More goals this year: McDavid or Laine?

More goals?

• Total voters

OilCanada92

May 1, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
When McDavid is with Draisaitl, it seems like he defers to him to be the goal scorer. With RNH being a pass first player and Rattie barely being an NHLer, I get McDavid takes on more of a goal scorers mentality. We saw it at the end of last season when he was close to a goal per game in the final 25 games. I also think McDavid likes to set personal goals for himself and with the a couple Art Rosses, Lindseys, and a Hart, he's likely eying the Richard now.

Thenameless

Apr 29, 2014
This is the one area where I give a slight edge to Laine. He's very young and could still break out goal scoring wise, as if he hadn't already scored enough last year.

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
Gotta go with McDavid if he says he is gonna improve on that aspect. He will likely win Richard this year.

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
Lol, this is Laine until proven otherwise(McDavid is yet to score more goals than Laine in any season with more GP and MPG).

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
McDavid

I feel like this is going to be like Ovi vs Crosby. Ovechkin is obviously the better goal-scorer - but any given year no one is surprised if Crosby paces or tops Ovi for goals, because he has it in him to do so. I think McDavid will do the same. He'll probably score 30-40 most years, but he'll also get a couple of rockets and may even break 60 once or twice.

Laineux

Aug 1, 2011
Laine is the safe bet.

McDavid could score 55 goals and 60 assists or he could score 30 goals a 85 assists. There is going to be fluctuation just based on how much he shoots... he can be a goalscorer or a playmaker depending on the need.

Laine will always be the primary goalscoring option in his line and in the powerplay. Thus his goal totals should be more consistent and the safer bet.

Reactions: olli and Plural

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
The Oilers PP is still garbage and McLellan is going to ride his setup to the grave. Laine will make up the difference there.

Narow

Nov 11, 2016
Depends on laines icetime...hopefully he gets more than last year or else it will be really close.

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
McDavid

I feel like this is going to be like Ovi vs Crosby. Ovechkin is obviously the better goal-scorer - but any given year no one is surprised if Crosby paces or tops Ovi for goals, because he has it in him to do so. I think McDavid will do the same. He'll probably score 30-40 most years, but he'll also get a couple of rockets and may even break 60 once or twice.

Sidney Crosby scored over 50 goals once and over 40 goals twice

Ovechkin has scored over 50 goals 7 times

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I think for their careers Laine will be the superior goal scorer.... however, for this year I think McDavid is going to play like a man absolutely possessed after seeing the ineptitude of the team and management last year. Also, 50 is such held in such a high prestige for goal scorers I think McDavid will pot 50 this year. Sid's done it, Ovie has obviously done it.... I think there'll be some intrinsic motivation for him to achieve that

Incognito

Oct 18, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
This to me all depends on McDavid's mindset and what he chooses to do. If he really is going into the season with a "score more goals" approach specifically, then I can't bet against him.

Varan

Nov 27, 2016
Toronto, Ontario
I think for their careers Laine will be the superior goal scorer.... however, for this year I think McDavid is going to play like a man absolutely possessed after seeing the ineptitude of the team and management last year. Also, 50 is such held in such a high prestige for goal scorers I think McDavid will pot 50 this year. Sid's done it, Ovie has obviously done it.... I think there'll be some intrinsic motivation for him to achieve that
also Malkin! it would be a cool way to be part of a big 4 whom all share similar achievements

Reactions: DRW204

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad