Recalled/Assigned: Morin to Rockford/Bickell off IR

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
There is merit to this argument. You need to have another gear in the playoffs. I think of the Bulls under Thibs. He demands and gets playoff type intensity from his team all season, and when they get to the playoffs not only are the Bulls players broken down but all of a sudden they are playing against teams matching their intensity. Throughout the regular season no one plays harder than the Bulls but all teams crank it up in the playoffs and its tough to adjust. You look at the Heat (who I hate) or the Spurs and they kind of coast in the regular season to make sure their players are healthy and ready for the postseason. Their talent gets them enough wins in the regular season, but if the coasting costs them a playoff seeding they don't care. When the playoffs start these teams turn it up and are healthy and ready.

I am not saying you should play half a**ed during regular season, but with the talent of the Hawks and history of the NHL playoffs home ice advantage is not a huge deal. We still play hard (maybe not playoff intensity), win our fair share, and if we get the top seed great. If not, as long as we do whatever is necessary to be healthy and ready to go in the playoffs that is all that matters. We are a great road team, I am not terribly concerned with home ice on every team. Just be healthy and ready come playoff time.

Chris Hansen

THESE LEGS ARE FRESH
Aug 17, 2007
There is merit to this argument. You need to have another gear in the playoffs. I think of the Bulls under Thibs. He demands and gets playoff type intensity from his team all season, and when they get to the playoffs not only are the Bulls players broken down but all of a sudden they are playing against teams matching their intensity. Throughout the regular season no one plays harder than the Bulls but all teams crank it up in the playoffs and its tough to adjust. You look at the Heat (who I hate) or the Spurs and they kind of coast in the regular season to make sure their players are healthy and ready for the postseason. Their talent gets them enough wins in the regular season, but if the coasting costs them a playoff seeding they don't care. When the playoffs start these teams turn it up and are healthy and ready.

I am not saying you should play half a**ed during regular season, but with the talent of the Hawks and history of the NHL playoffs home ice advantage is not a huge deal. We still play hard (maybe not playoff intensity), win our fair share, and if we get the top seed great. If not, as long as we do whatever is necessary to be healthy and ready to go in the playoffs that is all that matters. We are a great road team, I am not terribly concerned with home ice on every team. Just be healthy and ready come playoff time.

I agree, but the Bulls aren't a good example. The injuries that have plagued them haven't happened because of Thibodeau's demanding coaching style - Deng last season was a total fluke, Hinrich was an unlucky break (ruptured calf that happened early-ish in a game), Rose's meniscus this year (not due to minutes demands and happened early in the year anyway), etc.
Hell, this year Thibs was cutting down the starters' minutes and playing the bench more... but Rose, Deng, Noah, and Butler - four-fifths of the original starting lineup - have all missed significant time. It's more likely the Bulls just seem to have a "perfect" storm of terrible luck and players who are already injury prone.

As for the Hawks, I don't think there's any question they don't go as hard on certain nights. I agree it's a good thing, simply because they should be taking it a little easier sometimes after the deep run last year and extremely short summer.

EricRealm

Oct 22, 2013
Im not saying that saving it for the playoffs is bad. I'm saying Bick needs to show me something that lets me feel comfortable that guy is still there even. If he goes the rest of the season without at least showing flashes of the game we know he has then I'm looking at his point production in his last playoffs less as him "turning it on" and more of just a fluke. I know he has the tools and the size. Its his mental game and heart needs to show up starting tonight.

Chris Hansen

THESE LEGS ARE FRESH
Aug 17, 2007
Im not saying that saving it for the playoffs is bad. I'm saying Bick needs to show me something that lets me feel comfortable that guy is still there even. If he goes the rest of the season without at least showing flashes of the game we know he has then I'm looking at his point production in his last playoffs less as him "turning it on" and more of just a fluke. I know he has the tools and the size. Its his mental game and heart needs to show up starting tonight.

Bickell's been great in the playoffs for his entire career - that includes more than just last season. It wasn't a fluke.

Look no further than Byfuglien for a comparable situation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad