More under rated players...Cam Talbot

EchoesoftheEighties

HF Oil's Unofficial Shitposter
Jan 30, 2006
Edmonton
Talbot has been Edmonton's MVP after McDavid. He's awesome. The only problem is he plays too much and I'm worried he'll tire out by playoffs.

PrinceOfPucks

Jan 4, 2016
He has actually been disgustingly bad the last few outings. Losses in 4 out of 5 games and has been pulled twice in his last 5 starts including last nights abysmal effort vs the Hawks. Did not give Edmonton a chance at all in the game.

Any Oiler fan knows he is playing way tooo much and f
Physical and mental fatigue is kicking in. Hes been a backup for most of his career and his body simply isn't use to this kind of workload.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
He has actually been disgustingly bad the last few outings. Losses in 4 out of 5 games and has been pulled twice in his last 5 starts including last nights abysmal effort vs the Hawks. Did not give Edmonton a chance at all in the game.

Physical and mental fatigue is kicking in. Hes been a backup for most of his career and his body simply isn't use to this kind of workload.
:shakehead Wow. No he hasn't.

- Pulled vs Minnesota because the team didn't show up and McLellan decided to rest him
- 2 GA on 27 shots @ Nashville, shutout loss
- 2 GA on 23 shots @ Carolina, 2-1 loss
- Shutout @ Montreal, shootout win
- Pulled vs Chicago

He had a rough first period against the Hawks, moreso due to the bye week and him missing practice the night before due to travel delays. No help in the second and then they let Brossoit play the third because the game was over.

The Oilers have scored 4 goals in the last 5 games.

Last edited:

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Remember when he was only good because of the Rangers' great defense?

Mike-Tyson-clapping-and-laughing.gif

PrinceOfPucks

Jan 4, 2016
:shakehead Wow. No he hasn't.

- Pulled vs Minnesota because the team didn't show up and McLellan decided to rest him
- 2 GA on 27 shots @ Nashville, shutout loss
- 2 GA on 23 shots @ Carolina, 2-1 loss
- Shutout @ Montreal, shootout win
- Pulled vs Chicago

He had a rough first period against the Hawks, moreso due to the bye week and him missing practice the night before due to travel delays. No help in the second and then they let Brossoit play the third because the game was over.

The Oilers have scored 4 goals in the last 5 games.

From what I gather in this is when Talbot has bad games it's due to external reasons .

And I'm sorry but getting pulled in 2 out of the last 5 starts is bad goaltending. That can't be sugar coated.
His other 3 starts doesn't Impress me. A win vs a lifeless Carolina team that managed 23 shots and a shutout vs a MTL team that has struggled to score lately and got shutout again tonight.

I'm not trying to say Talbot wasn't great this season I'm just saying he has been awful lately and its because he is overworked and he is only used to backup goalie workload

Jesus Take the Wheel

Jul 9, 2015
Edmonton
From what I gather in this is when Talbot has bad games it's due to external reasons .

And I'm sorry but getting pulled in 2 out of the last 5 starts is bad goaltending. That can't be sugar coated.
His other 3 starts doesn't Impress me. A win vs a lifeless Carolina team that managed 23 shots and a shutout vs a MTL team that has struggled to score lately and got shutout again tonight.

I'm not trying to say Talbot wasn't great this season I'm just saying he has been awful lately and its because he is overworked and he is only used to backup goalie workload

So if the Oilers play poor and Talbot doesn't stand on his head, he's been playing bad? Are you watching the games or just stat picking, because it seems your just throwing stats around

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
So if the Oilers play poor and Talbot doesn't stand on his head, he's been playing bad? Are you watching the games or just stat picking, because it seems your just throwing stats around

Same person started this gem of a thread: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=2098787

A few quotes:

I strongly disagree that they are better today...maybe if Larsson reaches his potential but today they got worse.

And signing Lucic and demers doesn't change the fact that Hall should have returned more and that this was unacceptable

Taylor Hall for nothing.

Is his drafting at least any good ??

Tough day to be an Oiler fan ??

The Lunatic Fridge

why is my name here?
Aug 20, 2008
New York
People thought i was joking when i said talbot would be a solid starter in the league when he was backing up for lundqvist.

HF Experts proven wrong once again.

PrinceOfPucks

Jan 4, 2016

I watch every game. If you read my.post I give him credit for a great season but it's very clear he is breaking down and has looked awful lately. Really bad.

Oilers are over using him big time.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
What a find hes been. Hes easily been Oilers second best player. Infact it could be argued hes actually been more important than McDavid this year, or equal to him. Hes stolen 9-10 games by himself this year

But today, thanks to shot location data you can get from NHL game sheets, we can also factor in shot quality in every situation, and use that to determine how many goals a netminder has prevented in comparison with what an average goalie would have stopped facing the same workload in terms of both volume and difficulty. That is synthesized into one stat: Corsica’s “goals saved above average.”

And when you look at GSAA, a slightly different picture of who has been the best goaltender in the league starts to emerge. Of the 37 goaltenders to play at least 1,000 minutes at 5-on-5 this season (goalies we can safely say are starters, in 1a/1b tandems, or working through injury situations), one goalie has a not-insignificant lead on the competition, and it’s not one of the three Vezina candidates discussed above.

It’s actually Cam Talbot.

For one thing, Cam Talbot leads the league in GSAA,
which I guess shouldn’t be that much of a surprise given that he’s .920 (no one talks about this, either) on a team with a, shall we say, patchwork defensive group. The only situations in which he’s given up more goals than an average goalie are 4-on-4 and 3-on-5, which are both pretty rare game states in the first place. And regardless, the impact there has been minor.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/what-we-learned-getting-a-better-look-at-the-best-goalies-in-the-nhl-145629487.html

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
People thought i was joking when i said talbot would be a solid starter in the league when he was backing up for lundqvist.

It goes both ways too. I had a Ranger fan laugh at me when I said Talbot was making things interesting in terms of who should you commit to, similarly to Luongo/Schneider in Vancouver. He's a classic late bloomer, who just seems to get better and better. I couldn't be happier with Dadbot.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013

Talbot got pulled both times because the team looked like crap and McLellan decided to give him a rest.

They lost to Carolina. You should know that, which brings me to my next point:

I watch every game. If you read my.post I give him credit for a great season but it's very clear he is breaking down and has looked awful lately. Really bad.

Stop lying. It's painfully obvious from this thread and others you've started that you just look at the box scores.

Cawz

Sep 18, 2003
Oiler fan in Calgary
Visit site

I thought quite a few people knew he would be a good starter. I seem to recall a general consensus of positivity when the Oilers traded for him. Although, he's exceeded expectations that I think most had of him. I think most Oiler fans were just hoping for stability in net, not having a season that should garner some Vezina notice.

Jesus Take the Wheel

Jul 9, 2015
Edmonton

How can you say you watch every game when it clearly evident the two times he has been pulled in the past five games has been due to poor team play, not poor goaltending

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005

I didn't think he would. That stretch in late 2015 the Rangers were just playing absolutely sick hockey. Talbot was facing mostly easy shots and the 2-3 games he got peppered in that stretch he gave up a bunch of goals. He was awful at the Isles/Rangers game I was at at NVMC and that was one of the rare games the Rangers D was getting manhandled in that 20-25 game stretch. It appears now that last season was the abberation and he may be legit. Even most GMs evidently didn't think much of him because Sather wasn't able to get much back.

Blitzago*

Dec 11, 2015

Wait, I thought you were an Oiler fan?

Bob Richards

Mr. Mojo Risin'
Feb 9, 2011
Jersey
I know they were President's Trophy winners in 14-15 but when Lundqvist went down, CamBot was the best player on the team in that stretch.

He started that run slowly but ended up doing trapeze acts to win/keep the Rangers in a lot of those games.

He was also excellent in his first season with us too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad