Tribute Morgan Rielly Appreciation

willmma

Jan 5, 2017
Morgan isn't getting enough love. I checked and couldn't find a tribute thread for him.

He is the player that Bolt fans hate the most. He is a beast in this series.

I remember he got a lot of hate when he got injured and the leafs went on a run winning games.

Now when it counts most he is killing it, for that I am paying tribute to Morgan Rielly.

Reactions: Duffman955

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Doing really well this series. Glad to have him back after a pretty lackluster regular season.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
BUMP

Given the atrocious contacts for the so called core 4

Morgan Rielly for CAPTAIN!

We need a player with "C" on his jersey that brings it; has shown character and desire to win by taking less and committing long term.

Rielly's contract structure not fully front loaded either i.e. NOT MONEY HUNGRY

1704759220691.png

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
Mo riles the only one who wasbt a greedy bastard

Nurse, Hamilton, Werenski, Jones all maje 9M

Rielly took 7.5M. 1.5-2M less than his comparables
They were not his comparables his comparable was josh Morrisey not any you named above at the time rielly just started to come into his own he was behind all the above names but he should be the captain none the less he still Carries himself like a captain should

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Rielly 4 years prior to his signing (2018-2021) = 186 pts in 260 games or 0.71 ppg

Hamilton 4 years prior to signing (2018 to 2021) = 165 pts in 266 games or 0.62 ppg

Werenski 4 years prior to his signing(2019 to 2022) = 153 pts in 248 games or 0.62 ppg

Seth Jones 4 years prior to his signing (2019 to 2022) = 155 pts in 265 games or 0.58 ppg

Nurse 4 years prior to his signing (2019 to 2022) = 145 pts in 280 games or 0.52 ppg

Rielly was already broken out prior to his contract signing. He was a high end offensive producing defender who had a lot of questionable defensive plays

Hamilton made simular mistakes, Jones had issues with high usage and having to try to be an elite shut down two way D, werenski was injury prone and nit great defensively. Nurse got overpaid those most, had the worat transition, offense and defense of all these guys

Rielly coming at 7.5M while those guys got 9M, 9.5M, 9.25M and 9.58M

• Haha
Reactions: arso40

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
Rielly 4 years prior to his signing (2018-2021) = 186 pts in 260 games or 0.71 ppg

Hamilton 4 years prior to signing (2018 to 2021) = 165 pts in 266 games or 0.62 ppg

Werenski 4 years prior to his signing(2019 to 2022) = 153 pts in 248 games or 0.62 ppg

Seth Jones 4 years prior to his signing (2019 to 2022) = 155 pts in 265 games or 0.58 ppg

Nurse 4 years prior to his signing (2019 to 2022) = 145 pts in 280 games or 0.52 ppg

Rielly was already broken out prior to his contract signing. He was a high end offensive producing defender who had a lot of questionable defensive plays

Hamilton made simular mistakes, Jones had issues with high usage and having to try to be an elite shut down two way D, werenski was injury prone and nit great defensively. Nurse got overpaid those most, had the worat transition, offense and defense of all these guys

Rielly coming at 7.5M while those guys got 9M, 9.5M, 9.25M and 9.58M
Numbers don’t tell the whole story marner this season is a perfect example that’s what rielly does is get points he plays against the top competition this year prior to this Season that job was left to muzzin and or Brodie when he’s not on the same pair all those you name were playing the other teams best players not secondary matchups

Budz

Jan 28, 2013
Damn right - I have been extremely critical of his play in the past. He has been outstanding this year. Now with seeing what our other stars did, what he did with his contract - much respect.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Numbers don’t tell the whole story marner this season is a perfect example that’s what rielly does is get points he plays against the top competition this year prior to this Season that job was left to muzzin and or Brodie when he’s not on the same pair all those you name were playing the other teams best players not secondary matchups
Hamilton was behind Slavin and maybe Pesce

Jones and Werenski both played top roles I guess but neither was elite defensively or shut down guy. Jackets had David Savard do that for a while

Nurse was behind Klefbom and Larsson. He also sucks in the main role as shutdown D

Rielly didn't chase every last dollar like the forwards have is what I am saving. He could have pressured for more but took a boat load of money while having a deal he can still live up to

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
BUMP

Given the atrocious contacts for the so called core 4

Morgan Rielly for CAPTAIN!

We need a player with "C" on his jersey that brings it; has shown character and desire to win by taking less and committing long term.

Rielly's contract structure not fully front loaded either i.e. NOT MONEY HUNGRY

View attachment 798977

Rielly has to be one of the most likeable players for sure. I'm trying so hard to like the 3 greedmigos because of their talent, but...

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Not sure he would have been a major candidate for the captaincy previously since he didn't have that much term left on his contract in comparison to Tavares. Now, I can't imagine why he shouldn't be the team's next captain (whenever that need may arise).

Reactions: studebaker17

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
Hamilton was behind Slavin and maybe Pesce

Jones and Werenski both played top roles I guess but neither was elite defensively or shut down guy. Jackets had David Savard do that for a while

Nurse was behind Klefbom and Larsson. He also sucks in the main role as shutdown D

Rielly didn't chase every last dollar like the forwards have is what I am saving. He could have pressured for more but took a boat load of money while having a deal he can still live up to
Jones wasn’t elite defensively ?that was the top pair that played against Matthews in the play in, you realize Slavin and Hamilton was a d pair right ?pesce was second pair but your right rielly could have gotten 500k - a mil more great guy really from what I can see

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
Almost looks out of place on this team considering how unselfish he is.

Took a proper discount for the team, showed loyalty with his term, and didn't even take the full NMC in those final two years. The same player would have got 9+ on the open market.

On top of this, he shows up big-time in the playoffs and is a great person (on and off the ice).

The only guy on this team I will defend to the end and I hope he becomes captain too.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto

Took a proper discount for the team, showed loyalty with his term, and didn't even take the full NMC in those final two years. The same player would have got 9+ on the open market.

On top of this, he shows up big-time in the playoffs and is a great person (on and off the ice).

The only guy on this team I will defend to the end and I hope he becomes captain too.
Pretty much all of this.

Well said. :thumbu:

arso40

Jun 7, 2022

Not long ago he wasn’t worth his contract either and ppl wanted to trade him cause he wasnt a hedman type #1 but i agree amazing person

Clyde Brewer

Oct 15, 2021
I was critical of his performance during last year's regular season, but man oh man did he step up in the playoffs.

He was always a point producer and great skater, but he's still rounding out his game and showing much more responsibility in the defensive zone.

He's a beauty and we're very lucky to have him at his current price.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
I love you, Morgan. My favourite Leaf ever since he donned the jersey. Look forward to having him do so for many more years still to come.

Maybe, hopefully, sporting the 'C' one day, too.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Should've been made captain back in 2019
He was my pick for captain before Tavares was named. Not a popular one at the time but mine nonetheless. Part of my thinking was rewarding the longest serving Maple Leaf but also given the heft of the big contracts, perhaps putting that carrot out as a sign of respect with the hope maybe it influences him to take less. Typical Mo, he didn't even need that.

"
Sep 10, 2019

I still wonder if it's him or Matthews that gets named captain.
Nothing against either but I am pulling for Rielly."

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad