Morgan Rielly Player Discussion 2015-2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
That would probably be me that you are referring to. I have always said his wrister was decent, but his slap shot is still non existent/beer league caliber. I am sure if he works on it, he can develop a solid one.

My problem with Rielly has always been his defensive play. I would definitely try and trade Kadri or JVR in the off season and target Trouba. Alternatively, Chychrun could possibly be a great fit.
Trouba has regressed and is looking for big money. I'd rather just draft/develop a guy.

The Beyonder

Jan 16, 2007
I am massively against giving Rielly the C; not because I don't think he's good enough, but lets not put pressure on this kid by putting the C on him. In my opinion, the Captain of a team will show themselves. I think Rielly has captain or alternate potential. But if Rielly is going to be named captain, I think he should be named as such until he's 25 years old. Let him develop without the weight of the C on his jersey.

Deez Nuts

Jun 4, 2012
Trouba has regressed and is looking for big money. I'd rather just draft/develop a guy.

I would prefer an established young player to pair with him. That way he doesn't have to worry about covering for a someone less developed than him, and he can have free reign. Plus, considering defence is not one of his strengths at this current point of time, pairing him with a young rookie or recent draftee will probably be an issue defensively, depending on the player.

I have seen many say Trouba has regressed. Can you please explain further? I know his point totals have dropped since Myers showed up and is not getting the same PP minutes. However, if the rumours are true and he is really looking for 6.5mil per year, you can scrap that idea.

Larcos_Unal

Excuses are for losers
Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
Man if Morgan improved his shot strength and accuracy by 10% this offseason he'd be a beast...seems to be the only thing really missing right now.

Exquisite

Feb 9, 2016
He would be an ideal partner but I would be surprised if FLA gave him up. A lower profile name that I think might be a good fit and won't cost an arm and a leg would be Chris Tanev - a local boy who is right handed.

An ideal partner for Tanev will be local boy Rielly. Will cost an arm and leg but we'll manage.

Bring Rielly home...?

Is he the front runner for captaincy? Very young and a #1 dmen has the most responsibility already but I don't see anyone else unless you're willing to go a few years until Matthews can handle it.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Rielly is playing out of his mind....his reads are fantastic. We have our selfs a legit #1 ....

36th in NHL D scoring. Improving every day on both sides of the puck.

If he had PP time before February, he's likely in the 40-45 point range and competing for the top 10 in D scoring.

Leafed

Jan 28, 2009
Can we settle down about Zaitsev? I doubt anyone's watched him play. I haven't.

The KHL doesn't = NHL. He could very well start next season with the Marlies

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Can we settle down about Zaitsev? I doubt anyone's watched him play. I haven't.

The KHL doesn't = NHL. He could very well start next season with the Marlies

I have seen him play a couple game and yes people should temper their expctations. Not because he isn't that good, but because, as you stated, the jump to the nhl, especially as a defensman, is very tricky.
That said I don't think he would be on the marlies, but not top 4 to start he season either.

The Thin White Duke

Aug 11, 2009
Sure we can't say how Zaitsevs defensive game will adjust to the NHL, but its not like the jump will affect his great point shot or his right handedness. Worst case scenario, he'll be the Mccabe to Riellys Kaberle on the PP. ES depends on his physical game not disappearing against bigger players, although he may be better off being 'the guy' on his own pairing.

SnazzyNazzy

Oct 20, 2012
Waterloo
Just flying last night! Such a tireless skater and seems like hes finding those spots to rip pucks on net more... Seems like. He's a horse.

Macallan18

Aug 10, 2015
Rielly - Marincin
Gardiner - Carrick
Harrington - Zaitsev

Is a better pairing considering the synergy Gardiner and Rielly has with their partners.

yes, I think this is right (apart from Harrington being a lock). And remember, IF we get Zaitsev and he starts in the nhl (and I'm sure that would be a condition of him coming here) you would want to limit his minutes initially and shelter him.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
I give him a long term deal. The kid is amazing. Go 7x5.25 or 8x5.75 and see if he signs. His game is improve incredibly. Just needs to work on his slapshot this offseason. His wrister is great, but he could work on his clapper.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad