More NHL Teams Should Move AHL Club Close

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Not sure why Nashville would move to Memphis when they have a proven affiliate in Milwaukee which is closer to Chicago and Minnesota and provides more flight opportunities than Memphis.

Because Memphis is in Tennessee...

It gives a good opportunity to spread the game across the state and is a 3-hour drive away.

Hurricane Ron

Jul 23, 2015
Tulsa
Because Memphis is in Tennessee...

It gives a good opportunity to spread the game across the state and is a 3-hour drive away.

Memphis already has a hockey team in the SPHL, the Mississippi River Kings, who play just south of Memphis in Southaven, MS.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Won't claim insider knowledge, but at least from what I've heard Nashville is pretty pleased with their relationship with Milwaukee. I'd be pretty surprised if they tried to switch affiliations.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
Won't claim insider knowledge, but at least from what I've heard Nashville is pretty pleased with their relationship with Milwaukee. I'd be pretty surprised if they tried to switch affiliations.

The teams keep signing 2 year agreements. The affiliation started with Nashville in 1998, so it is about 20 years old. As a Milwaukee fan, I am happy about 90% of the time. That is about as good as it gets in minor league hockey.

Hurricane Ron

Jul 23, 2015
Tulsa
Will be interesting to see if this trend continues, with AAA team close to the NHL team, if there will be more AAA leagues, instead of just the AHL. Years ago, WHL, CHL and AHL were all AAA leagues. While there is some benefit in just having one league, there is also the current situation with some teams playing less games than others. Guess time will tell.

Tommy Hawk

May 27, 2006
I think that each NHL team should have their AHL affiliate operate in the same city and arena. Al the NHL season ticket holders will automatically be AHL season ticket holders. There will be no individual AHL season tickets. All the AHL sweaters will be the exact same as the NHL sweaters and the teams will also use the same name as the NHL teams.

Just sayin.....

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
I think that each NHL team should have their AHL affiliate operate in the same city and arena. Al the NHL season ticket holders will automatically be AHL season ticket holders. There will be no individual AHL season tickets. All the AHL sweaters will be the exact same as the NHL sweaters and the teams will also use the same name as the NHL teams.

Just sayin.....

I have a better idea. Just have the AHL team travel with the NHL team because you never know when you will need an emergency call up. They play all of their games late afternoon at the NHL team's practice rink. No need for fans or marketing departments and no need to sign high priced AHL vets because it's about development not winning.

Yes I'm being facetious not I'm sure that there are a couple NHL executives that would think this is a good idea.

Tommy Hawk

May 27, 2006
I have a better idea. Just have the AHL team travel with the NHL team because you never know when you will need an emergency call up. They play all of their games late afternoon at the NHL team's practice rink. No need for fans or marketing departments and no need to sign high priced AHL vets because it's about development not winning.

Yes I'm being facetious not I'm sure that there are a couple NHL executives that would think this is a good idea.

What a great idea!!! Sign me up!!! :sarcasm:

crimsonace

Mar 7, 2010
Indianapolis, IN
The teams keep signing 2 year agreements. The affiliation started with Nashville in 1998, so it is about 20 years old. As a Milwaukee fan, I am happy about 90% of the time. That is about as good as it gets in minor league hockey.

One thing about Milwaukee ... it's a big city with an international airport that would have flights to most NHL cities (or it's a 90-minute drive to O'Hare, which has direct flights to everywhere). Not only that, but it's a short (<6 hours) drive to half of Nashville's division. That means a lot more than having a team, say, in Memphis. Milwaukee is in a great location even though it's not located physically close to Nashville.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere

You just made a great case though. That's why the AHL is what it is today and it hurts the product. Its only a place to have some bodies, the team isn't important. Maybe what should be done with the rest of the contracted players is what they do in the NFL. Have a practice squad. They always say you practice a lot harder than you play the games. Have the contracted players who would otherwise be on AHL teams just be on a permanent practice squad on your practice rink. That way they can Make The AHL Great Again with teams being filled with the purpose of winning over true development.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad