More Likely: Vegas VGK make Playoffs or 3rd consecutive Cup for Pens?

What's more likely

• Golden Knights First Season, First Playoffs

Votes: 20 27.4%
  • Pens Three-Peat

Votes: 53 72.6%

• Total voters

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Vegas making the playoffs.

Pens are heading into this season with the best odds, but winning the cup is still an exceptionally hard task. All it takes to lose a playoff series is a bad bounce (and they'd need to win 4 series). All it takes for Vegas to make the playoffs is a couple players stepping up.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Pens 3peat.

That Vegas roster is so...bleh. I don't think they even have good enough grit to will their way to a playoff spot.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Penguins are the favourites this year, probably have at least 20% chance of winning
Vegas' roster looks to be one of the worst in a long time, it'd be pretty hard to make it
Penguins more likely IMO

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Penguins are the favourites this year, probably have at least 20% chance of winning
Vegas' roster looks to be one of the worst in a long time, it'd be pretty hard to make it
Penguins more likely IMO

I'd say Pens are more like 10% favorites. But i'd still pick them.
Vegas looks bad

Reactions: IceNeophyte

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
Fleury has dragged a banged up Penguins team kicking and screaming into the playoffs before.

Why not a Vegas team?

kk87

Feb 12, 2015
Waterloo, ON
The Pens probably have a 15-20% chance of three-peating... Vegas's playoff odds aren't anywhere near that.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Fleury has dragged a banged up Penguins team kicking and screaming into the playoffs before.

Why not a Vegas team?

I think it's a much different animal when a good team with elite players and structure in place goes through injuries to those players. Its easier to step up for shorter periods and I think the team as a whole plays with more confidence and focus with the expectation of getting back to contending once guys come back from injury. They also know what it takes for their team to be successful as they've seen it already. Vegas is a new team, new coach, new system, with players who haven't played together before and the expectation of losing. I don't think Fleury is good enough to overcome all that

Fear

Nov 17, 2014

Why not a Vegas team?

When did this happen? Fleury has had many good seasons but nothing crazy. And Vegas has nothing close to Crosby, Malkin or Letang, and even though they've all missed significant time, the others have been able to step up.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Voted Pittsburgh winning, but I think they'll for sure make to the CSF or potentially the finals, but I doubt they'll win. Think Edmonton wins it.

Although I think Vegas will surprise a lot of people and get a wild-card spot.

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
When did this happen? Fleury has had many good seasons but nothing crazy. And Vegas has nothing close to Crosby, Malkin or Letang, and even though they've all missed significant time, the others have been able to step up.
2010-11 when Crosby went down with his first concussion and Malkin had a leg thing. Sid played 41 games, Malkin 43 games that season... and they both missed January onward. J Staal was our number 1 center going into the playoffs, followed by Letestu and Craig Adams.

Looking at stats, Fleury wasn't statistically great. But anyone that watched that season knew that we had no business being as good as we were. That had a lot to do with Fleury stealing a ton of games in the second half of the season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad