News Article: Morgan: Coyotes regaining their identity

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Fire Maloney. Fire Tippett. Order Darcy to deal and Newell to develop. Hell, fire Playfair and give Derek Morris an interem associate title.

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
Fire Maloney. Fire Tippett. Order Darcy to deal and Newell to develop. Hell, fire Playfair and give Derek Morris an interem associate title.

If Derek Morris actually coaches the way Primrose Everdeen says he does in the youth leagues, here in town, I don't want him anywhere near the team. :laugh:

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
If by "regaining their identity" he means we're going back to the days of TGO without TGO, then sadly he just maybe right. :cry:

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
Fine. Where does Aucoin live? Interim. Only interim. Want Playfair gone.

Aucoin is head of player development for the Blackhawks, so I'm not sure he would give that up for just an interim gig, unless there's a decent chance he could become a permanent assistant coach. If he is willing to take an interim role, I think he would be a really good option.

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
Why do we want Blashill? Is he the hot candidate at the moment?

Yes. He's an excellent coach, and has been stuck behind Babcock in Grand Rapids, much like Yzerman and Nill were stuck behind Holland, before getting their own GM gigs once it was apparent Holland wasn't leaving any time soon.

drgregg

SLAP CHOP
Jun 7, 2012
as seen on TV
Playfair is a proven incompetent--->he is welcome to stay for the rest of the season
I don't want Regier anywhere around this team, he can get into a time machine and make it so he never came to AZ. If anyone wants to see a textbook definition of treading water look at his track record in Buffalo over the years.
Now Morris on the staff, that has the potential to get entertaining, if people thought Roy between the benches last year was wild, just imagine our former NHL player

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Why do we want Blashill? Is he the hot candidate at the moment?

Good question, considering he only has five seasons of head coaching experience - at any level. There are far better out there.

drgregg

SLAP CHOP
Jun 7, 2012
as seen on TV
Yes. He's an excellent coach, and has been stuck behind Babcock in Grand Rapids, much like Yzerman and Nill were stuck behind Holland, before getting their own GM gigs once it was apparent Holland wasn't leaving any time soon.

That would be great, but I thought Det fans thought he was just biding his time until he took over for Babcock. They could have been just wishful thinking, but they made it sound like a done deal in a main board coaching thread. I'm down with Brown being the only member of the staff we keep.

Puck possession wins

Jan 17, 2014
Good question, considering he only has five seasons of head coaching experience - at any level. There are far better out there.

Look at the development of the Wings prospects over the past few years "The Detroit Model:sarcasm:."It's only going to get better from there.

I don't mind keeping Brown, I just think there might be better developmental coaches for our young guys rather than Brown, you feel me?

Puck possession wins

Jan 17, 2014
Playfair is a proven incompetent--->I don't want Regier anywhere around this team, he can get into a time machine and make it so he never came to AZ. If anyone wants to see a textbook definition of treading water look at his track record in Buffalo over the years.

Sean Burke for GM!!!

Puck possession wins

Jan 17, 2014
Well, with that gif of him and Maloney as my only evidence he at least seems to have nerves of steel. That or he was just listening to an audiobook on that earpiece.

Knowing him personally, I think he would be a great in-house candidate for the GM position at some point. He loves evaluating the prospects in our system and his HC job. But he loves nothing more than being the goalie coach.

Personally, I hope he finds some assistant goalie coach to teach him his methods, then move to full tim front office.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Look at the development of the Wings prospects over the past few years "The Detroit Model:sarcasm:."It's only going to get better from there.

I don't mind keeping Brown, I just think there might be better developmental coaches for our young guys rather than Brown, you feel me?

I'm with you. I'd move Brown to associate. Make it clear that he's free to leave for an HC gig, but in the meantime the Coyotes would love to pay him handsomely to coach the PP and the offense.

Here's my list from a previous post:
My wishlist:
  1. John Hynes (USNTDP, WB/S Penguins)
  2. Benoit Groulx (Team Canada)
  3. Dale Hunter (London Knights, esp. if Marner is drafted)
  4. Guy Boucher (c'mon, the 1-3-1 was funny)
  5. Brent Sutter (The man that built Hanzal)
  6. Blackhawk Assistants - Mike Kitchen, Kevin Dineen (try a Q protege)
  7. Kings Assistant John Stevens (Kings wont let him go)

Puck possession wins

Jan 17, 2014
John Hynes (USNTDP, WB/S Penguins)
Benoit Groulx (Team Canada)
Dale Hunter (London Knights, esp. if Marner is drafted)
Guy Boucher (c'mon, the 1-3-1 was funny)
Brent Sutter (The man that built Hanzal)
Blackhawk Assistants - Mike Kitchen, Kevin Dineen (try a Q protege)
Kings Assistant John Stevens (Kings wont let him go)

I don't know enough about Hynes to say if I like him or not.

I read or heard somewhere, the Groulx does not want to make the NHL jump and stay with Gatineau in the Q, but the idea sounds nice.
Hunter is going to keep defensive style hockey no matter what. Even if he does develop the kids, I wouldn't be opposed to the idea.
Boucher, just no.
Sutter is interesting, but just building Hanzal isn't enough.

Kitchen I though for sure would be snagged in any of the coaching hires over the past few years, I wouldn't mind taking him. As for Dineen, never really cared for him.
Stevens i'd love, but Dean isn't gonna let him go to us, plain and simple.

I'm still madly in love with Blashill though

Puck possession wins

Jan 17, 2014
I'm with you. I'd move Brown to associate. Make it clear that he's free to leave for an HC gig, but in the meantime the Coyotes would love to pay him handsomely to coach the PP and the offense.

Here's my list from a previous post:

Would love to pay Brown the money for Associate coaching gig

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I don't know enough about Hynes to say if I like him or not.

AC stops in UMass-Lowell, Wisconsin
Six seasons as the HC of the USNTDP, one with the U17,
three WJC medals, one as HC
Penguins AHL coach since 2010, just barely missed out on the head coaching gig in Pittsburgh apparently.

Laugh at Boucher all you want, but he took the lightning to game 7 of the ECF his rookie year. Probably should have won the Jack Adams, and is well traveled and thought of.

Some reading:
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=51726

Of course, hockey is a results based business and, simply put, the results just weren’t there for the Tampa Bay Lightning over the last two years. The team’s goaltending was wildly inconsistent, and something just seemed off. With shoddy goaltending and a porous defense on the ice, Guy Boucher’s system and message just wore thin with the players. Ultimately, that resulted in his termination with the Lightning and the hiring of Jon Cooper.

Fans outside Tampa may read up on Boucher’s 1-3-1 style and cower in fear, but the reality is that said system is nowhere near as boring or terrifying as one fateful game against the Philadelphia Flyers might indicate. Calling Boucher’s style the “trap†doesn’t do it justice; the reality is that Guy is willing to take risks in all zones. With the right mix of solid players and a good goaltender, his system has the potential to produce mighty entertaining, exciting, and positive results. The issue in Tampa, for instance, was that Boucher was relying on players like Marc-Andre Bergeron and Brett Clark to do much more than they were capable of on a nightly basis.

Above and beyond Boucher’s system is his history and ability as a motivator. For a team looking to take that next step or get over a hurdle, Guy Boucher is arguably the perfect candidate. With degrees in engineering, history, and sports psychology, Boucher has used his education to get the most out of players everywhere he’s coached. Aaron Portzline of the Columbus Dispatch spoke with Derick Brassard a few years back and he outlined this beautifully.

Blue Jackets center Derick Brassard, who played under Boucher at Drummondville of the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League in 2006-07, was wowed by Boucher's motivational tactics.

"Every day was a new challenge for the players, and every player was accountable to the team," Brassard said. "I've never played for a guy like him, a guy who is capable of getting the best out of every player. He was always in your head, always keeping you energized and motivated. It was always very motivating."

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Still think that Ulf is going to be the best fit, should Tip leave.

He learned what not to do as an assistant with Gretzky.

He single-handedly (almost) ran the practices in 09-10 season prior to Tippett jumping aboard.

He can fix whatever it is that is ailing our defense (including better defense from the forwards).

It is pretty clear that he was able to get everyone to buy in to what he was doing, forwards and defense alike.

He also will not play favorites - I expect that both Henrik and Philip will have to work that much harder to earn their spot.

Puck possession wins

Jan 17, 2014
AC stops in UMass-Lowell, Wisconsin
Six seasons as the HC of the USNTDP, one with the U17,
three WJC medals, one as HC
Penguins AHL coach since 2010, just barely missed out on the head coaching gig in Pittsburgh apparently.

Laugh at Boucher all you want, but he took the lightning to game 7 of the ECF his rookie year. Probably should have won the Jack Adams, and is well traveled and thought of.

Some reading:
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=51726

Ehh, I'll take my chances with either Hunter or Kitchen

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad