More expensive future: Michael McCarron or Nikita Scherbak

mustardnight*

Aug 11, 2011
His season last year was a complete flop by any measurement.

He needs to be a lot better this year.

Amongst all forwards (all 7 rounds of the draft) only 5 guys were drafted, played in the CHL, and had a lower PPG than McCarron... They were taken in the 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, 7th rounds respectively.

On top of that, since the 90s, only a handful of forwards have put up a similar PPG in their post draft season in the CHL, and gone on to have productive NHL careers. Even the vast, vast majority of third and fourth line grinders are PPG players at that age.

Yes there are some exceptions... but I cant find a single CHL guy drafted in the first round who fits that description going back to the early 90s.... I can only find late round picks and undrafted players who are getting less than 0.55 PPG in their 18/19 year old season, and still go on to become good NHLers (non-goons).

That doesn't mean he's a bust... but that certainly means that expectations have been tempered quite a bit after that season.

He had a good second half after they moved him to centre and played him over 10 mins a game... He was playing less than that before.

Not to mention that looking at PPG stats is stupid, the CHL has changed its scoring recently. I would also look at Lucic's stats in the WHL before blasting McCarron.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
He had a good second half after they moved him to centre and played him over 10 mins a game... He was playing less than that before.

His second half was still way less than a PPG.... His second half wasn't good by a post-draft CHL standard, it was merely slightly less than the horrible first half.

As for icetime. He got the ice time he earned (or didn't earn).

Not to mention that looking at PPG stats is stupid, the CHL has changed its scoring recently. I would also look at Lucic's stats in the WHL before blasting McCarron.

The CHL changed its scoring recently? WHAT? WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT? I don't even know how the CHL changed their scoring stats, or when, in the last 40 years.

As for looking at Lucic, okay, lets compare him vs McCarron at the same age (post draft season)

68 points in 70 games
34 points in 66 games

Oh he only doubled McCarron in scoring (just less than double PPG).

If you want someone who had those types of stats post draft, I'll even help... its Travis Moen. However he is a huge exception not the rule.

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
McCarron is criminally under-rated on these boards.

I just don't get it.

That being said, I think Scherbak.

Not really. Everything about his development screams not being a regular NHLer. He has shown literally nothing that makes one believe he will be an NHLer. He has size, and that's it.

FlyingKostitsyn

Mar 7, 2008
Quebec
Might as well have asked who is the most likely to become a notable, impact player no? In any case, its Scherbak. More potential, more likely to reach it.

Scherbak can become a good first or second liner, and seems likely to reach his potential. He has NHL skills. McCarron can become a good or decent third liner, maybe a legit second liner at some point, but thats very unlikely imho. He might not make the NHL.

Fish on The Sand said:
Not really. Everything about his development screams not being a regular NHLer. He has shown literally nothing that makes one believe he will be an NHLer. He has size, and that's it.

Its difficult to argue against that opinion, sadly. He might be going down the Chipchura path, were even if he does make the NHL it will take a while and completely miss the expectations upon him when he was drafted. Because we're not very patient in Montreal, he will likely end up playing on the fourth line somewere else.

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012
McCarron is criminally under-rated on these boards.

I just don't get it.

That being said, I think Scherbak.

Except for being draft on the first round, is there any indications that can make us optimist about his future? Stats wise, he's not good. After saying he's taking this year's camp more seriously, than last year, he didn't really show anything interesting about his game.

Galchenyuk

Sep 13, 2014
If McCarron can wrap his head around the type of player he needs to be (I'm thinking Bertuzzi type). He can play on a second line and make space for our speedy forwards. If he thinks he will play a perimeter game and take a lot of outside shots, he never makes the NHL.

If McCarron can be a Troy Brower Joel Ward in the crease type of player that's fine , he has a hell of a wrist shot and his size is much needed. Nikita is hands down a legit top 6 talent and looks like a natural fit with 27 one day.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad