Speculation: Morgan Rielly (Reporting to Marlies march 20th!) 2nd Star in Debut

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
I was surprised at the strength numbers from the combine. Rielly was one of the stronger ones but really all of them were pretty bad.

I remember working out with DeBrusk when he was a 17 y/o and that kid was a stud (300+ bench press)

Rielly was a Gym rat and not only because of his injury.....he lived in the gym in Grade 9 and 10 at Notre Dame. I'm sure that nothing much has change since then.

Kid is strong as he does not have a large frame.

Ash35

Jan 29, 2010
I agree with u on alot of things, but this one I don't at all.

carlyle said after bolts game, kadri was never bad defensively, even in junior, and ahl, plus nhl
he just needed some coaching on when to use high risk, high reward plays
he needed help on decision making, and that is alot better now
I'm not sure why you say he was below average defensively.
ofcourse this is not me knocking eakins
that in ahl, he needed coaching as well, and now is much improved

Anyone who says Kardi is below average defensively isn't paying attention.

Mar 12, 2009
what happened? It looks like they took away his goal and assist from his first game. I was looking at last nights stats and he got a goal, but it now says he has 1 goal in 2 games instead of 2 goals and 1 assist.

CanadasTeam

Nov 9, 2009
Tarrana
Kyle Cicerella ‏@KyleTheReporter 1h
Ricoh added extra seating in press box for today's Marlies vs Heat game. Home debut for prospect Morgan Rielly after playing 5 on the road

Game starts @ 3pm, is it on leafsTV?

Nasty Nazem

Come at me Crow!
Apr 5, 2010
Canada
Kyle Cicerella ‏@KyleTheReporter 1h
Ricoh added extra seating in press box for today's Marlies vs Heat game. Home debut for prospect Morgan Rielly after playing 5 on the road

Game starts @ 3pm, is it on leafsTV?

It's on RogersTV. Channel 368/369 for me but I'm not sure if that's for everyone.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
http://www.thestar.com/sports/hocke...y_cutting_his_teeth_with_toronto_marlies.html

morgan_rielly.jpg.size.xxlarge.letterbox.jpg

Marlies defenceman Morgan Rielly tangles with the Heat's Quintin Laing during AHL action Saturday at Ricoh Coliseum.

“It’s been a great experience to join the team last week on the road,” said Rielly, who earned his first pro assist on Brad Ross’s seventh goal of the season, a tip-in off a blast from Colborne, who fired the puck from the point after Rielly fed him a crisp pass across the blue line. That goal tied the game at 1-1.

Rielly scored his first pro goal in his first game with the Marlies, a 4-3 loss to the Wolves in Chicago last Friday.

“I was a bit anxious going into that (first) game,” he said. “I didn’t know what to expect. Junior hockey players don’t understand the jump from there to the pros until they actually do it. It is quite a change of pace, but I think I’ve adjusted to it well.

“Every player can skate well and play at a high end pace as opposed to junior. But it’s a cool challenge.”

Rielly, Toronto’s first-round pick (fifth overall in 2012 draft), attended the Leafs’ training camp in January and there had been talk about him playing a few regular-season games with the big club.

But it was decided his development would be better served by letting him continue the season with his junior team in Moose Jaw after skating for Team Canada at the world junior championships in Russia.

The six-foot, 200-pounder had an outstanding junior season, scoring 12 goals and 54 points in 60 games for the non-playoff Warriors. He was named the WHL’s Eastern Conference defenceman of the year and a first-team all-star.

More steady than flashy, it will be up to Marlies coach Dallas Eakins to groom him.

“He sees the game offensively very well, but he’s in a battle defensively because the guys are bigger, faster and stronger,” Eakins said. “I know he was our No. 5 pick in the draft but for me he’s just another prospect who we’ll put on slow bake and not rush.”

Eakins said the main thing for Rielly’s development is simply to play a lot of hockey. In his six games with the Marlies, he’s been partnered with Korbinian Holzer and has also been used on the power play.

Jul 10, 2003
KW
Rielly was a Gym rat and not only because of his injury.....he lived in the gym in Grade 9 and 10 at Notre Dame. I'm sure that nothing much has change since then.

Kid is strong as he does not have a large frame.

I have to disagree, mostly from watching Behind The Draft...he's a broad shouldered kid, and his father has a large frame too, so does his brother (i think it's his brother on BTD)...you gotta have a pretty decent frame to be up to 200lbs when your just 18 and 6' tall.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Is there any chance Gary Roberts takes Rielly for summer training?

I doubt he needs it.

Morgan Rielly is a total gym freak...and his lower body strength is great. One of the many reasons why he's such a great skater.

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
I doubt he needs it.

Morgan Rielly is a total gym freak...and his lower body strength is great. One of the many reasons why he's such a great skater.

He also teaches proper eating, builds good habits and has a focus training program specific for each player. I really do believe Rielly would get a lot out of it but I am not sure if Roberts will take a kid so young.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Is there any chance Gary Roberts takes Rielly for summer training?

I think MLSE should just open that phat wallet and get Roberts as our precious.

Keep em away from other teams players )))) muahahaha.:naughty:

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
I have to disagree, mostly from watching Behind The Draft...he's a broad shouldered kid, and his father has a large frame too, so does his brother (i think it's his brother on BTD)...you gotta have a pretty decent frame to be up to 200lbs when your just 18 and 6' tall.

I know him real well and he does not have a large frame....his older brother is more like his dad and Morgan takes after his mother more. Morgan will not play at a much higher weight than he is now.

He is very strong and muscle mass weights a lot more than fat.....this is a kid that lives in the gym...

Here is a pic that will show you that he is not a large frame person.
6798621.jpg

As for Morgan attending the Gym with Roberts, if he wanted to why not, but Morgan is among the most dedicated young players I have ever seen and he understands what it is going to take to get him to the next level.

The Magic Man

With God given hands
Sep 1, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
I know him real well and he does not have a large frame....his older brother is more like his dad and Morgan takes after his mother more. Morgan will not play at a much higher weight than he is now.

He is very strong and muscle mass weights a lot more than fat.....this is a kid that lives in the gym...

Here is a pic that will show you that he is not a large frame person.
6798621.jpg

As for Morgan attending the Gym with Roberts, if he wanted to why not, but Morgan is among the most dedicated young players I have ever seen and he understands what it is going to take to get him to the next level.

A stance like that shrugs your shoulders. It will make you look thinner. 6' 200lbs lean is big. If he is that lean.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad