about. Moser is as good as anyone else in the league. :sarcasm:

Reactions: MacKaRant

SirLoinOfCloth

Apr 22, 2019
Colorado
Moser is the McDavid of commentary. If points were awarded for euphemisms he'd lead the league every year. He's an absolutely generational talent.

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
Honestly Mose is just flat out not great at his job. I won't say bad, because he sure tries and he sure brings his own enthusiasm, but he is just not articulate or well spoken enough for a job in broadcasting, he sounds lost half the night and trips over McNab the other half

He really doesn't have a solid grasp on the English language either - someone else mentioned that he used "momentarily" wrong, I recall from a few games ago he said Chris Kreider was playing so well he was "just unconscious right now", which I mean I guess he was going for "unconscionable", but the way it came out was just flat out misleading, like it sounded like Kreider was injured... again, just poor at his job

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Avs want their broadcast to sound like an Avalanche infomercial and that's what they have. They aren't describing a hockey game, they are selling the Avs. It's always been like that.

Moser isn't the issue, the Avs are.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Avs want their broadcast to sound like an Avalanche infomercial and that's what they have. They aren't describing a hockey game, they are selling the Avs. It's always been like that.

Moser isn't the issue, the Avs are.
I mean yeah, but it’s the Avs network. Of course they’re going to be biased towards the Avs. Even with all the bias we see McNab gush over plenty of other teams and specific players around the league.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I mean yeah, but it’s the Avs network. Of course they’re going to be biased towards the Avs. Even with all the bias we see McNab gush over plenty of other teams and specific players around the league.
You can root for a team and at the same time acknowledge what's happening on the ice objectively.

ie: Dallas broadcast

SirLoinOfCloth

Apr 22, 2019
Colorado
I remember Lombardi once saying on the radio show that Moser is incredible because he doesn't have a list of player names/numbers/positions in front of him. That he just learns it all off by heart and doesn't need the prompt like other broadcasters do.

Which is great and all, but no wonder he gets everyone's names wrong. Maybe try a prompt.

Reactions: S E P H and AvsGuy

Slurpeelover27

Unleash the MaKaraken!!!
Mar 7, 2018
British Columbia
Honestly Mose is just flat out not great at his job. I won't say bad, because he sure tries and he sure brings his own enthusiasm, but he is just not articulate or well spoken enough for a job in broadcasting, he sounds lost half the night and trips over McNab the other half

He really doesn't have a solid grasp on the English language either - someone else mentioned that he used "momentarily" wrong, I recall from a few games ago he said Chris Kreider was playing so well he was "just unconscious right now", which I mean I guess he was going for "unconscionable", but the way it came out was just flat out misleading, like it sounded like Kreider was injured... again, just poor at his job
I am sorry, but it is ironic that you are criticizing someone on the use of the English language when you have the benefit of foresight and time to think about things whereas Moser is talking as things are unfolding. Using "unconscious" to describe how someone is playing in sports is often used (even though it is not really a correct usage of the word) I believe to infer that the player is playing so well that it is almost seems instinctual and so easy for him or her that he/she does not even need to think about what they are doing. The term "unconscionable" means unreasonable, unjust or not right. Your guess that he was meaning to use the word unconscionable is completely wrong.

IMO Moser is just not great at adding much insight or variety to his commentating. He is not the worst, and is acceptable. It's not an easy job and he seems to try his best to make the calls exciting. Can't fault his enthusiasm.

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
I am sorry, but it is ironic that you are criticizing someone on the use of the English language when you have the benefit of foresight and time to think about things whereas Moser is talking as things are unfolding. Using "unconscious" to describe how someone is playing in sports is often used (even though it is not really a correct usage of the word) I believe to infer that the player is playing so well that it is almost seems instinctual and so easy for him or her that he/she does not even need to think about what they are doing. The term "unconscionable" means unreasonable, unjust or not right. Your guess that he was meaning to use the word unconscionable is completely wrong.

IMO Moser is just not great at adding much insight or variety to his commentating. He is not the worst, and is acceptable. It's not an easy job and he seems to try his best to make the calls exciting. Can't fault his enthusiasm.

Yeah that's not what irony means lol, misuses the word while trying to explain how not to misuse words

Thanks for letting me know I'm completely wrong though broseph

Crossfire Hurricane

Sponsor
Aug 19, 2006
Redondo Beach
I liked Moser on the radio where his mistakes were less noticeable and he made every dump in sound like a dangerous chance. I'm not a huge fan of McGahey, but he's much better. Wasn't the plan for them to switch at some point?

Moosehead1

Nov 29, 2006
Yeah that's not what irony means lol, misuses the word while trying to explain how not to misuse words

Thanks for letting me know I'm completely wrong though broseph

Christ. Facepalm. Does that do it for ya?

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
I propose that MOSER, becomes our playoff avatar theme, complete with Impact font for maximum comedy.

Snow Arc

We have to shout above the din of our RiceCrispies
Aug 14, 2020
In order for this game to be playable, each player needs a different ramdomized board, with "my goodness" being the center free space. Sounds hard but possible I guess

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad