Montreal Offseason UFA signings /trade predictions

Shred

Nov 1, 2005

Undersized goalie. Played well for London, he got hurt in his last year of eligibility in the O and it pretty much ended their run that year.

He put up good numbers in the ECHL.

I would sign him and put him in 3R.

I don't think Kasimir Kaskisuo has any deal with Laval next year, so sign another vet for A and if it's only a game here and there that NHL goalies miss, bring that goalie up to sit on the bench

The year after Volokhin likely won't be over. Fowler could likely use another year in college.

So, 2024-25 season

NHL
Montembeault
Primeau

AHL
Dobes
Vet.

ECHL
Brochu
Whomever.

2025-26

NHL
Montembeault/Primeau
Dobes

AHL:
Brochu
Vet

ECHL
Quentin Miller
Whomever.

By this point if Brochu has shown some progress can use him in a trade as a sweetener.

Again, he's a long shot as a smaller goalie, but he seems to be a battler
You had me at french name, english speaking goalie. Brossoit, Jarry, Primeau. Jacques Alain.

Shred

Nov 1, 2005
That’s why Stamkos on a short term deal is the highest probability “big name” / UFA acquisition IMO - 100% driven by MSL relationship factor
Stamkos is 34 and he seems to have declined 5 on 5 (48% of his points came on the powerplay playing with Kucherov). I think he would be a 60 point guy here. Seems to be exactly the type of win now move Hugo would refrain from unless he comes very cheap at a tradable contract like Monahan did last year. It’s a long shot but quite possible he can’t get a long term deal from a contender this summer and this becomes a viable option for him. Worked for Monahan, backfired for Klingberg. Marian Hossa repeatedly employed a similar strategy back then as well.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Dream offseason:

Trade up with the Jets pick and draft two of Celebrini, Demidov, Lindstrom, Catton, Iginla, Eiserman, Helenius, or even Levshunov, Buium, Dickinson, Yacumchuk, Parekh, Saliyev, etc...

Sign Monahan and Marchessault. Trade Dvo to make room.

Zorro

Aug 5, 2011
That’s why Stamkos on a short term deal is the highest probability “big name” / UFA acquisition IMO - 100% driven by MSL relationship factor

The MSL connection is obvious and well received but he's too old and we're not close enough to be competing for a cup. He's the type of player you get when you're just missing that "one" piece.

Reactions: rahad and hvac412

Pat Riot

Sep 30, 2017
Dream offseason:

Trade up with the Jets pick and draft two of Celebrini, Demidov, Lindstrom, Catton, Iginla, Eiserman, Helenius, or even Levshunov, Buium, Dickinson, Yacumchuk, Parekh, Saliyev, etc...

Marchessault I see his name brought up often in here. I really think we should stay away of a 5'9 , 34 years old looking to cash big on his last contract. And I dont see Monahan being a good option either. Old player injured often looking to sign a multiple year contract .

Last edited:

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
I keep hearing that the Habs are circling back to Zegras. Not sure how valid that is but at least Zegras isn't in his mid-30's. I have no interest in any over-30 player other than Crosby, who isn't available. But Stamkos or Marchessault? Non, merci.

Reactions: Rozz

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Marchessault I see his name brought often on here. I really think we should stay away of a 5'9 , 34 years old looking to cash big on his last contract. And I dont see Monahan being a good option either. Old player injured often looking to sign a multiple year contract .
3 years max for both.

I keep hearing that the Habs are circling back to Zegras. Not sure how valid that is but at least Zegras isn't in his mid-30's. I have no interest in any over-30 player other than Crosby, who isn't available. But Stamkos or Marchessault? Non, merci.

Where do you hear we're circling back on Zegras?

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
The MSL connection is obvious and well received but he's too old and we're not close enough to be competing for a cup. He's the type of player you get when you're just missing that "one" piece.
A veteran who’s missed 5GP total over last 3-full seasons and avg 39G / 90pts over that 3-year period.

Slaf, Dach, young D need to play meaningful games next season to avoid Buf/Sens situation and more importantly continue their development - let alone Stamkos would help no only add to the offensive output but help grow Dach & Newhook’s boundaries.

There’s also the matter of providing another arsenal for Hutson who I expect will help QB a top 5-10 NHL PP next season.

Lastly, the big markets (except Chi) are all capped out, and if $ is the differentiator, Stamkos (being a US resident) can maximize take home by playing for a Cdn vs US team due to bonus structured contracts and Fla being his primary residence. Unless he absolutely does not want to have anything to do with playing under Mtl microscope or leaving TBay, I think he can be had by Habs on a 2-3 year deal

No interest in Laine and Hughes won’t have any either.
Laine is not a “culture” player, HuGo & MSL like MB go out of their way to mention the importance of culture & how great a culture the team has

Last edited:

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Stamkos is 34 and he seems to have declined 5 on 5 (48% of his points came on the powerplay playing with Kucherov). I think he would be a 60 point guy here. Seems to be exactly the type of win now move Hugo would refrain from unless he comes very cheap at a tradable contract like Monahan did last year. It’s a long shot but quite possible he can’t get a long term deal from a contender this summer and this becomes a viable option for him. Worked for Monahan, backfired for Klingberg. Marian Hossa repeatedly employed a similar strategy back then as well.

Utah changes the landscape considerably this offseason.

They have boat loads of cap room, a strong prospect pool, tons of draft capital, and an owner with deep pockets.

Any older vet looking for term and cap is licking their chops. If Stamkos wants top $, I bet he ends up there.

Reactions: jrom and Shred

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
I don't really get the apprehension to signing one veteran winger. The only players over 30 on the roster for next year are Gallagher, Matheson, and Savard, and we would definitely benefit from having another capable top 6 winger around to build two capable scoring lines. I don't want to have to sit here and rely on Joshua Roy being a capable top 6 option from day 1, right now our 2nd line is probably Newhook-Dach-XXX and I would love to raise the floor there.

Cap won't be an issue on a 2-3 year term (or 3-4 if it's Toffoli) with how many ELCs and locked in contracts we'll already have, and towards the end of the deal it's not really an issue if a Marchessault loses a 2nd line spot to Roy and plays on the third line.

Pat Riot

Sep 30, 2017
I don't really get the apprehension to signing one veteran winger. The only players over 30 on the roster for next year are Gallagher, Matheson, and Savard, and we would definitely benefit from having another capable top 6 winger around to build two capable scoring lines. I don't want to have to sit here and rely on Joshua Roy being a capable top 6 option from day 1, right now our 2nd line is probably Newhook-Dach-XXX and I would love to raise the floor there.

Cap won't be an issue on a 2-3 year term (or 3-4 if it's Toffoli) with how many ELCs and locked in contracts we'll already have, and towards the end of the deal it's not really an issue if a Marchessault loses a 2nd line spot to Roy and plays on the third line.
Armia and Anderson will be over 30 too. Plus Dvorak at 29. Add those players to the 3 you mentionned, thats like 25% of the roster. Thats more than enough vet presence IMO for a rebuilding team

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
Armia and Anderson will be over 30 too. Plus Dvorak at 29. Add those players to the 3 you mentionned, thats like 25% of the roster. Thats more than enough vet presence IMO for a rebuilding team
It's not about a veteran presence for me at all, I just want an actually good 2nd line winger to play with Dach and probably Newhook on our 2nd line, and I want someone as insurance so that an injury to Newhook, Caufield, or Slafkovsky doesn't turn us into a one line team again. I'd have no problem signing someone younger, but if we're choosing between a 7 year deal for a guy like Teravainen or a 2-3 year deal for Marchessault I'd much rather go with Marchessault on a shorter term.

Armia and Dvorak are both expiring at the end of next year, and it's not like we have tons of guys hammering on the door for spots at the moment. My rationale is that Marchessault or some other substitute can play on the 2nd line next year and then drop to the 3rd line later on.

Reactions: Sorinth

Pat Riot

Sep 30, 2017
It's not about a veteran presence for me at all, I just want an actually good 2nd line winger to play with Dach and probably Newhook on our 2nd line, and I want someone as insurance so that an injury to Newhook, Caufield, or Slafkovsky doesn't turn us into a one line team again. I'd have no problem signing someone younger, but if we're choosing between a 7 year deal for a guy like Teravainen or a 2-3 year deal for Marchessault I'd much rather go with Marchessault on a shorter term.

Armia and Dvorak are both expiring at the end of next year, and it's not like we have tons of guys hammering on the door for spots at the moment. My rationale is that Marchessault or some other substitute can play on the 2nd line next year and then drop to the 3rd line later on.

I believe the lack of firepower in our top 6 will be adressed by the management at the draft via a trade. I think they will prefer to trade for a player that fit the core age so they can grow as players together versus signing an aging FA.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I believe the lack of firepower in our top 6 will be adressed by the management at the draft via a trade. I think they will prefer to trade for a player that fit the core age so they can grow as players together versus signing an aging FA.

I wouldn't be so sure, Hughes talks glowingly about having guys like Bergeron in the room.

Canadiens98

Jan 29, 2021
Not sure if they make another one of those deals. The Dach and Newhook trades were very unique, you don't see those kinds of deals happen very often.

Also, I don't think we need everyone to be the same age. It would mean when their contracts come due they will all want a big pay day. We need a good mix of players who can contribute now and would be willing to take less as they age when we're contending. I wouldn't rule out a trade for someone in their late 20's

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Marchessault I see his name brought up often in here. I really think we should stay away of a 5'9 , 34 years old looking to cash big on his last contract. And I dont see Monahan being a good option either. Old player injured often looking to sign a multiple year contract .
Yet Marchessault would be a great option next to Dach while we wait for our top 7 pick to be ready, regardless of his height.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Yet Marchessault would be a great option next to Dach while we wait for our top 7 pick to be ready, regardless of his height.

Is ti-JM willing to take a short deal?

Dream offseason:

There is room without trading Dvo. The question is how many years for these two guys we may want to sign?

HabbyGuy

Apr 10, 2003
Hamilton Ontario
Visit site
i'm pretty sure 1, if not 2 of Hutson, Reinbacher and Mailloux will make the team next season. HuGo will want to maximize Savard's presence on the team. And unfortunately, i think Guhle will play RHD as long as Matheson is on the team.

Next season imo :

Matheson-Guhle
Hutson-Savard
Xhekaj-Mailloux
Struble--Kovacevic

Harris-Barron traded.

I disagree, IMO no matter how well Reinbacher shows in camp, he's heading to the AHL for a little more "seasoning" I believe perhaps only Hutson may stay with the big club, as they buy more time for Harris and Barron, Kovacevic will be traded to make room, wouldn't be shocked to see Struble back in the AHL to start next season either.

Patience will be the key this season, not only for not messing up the rebuild, but for getting as long a look at Harris and Barron as possible. Next offseason is when we will see a higher turnover.

Hughes doesn't want to be too hasty in moving any of the young D in fears he might regret it later. IMO both Harris and Barron are guaranteed NHL'ers with long careers ahead of them, you don't just toss them away without knowing exactly what you have, not only with them, but also in the pipeline.

Unless the value is to Hughes' liking he wont be moving them just to make space. I know it' boring but it's just the way I see it.

Last edited:

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
Funny how Monahan's stock is up now on this forum, while a few months ago the near-consensus was that he was made of glass (I went against that prevailing view, as some may remember). What I don't understand is if he had an agreement with HuGo to trade him to a contender, which presumably forced their hand to make him available, how that consideration would no longer apply this summer. I would think the team's competitiveness still matters to the player, all the more so given his perspective on the Habs for having traded him out once.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Is ti-JM willing to take a short deal?

There is room without trading Dvo. The question is how many years for these two guys we may want to sign?
Yes it's unlikely one or both come because I don't go more than 3 years, and they probably want the best chance to contend. But both of them now have personal ties to Montreal. So you hope that outweighs other factors, however unlikely.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Funny how Monahan's stock is up now on this forum, while a few months ago the near-consensus was that he was made of glass (I went against that prevailing view, as some may remember). What I don't understand is if he had an agreement with HuGo to trade him to a contender, which presumably forced their hand to make him available, how that consideration would no longer apply this summer. I would think the team's competitiveness still matters to the player, all the more so given his perspective on the Habs for having traded him out once.
Obviously the Habs weren't contending this season once Dach and Newhook went down. Next season is a different story. Hopefully the Jets go out in the 1st round and he may hesitate to sign with them. If whatever moves the Habs make before next season convince him that they can contend and he was happy in Montreal there is a chance he could return.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad