Morgan Rielly's rookie season, how would you grade it thus far?

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
Just wait until he lets his offensive game go which is arguably his best asset. Seeing how good he is overall is scary to think that his best asset we haven't even seen yet

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto
He's been trending up. Much better than he was to start the season, gotta think its a result of him getting what hes being coached and feeling more comfortable to showcase his ability

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
I'd give him a B or B+ personally.

He has been surprisingly good physically and defensively to me, but not as good offensively as I was expecting right out of the gate.

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario
I'd give him a B or B+ personally.

He has been surprisingly good physically and defensively to me, but not as good offensively as I was expecting right out of the gate.

I would agree. He's definitely shown flashes offensively, but honestly I was expecting a bit more knowing what he's capable of. I hope he really breaks out next season in a bigger role.

But yes he has been a surprise defensively and physically and has given me faith he truly does have number 1 D potential and not just 2-3.

Vexed

Magic Marner
Feb 4, 2011
Barrie
The kids got a high hockey IQ. Considering at the beginning of the season the coaching staff was talking about how they knew about his offensive talents and wanted to see his defensive game, I imagine that he is focusing on his defensive game, knowing that he's already better offensively than the average NHL D

kesleaf

Mar 3, 2011
A+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

absolute beast.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Over the last couple weeks he has been solid. Its amazing to see how fast a player can progress over the course of a season. He has toned down on mistakes, gained confidence and does the little things so well.

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Loved that play he did when he slid down to block the pass in front of the net. He may have gotten the wind knocked out of him, but his awareness and ability to sense danger was there. There is no way this kid will end up as a one dimensional player.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
let him put up 40 points first, nevermind 70 points.

kids going to be good but karlsson is a monster (offensively)

Karlsson is a monster offensively because he spends all his energy trying to put up points. He's one the weakest softest D in the league. He's so overrated, he's more of a rover than anything. It's embarrassing just seeing the letter D beside the name of his position because he doesn't play any D.

Bardown warrior

Oct 26, 2013
Mississauga
Karlsson is a monster offensively because he spends all his energy trying to put up points. He's one the weakest softest D in the league. He's so overrated, he's more of a rover than anything. It's embarrassing just seeing the letter D beside the name of his position because he doesn't play any D.

Wow... Karlsson is an elite player, lets not let our bias curve our judgement now

Paradoc

John Tavares is a Leaf!
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto

Sad thing is that I take him over any of our defenseman.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
I just hope they don't over coach him. You have to allow some space with him where he's able to use his natural abilities and use his hockey IQ to his advantage, will he make mistakes sure he's human after all but I really don't want to see him turn into what PK Subban has lately. He's not the same player he once was. Therrien has sucked the life out of him. He's scared to skate with the puck and make decisions now and rather dish it off or dump it in. I want him to keep improving defensively but offensively when he sees a chance go for it.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Sad thing is that I take him over any of our defenseman.

You take him over Gleason or Phaneuf? I rather someone play their actual position. If Karlsson is going to go up and down the ice all game then be a forward. He's not a good d-man at all! He's amazing with the puck and putting up points but the kid is thin as a stick and gets pushed around every single game. He's atrocious

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
You take him over Gleason or Phaneuf? I rather someone play their actual position. If Karlsson is going to go up and down the ice all game then be a forward. He's not a good d-man at all! He's amazing with the puck and putting up points but the kid is thin as a stick and gets pushed around every single game. He's atrocious

Come on, I know we all love to be homers, but you'd really take Gleason over Karlsson? Dion is more of a conversation but we're still talking about a ppg defenseman here. EK is an elite talent.

I was worried about this 3 game western swing. Rielly has stood up to every task defensively and physically this year (which is weird considering his build), but he came out with flying colours. Took hits to make plays (one setting up Dion's goal), skated the puck out of trouble, and played well defensively. Must be good for his confidence.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
I just hope they don't over coach him. You have to allow some space with him where he's able to use his natural abilities and use his hockey IQ to his advantage, will he make mistakes sure he's human after all but I really don't want to see him turn into what PK Subban has lately. He's not the same player he once was. Therrien has sucked the life out of him. He's scared to skate with the puck and make decisions now and rather dish it off or dump it in. I want him to keep improving defensively but offensively when he sees a chance go for it.

Thankfully Carlyle is not Therrien.....Carlyle was an offensive D man who won the Norris.....he has helped all of our D man thus far....

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
I give him a B, he has not exceeded expectations but has just about met them.

Crazy skill-set and talent. Needs to work on his shot but he needs to take that next step still. I'm hoping he follows a Doughty-type trajectory.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory

I would take him over Gleason and Dion in a heart beat!

mikebel111*

This kid is special. Will be a star. Exciting to see him skate yesterday

dominicmoore19

Jun 8, 2010
Anyone saying Rielly has been poor defensively really needs to give their head a shake. No he's not perfect in the defensive end, but he takes the body, blocks shots, breaks up passes and doesn't try to make fancy plays on the breakout. He's been steady and I really don't worry about him unlike the Gardiners and Fransons. One thing is I'd really like to see him put more shots through.

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario

Are you kidding me? I'd easily take Karlsson over Gleason. Phaneuf probably not(it'd be one to think about), but Gleason easily.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
I'd take Karlsson over every D-man on the leafs, don't be crazy guys. He's bad defensively but he's so dynamic offensively that you can mitigate that with partners etc.

bursilym

Jan 9, 2014
Would you say he is a type of talent to go 1st overall? I remember Burke saying something like he would pick rielly 1st overall if he had the pick.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $9,251.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Torino vs Bologna
    Torino vs Bologna
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $1,430.00