Montreal Offseason UFA signings /trade predictions

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
The speculation is pointless. They aren’t signing a top 6 forward. History shows us that. It doesn’t happen with this team. They’ll have to trade or develop that player. Montreal has never been a destination for big name ufa’s. Even just for Canadian teams, they probably sit 3rd or 4th as a destination. Maybe even 5th. He’ll even a French guy Giroux signed with bloody Ottawa over coming here.

Reactions: rahad

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
I say either sign marchessault on a 3 year 6-7M deal, or try and trade for a player that fits our timeline

marchessault wont fit the timeline, but much like allen he holds the spot until the Draft pick is ready.

Role out next year
Caufield - Suzuki - Slaf
March - Dach - Newhook
Roy - Dvo - Armia
Gallagher - Evans - Anderson
ex RHP, Pezz

with Demidov, iginla, catton or lindstrom developing and ready to go by year 3 of the marchessault deal

Kosseca

Feb 23, 2020
Last time though, we were a really good team and he was the missing piece. It’s not the case now
This is why this summer is not the time to commit to UFA. If you want to get a top tier UFA, you'll need to show first that this team is on the brink of doing something great. That is why I say, keep the cap space open for 2025, weaponize for 1yr the cap space you have. Make sure you are really competitive next year be still adding young talent to the roster. Look for opportunities to unload dead wood.

Ìf you have $$$ and you can sell the idea that for season 25/26 the team will compete hard, you have a very good chance to get at top tier UFA.

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
The speculation is pointless. They aren’t signing a top 6 forward. History shows us that. It doesn’t happen with this team. They’ll have to trade or develop that player. Montreal has never been a destination for big name ufa’s. Even just for Canadian teams, they probably sit 3rd or 4th as a destination. Maybe even 5th. He’ll even a French guy Giroux signed with bloody Ottawa over coming here.
TBF on the giroux one the team was working in a situation where we we're in the depths of a rebuild, he signed when we drafted slaf

Reactions: schwang26

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
A good veteran RHD would be a main target for me. I'd like us to match our best 3 young Dmen with 3 vets and to distribute the 5 to 5 minutes more equally amongst the 3 pairs, so guys like Matherson and Savard aren't being overtused so much. We're probably going to free some space this summer via trade anyway, I'm expecting a bit of a defense reshaping.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
This is why this summer is not the time to commit to UFA. If you want to get a top tier UFA, you'll need to show first that this team is on the brink of doing something great. That is why I say, keep the cap space open for 2025, weaponize for 1yr the cap space you have. Make sure you are really competitive next year be still adding young talent to the roster. Look for opportunities to unload dead wood.

Ìf you have $$$ and you can sell the idea that for season 25/26 the team will compete hard, you have a very good chance to get at top tier UFA.
Agree at 100%

Reactions: LaP

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
My top 9 next year while we await our 2024 1st:

Caufield - Suzuki - Slaf
_____ - Dach - ______
Roy - Newhook - Armia
Gallaghar - Evans - Anderson
Ylo/Pez/RHP

Dvo traded.

I think we have two spots open if Dvo is traded. If he isn't, we have one. I'd take Monahan. If the 2024 1st and a better player fill the spots next year, then we can move Monahan for assets. I'd much rather our young players play with Monahan than Dvo and Anderson. Also, Armia is coming off of the books prior to the 2025 season, so that's one extra spot. Although one of Beck or Kapanen may be ready then. But if they're both read, that's a good problem.

Looks good long term when those two top 6 spots have been filled and Anderson and Gally move from the 4th line to LTIR.

However I don't think it's a reasonable forecast for next year. There is no way we will be adding 2 top 6 forwards this offseason. Dach will likely play with some combination of Newhook, Roy, Armia, Gally, etc. next year.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Looks good long term when those two top 6 spots have been filled and Anderson and Gally move from the 4th line to LTIR.

However I don't think it's a reasonable forecast for next year. There is no way we will be adding 2 top 6 forwards this offseason. Dach will likely play with some combination of Newhook, Roy, Armia, Gally, etc. next year.

If we add one, I wouldn't at mind seeing Dach 0kay with Dvo and that forward we add.

If we add none, I wouldn't at mind seeing Dach play with Royy and Dvo, and then Gally-Newhook-Armia comes back as a 3rd line. They finished the year strong.

Caufield- Suzuki - Slaf
Roy - Dach - Dvo
Gally - Newhook - Armia
RHP - Evan's- Anderson
Ylo, Pez

But it's hard to imagine Hughes sitting still

Reactions: lamp9post

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
Agree at 100%
It’s a matter of getting the young stars more experience I think before they try and shore up and make a run. A lot of those guys have missed significant time and the goalies have not played significant minutes yet. At most, I’d try to acquire a Dach or Newhook and I’d start building a proper 4th line. Just sticking young ahl guys there isn’t going to work. They need big vets who can forecheck and kill penalties. Then next year, I’d worry about aquiring high end talent.

Reactions: Vachon23

rahad

Feb 3, 2016
montreal

I can't remember the last elite forward signing with us. We better draft some good player and find some nice NHL caliber player in the second/third round of the draft.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
If you consider history to be limited to Bergevin era only then sure, but Gauthier was able able to sign a top-6 forward, and Gainey signed several. And why even bring up Giroux, I'd be shocked if we even made him an offer, you should at least come up with a guy who we actually tried to sign.

Reactions: HabbyGuy

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
I can't remember the last elite forward signing with us. We better draft some good player and find some nice NHL caliber player in the second/third round of the draft.
I brought that up in another thread. Camalerri 12 years ago. He was coming off a ppg season (of course, he didn’t do that once he signed). Before him, I can’t even remember. Turgeon? Damphousse? Maybe they were acquired by trade? Regardless, history proves my point. It’s not happening folks, so speculation is utterly pointless. They’ll have to trade or develop a top 6 forward.

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
If you consider history to be limited to Bergevin era only then sure, but Gauthier was able able to sign a top-6 forward, and Gainey signed several. And why even bring up Giroux, I'd be shocked if we even made him an offer, you should at least come up with a guy who we actually tried to sign.
MB was here for what? 9, 10 years? With a prime Price in net. That’s a long time right there. And the point is, it’s extremely rare. Besides Camalerri 12 years ago, who are these big name free agents you’re mentioning? And I’m talking top 6 forwards. PPG guys. As for Giroux, I think that’s an excellent example of a guy who was available (do we know they weren’t interested?). I’m sure they kicked the tires. There’s plenty of guys they tried to get over the decades (Tavares probably the most recent). Hossa would probably be another. Selanne comes to mind.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010

Bergevin signed top-6 forwards too (Radulov, Toffoli, some considered Briere and Hoffman top-6 forwards).

Its generally a bad idea to build through Free Agency anyways. Plus, the best way to get good free agents is to have cap flexibility and a favourable position, both of which require strong drafting, development and trading. Montreal's never been a great UFA destination roster-wise, so the lack of high end UFAs isn't surprising.

Reactions: rahad and schwang26

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
It’s a matter of getting the young stars more experience I think before they try and shore up and make a run. A lot of those guys have missed significant time and the goalies have not played significant minutes yet. At most, I’d try to acquire a Dach or Newhook and I’d start building a proper 4th line. Just sticking young ahl guys there isn’t going to work. They need big vets who can forecheck and kill penalties. Then next year, I’d worry about aquiring high end talent.
Many contract will get out of the book in 25 and like you said many of the young players will have more experience

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
You guys are all crying that UFA's won't sign here , I'm actually happy that's the case right now, its gonna save us from the mononcle serge antichambre takes in this thread of acquiring some 33 years old top 6er

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
Bergevin signed top-6 forwards too (Radulov, Toffoli, some considered Briere and Hoffman top-6 forwards).

Its generally a bad idea to build through Free Agency anyways. Plus, the best way to get good free agents is to have cap flexibility and a favourable position, both of which require strong drafting, development and trading. Montreal's never been a great UFA destination roster-wise, so the lack of high end UFAs isn't surprising.
I’ll give you that these guys played top 6 roles on Montreal, but none of them were really big name stars or ppg players. On good teams, many would’ve been 3rd liners. Radulov probably had the most impact but wasn’t even close to a ppg on the Habs. I’m talking about Stamkos level guys which is what everyone is hoping for.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
Caufield - Suzuki - Slafkovsky
Draisatl - McDavid - Matthews
Armia - Newhook - Gallagher
Pezzeta - Evans - Dach

Matheson - Savard
Makar - Mailloux
Hutson - Q. Hughes

Clone of Patrick Roy
Clone of Patrick Roy

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
I’ll give you that these guys played top 6 roles on Montreal, but none of them were really big name stars or ppg players. On good teams, many would’ve been 3rd liners. Radulov probably had the most impact but wasn’t even close to a ppg on the Habs. I’m talking about Stamkos level guys which is what everyone is hoping for.
At the same time, trying to attract a star offensive player with Therrien or Martin as coach is not the best way..

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007

These players rarely change teams to begin with. Most teams in the league don't acquire guys like this via UFA.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
These players rarely change teams to begin with. Most teams in the league don't acquire guys like this via UFA.
Agreed - but doing so is a game changer, ask NYR how Panarin & Fox’s free acquisitions changed the orgs position. “Free” being the key word

As Gorton & Hughes are not shy in publicly stating, one of their main goals is to change how players view playing in Mtl market for Habs, and make the org one players naturally gravitate to

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010

Toffoli hasn't been far better than a 3rd liner on, like, 4 teams now. Radulov wasn't a 3rd liner until his play deteriorated.

There are also less than 50 p/gp players in the NHL even now in a higher scoring era. And more than 10% of those are D.

The truth is that those kinds of players almost never make it to UFA anyways and you should never expect to get them. That's why rebuilding is important - the best way to get those kinds of players is to draft early, often and well.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
MB was here for what? 9, 10 years? With a prime Price in net. That’s a long time right there. And the point is, it’s extremely rare. Besides Camalerri 12 years ago, who are these big name free agents you’re mentioning? And I’m talking top 6 forwards. PPG guys. As for Giroux, I think that’s an excellent example of a guy who was available (do we know they weren’t interested?). I’m sure they kicked the tires. There’s plenty of guys they tried to get over the decades (Tavares probably the most recent). Hossa would probably be another. Selanne comes to mind.
Yes it was a long time but you have to remember Bergevin was incompetent, the fact that he didn't sign anyone (Though as pointed out Radulov and Toffolli should count) isn't a sign that nobody wants to sign in Montreal. A top-UFA not wanting to deal with Therrien isn't the same as not wanting to play for the Habs. I mean seriously, what skill player that has a choice would choose to play for a bully who doesn't like skill players and wants everyone to play like a grinder?

As for Giroux he became available after we just finished coming in last place and announced that there would be a long rebuild. Giroux wasn't going to be signed.

Also if you mean ppg forwards then say that, don't say top-6 forwards and mean ppg players because most top-6 forwards aren't ppg forwards.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013

I don't really count Radulov since it was such a unique set of circumstances and then when he wanted to re-sign him he couldn't. But yeah forgot about Toffoli, he should for sure count. Briere and Hoffman though I don't think they were top-6 players at the time of the signing, they were both coming off bad years where the hope was they could rebound and return to their top-6 form but that was just hope.

Reactions: HabbyGuy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad