Recalled/Assigned: Morin to Rockford/Bickell off IR

CertainAffinity*

I really think they haven't really turned it up defensively yet this season and I don't blame them. Hopefully they have a switch to turn on down the stretch.

The thing is, it's a very rare team that believes they can flip the switch when they need to, and actually do when the time comes.

I also believe this team is still not all there as far as the less fun, more detail-oriented parts of the game. Gassing yourself back-checking, constantly stopping and starting on the PK to stay in lanes and pressure puck-carriers, making quick simple passes up the neutral zone instead of always going for the dramatic stretch pass for the break-away (and hell, just staying in your damn zone until the puck is finally cleared instead of flying to the red line as soon as you get a hint it might be on it's way out) are not fun.

It takes discipline and consistent effort, and when just a few short months ago you were playing for the cup, where every single shift was the difference between victory and defeat, I bet it's hard to convince yourself that what you do with 40+ games left of the regular seasons is really meaningful.

But they need to get back into that groove, cause trying to 'turn it on' in game 1 of series 1 could be a disaster, especially if the other team has been in playoff mode for a month or two.

LandofLincoln*

Fair enough. :laugh:

I still think he's best suited to a third-line role. And that's no insult. Sometimes people make it out like 3rd liners are totally expendable and grow on trees. Finding a player that can perform a mix of grinding, shut-down, and potting goals is TOUGH to find, especially those who can do so consistently against the best players.

My ideal lines for this team are still:

Kane/Toews/Bickell hell no
Hossa/Pirri(Zus)/Sharp hell no
Saad/Shaw/Versteeg excellent
Morin/Krueger/Smith excellent

But that relies on Bickell getting back into playoff form. For now, the Hossa/Toews/Sharp line is doing so well that's hard to rationalize changing anything up. I just prefer Toews, Hossa and Saad on different lines because they're our best forecheckers, while Bickell on the top line gives Kane and Toews more room to move, and he's proven he can 'play up' to the people around him.

We shall see what happens.

These line are horrible. LW or RW sometimes are interchangeable but LW = Physicality most times and RW = skill most times. Versteeg can play LW or RW but Bickell should never play RW in the top six ever. EVER. Maybe Bickell RW on 3rd line maybe. Pay attention to your forwards you got guys slotted opposite what they play.

Hossa and Sharp together without Toews has been one combination Q never puts together. I don't like them together Sharp & Hossa with Zus or Pirri. Kane deserves to play with Toews a few games, but Kane plays good with whatever center Q gives him.

CertainAffinity*

These line are horrible. LW or RW sometimes are interchangeable but LW = Physicality most times and RW = skill most times. Versteeg can play LW or RW but Bickell should never play RW in the top six ever. EVER. Maybe Bickell RW on 3rd line maybe. Pay attention to your forwards you got guys slotted opposite what they play.

Hossa and Sharp together without Toews has been one combination Q never puts together. I don't like them together Sharp & Hossa with Zus or Pirri. Kane deserves to play with Toews a few games, but Kane plays good with whatever center Q gives him.

Whatever, I accidentally slotted them on the wrong side as I was listing them. The intent was pretty clear.

I think pretty much everybody else who read the post figured I meant Kane and Bickell in their natural positions. :laugh:

You never really explained why you dislike Hossa and Sharp together without Toews. Hossa and Sharp clearly have a level of comfort with each other, and if Pirri is going to play 2C at all than he needs somebody like Hossa who is defensively responsible to mitigate his defensive issues.

LandofLincoln*

Whatever, I accidentally slotted them on the wrong side as I was listing them. The intent was pretty clear.

I think pretty much everybody else who read the post figured I meant Kane and Bickell in their natural positions. :laugh:

You never really explained why you dislike Hossa and Sharp together without Toews. Hossa and Sharp clearly have a level of comfort with each other, and if Pirri is going to play 2C at all than he needs somebody like Hossa who is defensively responsible to mitigate his defensive issues.

Okay harmless mistake I did that a few times to when I was new to HFboards. It showed I was a rookie and sometimes I still show my rookie carlessness.

I think it was going back to the Kruger experiment at 2C Sharp & Hossa together didn't click. Sharp is very streaky and he could have been going through a funk while playing with Hoss.

You might be right they could be okay to play together. But now that I mentioned it look for it and notice it. Sharp & Hossa never play together on the 2nd line. Of all the top six combinations you can mix and match with and you can do many but that one is avoided. Usually Hossa and Sharp are separated, unless Toews is in the middle.

cassac

Sep 19, 2013
Okay harmless mistake I did that a few times to when I was new to HFboards. It showed I was a rookie and sometimes I still show my rookie carlessness.

I think it was going back to the Kruger experiment at 2C Sharp & Hossa together didn't click. Sharp is very streaky and he could have been going through a funk while playing with Hoss.

You might be right they could be okay to play together. But now that I mentioned it look for it and notice it. Sharp & Hossa never play together on the 2nd line. Of all the top six combinations you can mix and match with and you can do many but that one is avoided. Usually Hossa and Sharp are separated, unless Toews is in the middle.

First, nice ego on the internet. Wow, you have been posting here for longer than other people. What a badass.

Second, weren't Sharp and Hossa on the second line together during the SC Finals last year with Zeus at center? IIRC, first line was Bicks Tazer and Kane too.

Pepe Silvia

Jan 2, 2012
Chicago

I would think this is because there's more left handed shooters, and skill guys usually play the off wing.

LandofLincoln*

First, nice ego on the internet. Wow, you have been posting here for longer than other people. What a badass.

Second, weren't Sharp and Hossa on the second line together during the SC Finals last year with Zeus at center? IIRC, first line was Bicks Tazer and Kane too.

Thanks for understanding I needed to feed my ego and the internet is a great place to do that. Yeah it was Sharp Handzus Hossa on the second line in the Cup final. Duh, didn't you watch the finals? Don't claim to be a fan if you can't remember the lines last season.

CertainAffinity*

Thanks for understanding I needed to feed my ego and the internet is a great place to do that. Yeah it was Sharp Handzus Hossa on the second line in the Cup final. Duh, didn't you watch the finals? Don't claim to be a fan if you can't remember the lines last season.

....OK...but your whole point was that Hossa and Sharp never play together unless Toews is the center.

And now you've just confirmed that Hossa and Sharp DID in fact play together without Toews as a center, and in the most important games of the year, no less.

Chris Hansen

THESE LEGS ARE FRESH
Aug 17, 2007
Does anyone know our record with Brookbank on wing? Honestly.

It's good because the Blackhawks are good. Doesn't make it any less stupid.

With all the (correct) talk about how deep Chicago is with NHL roster players and good prospects behind them, it's bizarre that they're the one team to constantly put a defenseman in at forward this season.

CertainAffinity*

Does anyone know our record with Brookbank on wing? Honestly.

Not any better or worse than without him playing wing.

The problem isn't really Brookbank honestly. He's not great, but not terrible. The problem is that when he plays wing, he plays all of like 10 minutes max.

There's no point ****ing dressing somebody to play that little, and there are options who are if not better, at least equal (Morin).

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
Life is so good when all you have to argue about is the 4th line winger and how your 8 top 6 forwards should be dispersed throughout the lineup.

CertainAffinity*

Brookbank at forward is nowhere near Morin. Hell, he isn't even close to Nordstrom. I'd take Mills back to play wing before Sheldon.

If you say so.

Either guy is only getting sheltered minutes, and deservedly so. I'd rather it be Morin, because at least any time he puts in is time toward his development at the NHL level. While time put towards Brookbank at wing is just wasted time.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
If you say so.

Either guy is only getting sheltered minutes, and deservedly so. I'd rather it be Morin, because at least any time he puts in is time toward his development at the NHL level. While time put towards Brookbank at wing is just wasted time.

Let me be clear; I was referring to Brookbank. Morin absolutely should be on the roster.

CertainAffinity*

Let me be clear; I was referring to Brookbank. Morin absolutely should be on the roster.

Right, I was saying I'm not as staunch one way or the other as you.

I think Morin is the better choice because I think it serves the team better to use sheltered minutes to give a promising prospect some NHL play time, versus using sheltered minutes to let a defensemen play forward.

I also think Morin is a better forward than Brookbank, but he's a prospect and has [understandably] demonstrated his own fair share of struggles and issues on the ice this season.

TL;DR version: I don't think 10 minutes of Morin per night makes us a significantly better hockey team than 10 minutes of Brookbank per night. I just think using Morin is the smarter option as far as long-term planning and potential.

RomersWorld*

Jeremy Morin(5 on 5)
2.54 Points/60 (2nd on Hawks, behind only Kane)
14.31 Shots/60 (1st on Hawks by far)
17.888 iFenwick/60 (1st on Hawks by far)
22.487 iCorsi/60 (1st on Hawks by far)
1.192 Goals For/20 (2nd on Hawks)

Clearly not ready to be on a contender.

Maybe he isn't good enough to be in the top 9 of this team...but he is on most. And he is certainly a better player and option than Bollig/Brookbank so don't give me that BS.

CertainAffinity*

Jeremy Morin(5 on 5)
2.54 Points/60 (2nd on Hawks, behind only Kane)
14.31 Shots/60 (1st on Hawks by far)
17.888 iFenwick/60 (1st on Hawks by far)
22.487 iCorsi/60 (1st on Hawks by far)
1.192 Goals For/20 (2nd on Hawks)

Clearly not ready to be on a contender.

Maybe he isn't good enough to be in the top 9 of this team...but he is on most. And he is certainly a better player and option than Bollig/Brookbank so don't give me that BS.

I never said he wasn't better than Bollig/Brookbank, I said that at 10 minutes per night the difference isn't significant. And for somebody that cites stats so often, you'd think you'd know that the insanely small sample size on Morin as far as games and minutes skews the data like hell.

Brookbank starts playing 15 to 18 a night, that's a problem.

Furthermore, I've stated many many times that I would prefer Morin in Bollig's current spot PROVIDED the fourth line wasn't given shut-down duty against other team's top lines. It's worked out well enough so far, but Kruger and 2 rookies (Smith and Bollig/Morin) is not who I want going up against the Backes line, the Kopitar line, the Getzlaf line, the Thornton line come playoff time. We need a better solution.

DontToewzMeBro

May 8, 2010
Saad-Toews-Kane
Sharp-Teravainen-Hossa
Bickell-Shaw-Versteeg
Smith-B.Boyle**-Kruger

Keith-Seabrook
Leddy-Hammer
Oduya-Rozi

Central PA Hawk Fan

Apr 16, 2007
York, PA
This isn't about Morin vs. Brookbank, its Morin vs. Bickell. When Bickell was on IR, Morin got the majority of the starts. Brookbank is the 13th forward, spot-start guy. This is clearly slot allocation.

Now that Bickell is back I don't think they want to be shuttling Morin up and down and in and out of the lineup for a 10 min a night spot -start gig when they can just use Brookbank there and the difference isn't that great in relation to the role.

cassac

Sep 19, 2013

Apparently, I can remember the lines. You can't. You proved that when you said that Hossa and Sharp are only linemates when Toews centers them. Which isn't the case.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Sharp-Toews-Hossa
Saad-Black Hole Event Horizon-Kane
Bickell-Shaw-Versteeg
Bollig-Kruger-Smith

That is a fantastic lineup boys.

I do find the "Hawks don't have to try 100% yet" opinion pretty interesting though. On one hand I really do believe they can turn it on when they need to and it's not healthy to play full on Hawks explosion hockey all 82 game season long. But on the other hand it's risky to practice obvious bad habits and hope you can fix everything when you need to.

100% or not, team D and the PK need to be better.

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Sharp-Toews-Hossa
Saad-Black Hole Event Horizon-Kane
Bickell-Shaw-Versteeg
Bollig-Kruger-Smith

That is a fantastic lineup boys.

I do find the "Hawks don't have to try 100% yet" opinion pretty interesting though. On one hand I really do believe they can turn it on when they need to and it's not healthy to play full on Hawks explosion hockey all 82 game season long. But on the other hand it's risky to practice obvious bad habits and hope you can fix everything when you need to.

100% or not, team D and the PK need to be better.

As cliche as it sounds ... it's all about peaking at the right time in an NHL schedule that goes beyond ridiculous in the workload for players (that happen to remain healthy).

Jonny gave a great example on the weekend, about how players must sometimes pick their spots with such an impossible workload at hand. He was just okay against a fired up TO team in the East, but his "refuse to lose" leadership was very apparent the next night against a Western rival; the more important game from a few different perspectives.

I reckon this team, led by the core group, has "learned" to turn it up when it is needed most.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
As cliche as it sounds ... it's all about peaking at the right time in an NHL schedule that goes beyond ridiculous in the workload for players (that happen to remain healthy).

Jonny gave a great example on the weekend, about how players must sometimes pick their spots with such an impossible workload at hand. He was just okay against a fired up TO team in the East, but his "refuse to lose" leadership was very apparent the night against a Western rival; the more important game from a few different perspectives.

I reckon this team, led by the core group, has "learned" to turn it up when it is needed most.

As much as some fans don't want to hear this, it's entirely true. And based on this team's success in recent years, they've "learned" how to do it, as you said. In complete agreement.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad