News Article: Morgan: Game Plan for Andrew Barroway

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Not much meat there. Burke jumping to hockey ops would probably only go over well with a new GM and coach.

Barroway arrived back in town earlier this week and has rolled up his sleeves as he begins his evaluation of every aspect of the organization. He has hired an independent firm to examine the business side of the team as the Coyotes begin laying the groundwork for a long overdue long-term plan.

The most interesting part. I hope they finally find some marketers worth a damn.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Not much meat there. Burke jumping to hockey ops would probably only go over well with a new GM and coach.

The most interesting part. I hope they finally find some marketers worth a damn.

Burke is Assistant GM already. Needs more responsibility or he will go elsewhere.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Corey Hirsch is a former goalie coach and IIRC he lives in the Valley. Could make a nice replacement for Burke if his role changes or if he moves elsewhere.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Burke is Assistant GM already. Needs more responsibility or he will go elsewhere.

He is an assistant to the GM, which is different. It'd be like a guy coming in off the street, who starts in your mail room, only to be made essentially president of your division shortly thereafter. It just wouldn't function very well with Tippett and Maloney, I think. It's not a reflection on those three guys, just the power dynamic.

If you look at what Shanny is doing in Toronto... those are hard decisions. He has a lot of authority. Burke would need that here.

KG

Sep 23, 2010
The fact that the Coyotes haven't had competent marketing is a damn travesty. How can you have a professional sports franchise have basically the same marketing as a local mom and pop shop (minus the FSAZ spots?). It boggles the mind. If I'm in charge, that's a top priority.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
The fact that the Coyotes haven't had competent marketing is a damn travesty. How can you have a professional sports franchise have basically the same marketing as a local mom and pop shop (minus the FSAZ spots?). It boggles the mind. If I'm in charge, that's a top priority.

First they need a product to sell. This team isn't really marketable as it presently plays.

letowskie

Aug 16, 2002
In your worst nighmare
Visit site
I'm thinking that they know this is going to be more than just a transient event of being able to bounce right back next season. So in that vein, I agree with the Doan sentiment; if he so desires, we should explore sending him to a contender that would give him a good shot before he hangs it up soon. He obviously will be brought back for some long term capacity in the organization.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Morgan is the first to publicly say that Doan should be approached. Give it another 20 games of soul sucking hockey, and I think Shane will be ready to move on to any contender that can accommodate his salary.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
He obviously will be brought back for some long term capacity in the organization.

Doan seems to have so much knowledge about other players and the league in general. Strikes me as a future GM. Perhaps when he's done on the ice, he'll join the Coyotes as a pro scout/director of pro scouting/assistant GM.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Doan seems to have so much knowledge about other players and the league in general. Strikes me as a future GM. Perhaps when he's done on the ice, he'll join the Coyotes as a pro scout/director of pro scouting/assistant GM.

Doan would be a great president of hockey ops.

letowskie

Aug 16, 2002
In your worst nighmare
Visit site
Morgan is the first to publicly say that Doan should be approached. Give it another 20 games of soul sucking hockey, and I think Shane will be ready to move on to any contender that can accommodate his salary.

Yeah, it does seem that Doan deserve a better home for the final couple of seasons of his storied career; and far be it for us to prevent him from sipping from Lord Stanley.

Even if we have to retain some, we should still explore it, and possibly getting back some very useful asset in the rebuild.

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
Man, if I was Doan, I'd demand a trade. Shoot, we are just that much worse without him - and we could probably get a pretty good return for him. He's getting up there in age, but he's still a horse. We don't need anything huge - just SOMETHING. That's what I want with these guys that aren't going to be around next year. We need to get something for them, better than letting them walk.

I meant that him demanding a trade would be the best interest of the organization, an organization he will be a part of soon after he retires.

KG

Sep 23, 2010
Man, if I was Doan, I'd demand a trade. Shoot, we are just that much worse without him - and we could probably get a pretty good return for him. He's getting up there in age, but he's still a horse. We don't need anything huge - just SOMETHING. That's what I want with these guys that aren't going to be around next year. We need to get something for them, better than letting them walk.

I meant that him demanding a trade would be the best interest of the organization, an organization he will be a part of soon after he retires.

I strongly doubt he will demand a trade. If he chooses to leave, which is a big if, imo, considering his family loves it here, he will quietly ask for a trade and then we will probably move him for a nice sum at a deadline.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
If Doaner wants a trade, he'll get one. But if he wants to stay, he stays. In which case I just hope that we can at least get to fighting weight for the Grail before its all over for him as a player.

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
If Doaner wants a trade, he'll get one. But if he wants to stay, he stays. In which case I just hope that we can at least get to fighting weight for the Grail before its all over for him as a player.

In a couple years we could be. I probably shouldn't have mentioned "demand". Next year is his last of his contract, so he'd only be 1 year away from Phoenix(well, 1 1/2). We could probably find a buyer close to home. I just figured, he has stuck it out this long in Phoenix, and he knows this team isn't a contender, not sure if they will be by the time he retires. He could help the organization out by getting a trade somewhere, and we suck even more this year and lose more games. Maybe I'm too into the tank to think about this clearly.

We all know Doan will come back to Arizona, and after he retires there will be a position for him in the organisation without question. I'd be really happy if he went somewhere to have a few years at a chance at a cup if possible. He doesn't need to prove anything else here in the Desert. We have the owners that want the team to stay, he's the man of the franchise for life. No need to drag him along with us at this point.

Thor Savage

Oct 3, 2006
Arizona
I just can't imagine Doan leaving. I think it's more likely that he will continue to sign 1 year contracts until he retires. But I imagine he will have to drop some weight so he can keep up with or at least not lose any speed. You see offensive linemen in the NFL extend their careers by dropping weight to maintain speed. He can probably be an effective 3rd or 4th liner for a few more years.

KG

Sep 23, 2010
I just can't imagine Doan leaving. I think it's more likely that he will continue to sign 1 year contracts until he retires. But I imagine he will have to drop some weight so he can keep up with or at least not lose any speed. You see offensive linemen in the NFL extend their careers by dropping weight to maintain speed. He can probably be an effective 3rd or 4th liner for a few more years.

He's still a good passer and a good shooter, he's just slow as molasses to maintain position for anything. Also still pretty beast on board battles.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto

If his body holds up, I could see Doan doing a series of 1-year deals, after thsi contract is up, ala Teemu Selanne.

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
If his body holds up, I could see Doan doing a series of 1-year deals, after thsi contract is up, ala Teemu Selanne.

I know it's still a year and a half away, but right now I would not want to be on the opposite side of the ice in regards to Shane Doan. Playoffs are a different beast, and Doan still makes you remember his name.

cobra427

May 6, 2012

I agree, not much there, nothing we don't already know hockey wise. Burke won't be in a spot above DM/Tip. I don't think that position gets filled. Barroway will want to be hands on with DM, no need for a middle man or the expense.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
True, but even when the team was making the playoffs, marketing was lacking.

We didn't have an owner to assist with resources for marketing. Hard pill to swallow when the team is at its peak of success.

I agree, not much there, nothing we don't already know hockey wise. Burke won't be in a spot above DM/Tip. I don't think that position gets filled. Barroway will want to be hands on with DM, no need for a middle man or the expense.

Having someone with a pulse on the team (especially a former coach) may not be a bad thing. Especially depends on how involved Burke would be. Does he work with or get involved with analytics in reporting between ownership, coach, and GM? Could be valuable to have that.

I truly believe that we are not necessarily choosing option A in Craig's report. It may be closer to option B where we retool by moving some of the mix. We say value is high on expiring contracts and certain players so that we can get assets in our deals. Once we make or don't make a certain trade, that may indicate where the next deal goes. Could mean that players that weren't expected to stay remain and ones who may not be as likely go.

Puck possession wins

Jan 17, 2014
" Having someone with a pulse on the team (especially a former coach) may not be a bad thing. Especially depends on how involved Burke would be. Does he work with or get involved with analytics in reporting between ownership, coach, and GM? Could be valuable to have that."

Knowing him personally, Sean, like the rest of the franchise and NHL; is dipping into analytics to see what they can really provide for the team. Actually told me Tip uses some advanced stats, but I assume its coaching style advanced stats and not corsi as such.

Basically his job is checking out all the prospects in the organization and helping with the development of those players.

Unless GMDM gets canned, there probably won't be a President of Hockey Ops. Like XX said, Barroway is more like to be hands on/face to face with GMDM about the budget concerns.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad