More on Isle's "Secret Sleeper"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brain Hemorrhage

Jan 16, 2003
Boston, MA
Courtesy of Newsday.com [ http://www.newsday.com/sports/hocke...un25,0,1156823.story?coll=ny-sports-headlines ]

<snip>
Not another goalie! "They're going to have to beat me over the head to take a goalie in the first couple of rounds," Mike Milbury said. "We've got one."
<snip>
But . . .

"We have a guy in this draft we think is going to be a quality player sooner rather than later," Milbury told reporters in a conference call Tuesday afternoon. "And it's not someone you would see at the top of anyone's list."

The team's Web site also alluded to a "sleeper" that the team is targeting in the draft. Milbury wouldn't go further with names.
<snip>
But about this sleeper: It likely isn't a European from under the watch of Islanders European scout Anders Kallur, who practically ran the previous two drafts with first-round choices of Finland's Sean Bergenheim (2002) and Sweden's Robert Nilsson (2003). Milbury acknowledged the franchise's recent history of picking Europeans "came up in our discussions this year."
<snip>
"We're hoping he arrives after 15," Milbury said of his anonymous target. "I doubt it, but we're hoping."
<snip>

I found this article sort've confusing... The Islanders are targeting a prospect who "isn't at the top of anyone's list" but they seriously "doubt" he will be there after pick 15. Yet, this player is a guy the Islanders want on the Island as-soon-as-possible? Hmm...

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Brain Hemorrhage said:

I found this article sort've confusing... The Islanders are targeting a prospect who "isn't at the top of anyone's list" but they seriously "doubt" he will be there after pick 15. Yet, this player is a guy the Islanders want on the Island as-soon-as-possible? Hmm...

I find it easy to interpret (but I do not mean that I am 100% certain my interpretation is the correct one):

Milbury has a guy he thinks is a top 5-7 (I'm throwing this figure here. Hopefully this gives you an idea) pick in this draft. A guy who is a *real* great player.

But he does not think most people have him at the top (top 5-7) of their lists. Few people think as highly of him.

Milbury does think however that since they draft much later than (say) 5-7, the guy may be gone at 15. Probably by dumb luck because it is very possible that the team drafting him won't even think as highly of him as he does.

This is the interpretation I get and I must say that, having participated in several fantasy drafts, I know this feeling. I think many GMs (and anyone who participates in any draft for that matter) are like that. We see things in players sometimes that nobody else sees. Now, what we see ain't always the reality down the line but at the time, it's a huge thrill and you hope you can get that player who is special in your eyes.

I just think Milbury was more outspoken but he is not alone. Lots of GMs have a few guys they are much higher on than most other GMs.

Postman

Feb 27, 2002
Very intriguing to all us Isles fans, this is.

The bit about it being a European, where do they get the idea it likely won't be? If it isn't, then I guess that rules out the likes of Korpikoski and Radulov. Perhaps then it's one of Wolski or Schremp like the article mentions?

Either way, I agree, the whole "sleeper" talk and then "he likely won't be there after the top 15 picks" is a little contradicting. But as Vlad mentions, it does make a little sense at the same time.

I guess we'll just have to find out tomorrow, but I certainly would love to see Schremp in an Isles jersey.

Brain Hemorrhage

Jan 16, 2003
Boston, MA
The Islanders have been following Kyle Chipchura around a lot because of fellow Prince Albert Raider Jeremy Colliton being Islander property.

This is the one player who seems to fit your description the most, Vlad. He was considered at one point the North American #1 Skater. It is very possible the Islanders agreed with CSB at mid-rankings, and have stuck with the feeling he is a top player since then. This fits in very well with the Mike Milbury mantra of "once he has made up his mind about a player, it's nearly impossible for him to change it." Indeed, it is very possible Mike got high on Chipchura early on and ever since has been lusting to take him, regardless of what the second half of Chipchura's season was like.

The fact that the Islander's scouting staff feels this player can come in and play sooner rather than later suggests Chipchura as well, because his game doesn't have many holes and he has the size to step-in and play the NHL game.

Another thing that points toward Chipchura but also maybe another player: The Islanders have also mentioned they want a player who can "compete" -- which had many Islanders fans thinking it was Lauri Korpikoski. Indeed, Lauri may be the second most likely skater to be the sleeper the Islanders are interested in. His work ethic is one of the major reasons his stock has exploded from nowhere to potential top 15 pick. The connection between Sean Bergenheim (NYI 2002 1st) and Lauri Korpikoski is worth noting; both have hard-working fast-skating identifiers.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Prucha73 said:
Stafford maybe?

That's a possibility IMO, although he's pretty highly regarded and is a possible top ten selection. I doubt it's Schremp since he's pretty high profile. Milbury's description would seem to fit a guy like Adam Pineault, but I don't think anyone will take him top fifteen.

West

Mar 7, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Leafaholix said:
Another possibility... Chad Painchaud.

Yips!!!

He's one of my favorites in this draft and even I don't think I'd take him at 15.

How about Wes O'Neill or AJ Thelen to throw anyother two of my favorites names in a hat.

timlap

Jun 19, 2002
Dennis Parshin!! - Just kidding. :)

I'll bet one dollar he's talking about Mike Green.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Maybe it's Dave Bolland? He's supposedly been rising, although I think mid first round is a good spot for him anyways.

:dunno:

Peter

Mar 1, 2002
Alberta
Visit site
timlap said:
Dennis Parshin!! - Just kidding. :)

I'll bet one dollar he's talking about Mike Green.

Chipchura is a good bet as many people pick him to be a sure-fire NHL player - but there is some disagreement on whether he will be a 2nd line forward or a 4th line mucking/checking forward.

Another good guess might be Bolland - again, lot so disagreement on where his value is. On one hand you have Sather hinting to the media he is a good bet to be taken with their pick #6 overall yet you have many "experts" predicing him to go in the low 20's.

And finally other good guess would be Green or O'Neil.

But personally, I think it will be Wolski.

I_r_1337

Jun 10, 2003
Washington D.C.
Visit site
I've been thinking..

-Not European
-Not at the top of anyones list
-Potential top 5 talent

Travis Zajac!

Had he played in the CHL he may be a top 5 or 10 pick depending on how he does stepping to the next level and MMM thinks he can step up to the next level(NCAA) and still be as effective.

TrampsLikeUs

Apr 13, 2004
Hohoq
www.garnetdonkey.com
I_r_1337 said:
I've been thinking..

-Not European
-Potential top 5 talent

Travis Zajac!

Had he played in the CHL he may be a top 5 or 10 pick depending on how he does stepping to the next level and MMM thinks he can step up to the next level(NCAA) and still be as effective.

I agree. That's who I've been thinking of, along with Schremp, as soon as I heard about the "mystery player."

Brain Hemorrhage

Jan 16, 2003
Boston, MA
I_r_1337 said:
I've been thinking..

-Not European
-Potential top 5 talent

Travis Zajac!

That's a really good guess. Someone on the Islanders board said that the Islanders interviewed Zajac for a loooooooong time before letting him go. Zajac may not be the player the Islanders want, but it sure sounds like he would be one of their "favorite second choices." One thing going against the idea it's Zajac is Milbury sounds like he's willing to give this kid a pro contract this year (probably next year) if he has an impressive enough training camp.

timlap

Jun 19, 2002
JNRhockeyGURU said:
so if your wrong, you have to give everyone on HFBoards 1 dollar haha

Actually you'll have to split the one dollar between all of you. Just send me a self addressed stamped envelope . . . :D

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Behn Wilson said:
It doesnt matter who Milbury picks. He will trade him away before he has a chance to develop anyways.

salary cap+Yashin's huge contract+tight budget=a team that has no other choice but to hold onto and develop their cheap kids.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
ginner said:
I agree that Green is a pretty good bet to go a lot higher than projected.

I don't think it's Green.
F.Rizzo's writing predraft articles for the isles website.He wrote that Green should go in the 2nd round.It kind of makes sense that Rizzo will have been picking the brains of nyi scouts for these articles.

SeLaine

May 26, 2004
It's got to be Chipchura , Schremp, Wolski or Meszaros(even though he's European) These are the 3 guys who fit the description. I thought Zajac but he wouldn't be able to step in right away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad