Montreal Offseason UFA signings /trade predictions

zzoo

Mar 9, 2004
Without a good UFA forward, I think Habs can't make playoffs. They might be close though. With an addition of a good forward, Habs have a legit chance to make it, barely.

Possible: Marchessault, Toffoli, Teravainen, Lindholm, Monahan, Duclair, Duchene
Almost impossible: Stamkos, Reinhart, Guentzel, Kane
Not interested: Tarasenko, Hoffman, Pacioretty, Tatar, Domi, Wheeler, Voracek, Perron

Reactions: Kimota

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Without a good UFA forward, I think Habs can't make playoffs. They might be close though. With an addition of a good forward, Habs have a legit chance to make it, barely.

Possible: Marchessault, Toffoli, Teravainen, Lindholm, Monahan, Duclair, Duchene
Almost impossible: Stamkos, Reinhart, Guentzel, Kane
Not interested: Tarasenko, Hoffman, Pacioretty, Tatar, Domi, Wheeler, Voracek, Perron
Toffoli+Monahan would def be willing to listen

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
If he's willing to sign a 1 year deal I'd take Perron. He's won a cup, sounds like he's a good leader and he's put up around 50 points the last 2 seasons. A big reason he went to Detroit was to be closer to home and his family, so he'd likely have interest.

If he has a good season he'll help us get closer to the playoffs, if we aren't close to the playoffs at the deadline he can be moved.

Most of the decent UFAs will likely want long-term deals which I wouldn't be interested in given we will have younger guys needing spots in the future, but a 36 year old Perron could be a decent stop gap for a year to help provide some secondary scoring from our middle six.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Is Dvorak a Verbeek type player. Struble probably is.

Dvorak fits a stop gap need for them (vet C). His expiring <5M$ contract could be more appealing than trying to address it via UFA market.

Leaving him out is a possibility but I do think they'd have interest.

I would trade Anderson for a bag of “zesty mordant” chips at this point.
Indeed...

Though I do think there's a very good chance he lands in Utah, what)if KH is able to get in the process is a toss up imo

Reactions: NicRattlehead

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Jalen Chatfield 3.75x4. One of Marchessault, Perron, Toffoli for 3-4 years at 4.75-5.5M.
Chatfield is Carolina's 6th D, playing just 15 minutes per game. Can't Kovacevic play that role?

Why sign this guy for more thasn Savard makes?

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
I don't have much interest in free agency...I think that's where you go to compliment your team

I would never spend big money just to get compliments. There must be some young hungry copywriters out there who would do it for next to nothing and a couple of tickets to the games.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Habs10Habs and 417

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
nothing serious can happen until we have Gallagher/Anderson/Price (yes LTIR but it still has an impact on roster building in the offseason) on the books
That is not true.

Without trading a single expensive player, we have about $17M for next year, and another $17M for the following year. We can afford 2-3 decent players this year. For 25-26, we can cover the raises for Slaf, Guhle, Struble and Primeau and bring in 1 player

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
I can’t say this for sure because who ever knows what’s in another person’s head and heart but Anderson is kind of a bum who seems to be unwilling to admit anything is wrong.

I like your lines except I would put Anderson in Laval, move Armia up, and reward someone who actually tries a spot on the 4th line.
Anderson is MSL / Hughes’ Frankenstein project on taking raw north-south blinders on player (size + speed) & “developing” him into a hybrid East-west type IMO

Not sure he can be transformed into what they seek, but I’m expecting a rebound year to his career norm (22-25G pace)

Last edited:
Reactions: NicRattlehead

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
For the love of Satan can we at least upgrade on Michael Pezzetta beside having an elite punchable face he's not doing much right.

Right now, it definitely looks like he'll be in Laval or claimed on waivers.

With Hutson, we have 14 forwards and 9 dmen. Someone has to gi based on numbers, plus HuGo will probably want to make some changes.

Potential offseason target?

Would be incredible. But Cheveldayoff is too smart to give him up at all, let alone for anything short of a king's ransom.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Winnipeg 1st, a prospect and a young dman for Martin Necas...
Sounds like fair trade to me

I asked Canes fans about Necas. They want Guhle. I said no way, Guhle untouchable to me. We traded Sergechev and McDonagh before and it was terrible. Guhle at 22 is better than either or those 2 were at 22. Be giant mistake to trade Guhle

hvac412

Apr 15, 2013
Anderson is MSL / Hughes’ Frankenstein project on taking raw north-south blinders on player (size + speed) & “developing” him into a hybrid East-west type IMO

Not sure he can be transformed into what they seek, but I’m expecting a rebound year to his career norm (22-25G pace)
Definitely a player that's needs to go to a different environment,

Reactions: Benstheman

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
I still think Dach needs help on his line for next season. Since HuGo want the team to compete for a playoffs spot and since we got a lot of cap space, i can't see them not going for a short/mid term fix on the second line wings.

Also, like it or not, Dach still needs developing. Give him the tools to do it properly. I'd keep an open spot on that line for one of Roy or Newhook. Let them battle for that spot. Internal competition is always a good thing. But for the other spot, i don't see why we wouldn't sign a legit top 6 D for 2-3 years. That player will keep the spot warm for our 2024 1st pick while helping us being more competitive.

The more i think about it, the more i think Toffoli is the best candidate for that spot. 31 yo. Can score 25-30 goals. Love the city. Great guy. Knows the organization. Knows the players. And won't ask for too much money.

Monahan i like him alot but i think he will asks for to many years and don't want to take that risk long term.

Marchessault well. Would love if he shows interest in playing here for 3-4 years. I guess it all depend on what he asks money wise. We can't screw with our current salary structure. Wouldn't give him more than 7,5 M$ on a 3 years and 6,5-7M$ on a 4 years contract. I think he will get more elsewhere.

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
No one. Still players to purge. Stay the course.

Slafkovsky-Suzuki-Caufield
Newhook-Dach-Roy (maybe)
Armia-Evans/Dvorak-Gallagher
Pezzetta-Evans/Dvorak-RHP

Edit: Anderson is in there somewhere ...

Tuch gets an audition

Guhle-Matheson
Hutson-Savard
Mailloux/Barron/Xhekaj/Kovacevic/Struble

Maybe they use one of the young d in a package to upgrade the wing with a similarly aged player, but I think they give Roy the chance. He was starting to produce regularly at the time of his injury.

Last edited:
Reactions: 26Mats and Redux91

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Adding scoring on a 2nd and 3rd line can only help Suzuki's line take the next step -- that's development.

Tofolli doesn't sign under three to four years on a final bigger contract. Plus, why sign if he canÙ't be part of a longer playoff run on that contract in three or four years from now?

Would like to see:

Caufield - Suzuki - Slafkovsky
Tofolli - Dach - Roy
Anderson - Newhook - Armia
Heinemann - Dvorak - Gallagher

NicRattlehead

Mar 5, 2021
Houston, TX

I hope so. I’ve always liked Anderson I just thought his response to adversity this year was disheartening.

Reactions: Rozz

Kosseca

Feb 23, 2020
I still think Dach needs help on his line for next season. Since HuGo want the team to compete for a playoffs spot and since we got a lot of cap space, i can't see them not going for a short/mid term fix on the second line wings.

Also, like it or not, Dach still needs developing. Give him the tools to do it properly. I'd keep an open spot on that line for one of Roy or Newhook. Let them battle for that spot. Internal competition is always a good thing. But for the other spot, i don't see why we wouldn't sign a legit top 6 D for 2-3 years. That player will keep the spot warm for our 2024 1st pick while helping us being more competitive.

The more i think about it, the more i think Toffoli is the best candidate for that spot. 31 yo. Can score 25-30 goals. Love the city. Great guy. Knows the organization. Knows the players. And won't ask for too much money.

Monahan i like him alot but i think he will asks for to many years and don't want to take that risk long term.

Marchessault well. Would love if he shows interest in playing here for 3-4 years. I guess it all depend on what he asks money wise. We can't screw with our current salary structure. Wouldn't give him more than 7,5 M$ on a 3 years and 6,5-7M$ on a 4 years contract. I think he will get more elsewhere.
Its clear that the second line need more talent. Dach can't do it all alone and I agree that if KH want to me in the mixt for next season, the team need one or two players there. I like the idea of having Newhook and Roy battle for one spot. For the other... I'm not convinced that I want that spot taken by a UFA. I would much prefer KH swing a trade for a young player (Kent Johnson, Cole Perfetti, Mercer, other??). The reason for that, is that since we are not yet suppose really battle it out, I prefer to see if a top 6 of Caufeild, Suzuki, Slaf, Dach, Newhook and a new kid can compete and what is missing from that equation. i.e. can Dach center full time, can Newhook bring the offensive needed? Gives more flex for summer 2025 to seek for a missing piece.

That said, I'm 100% on board with trading away Dvorak and signing Monahan. Monahan and Roy had some chemistry before TDL. Also our PP only got success when he was in the bumper position.

Reactions: Benstheman

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
Chatfield is Carolina's 6th D, playing just 15 minutes per game. Can't Kovacevic play that role?

Why sign this guy for more thasn Savard makes?
Carolina has probably the deepest blue line in the league, I think he could play a #4 role for us and I rate him ahead of Savard. That money is basically just the going rate for 3rd pair D with size and I like the idea of adding him to play on the 2nd pair for a couple years and then shift down to the third pair.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
I would love if we could get rid of a contract or two, while adding a legitimate top 6 player (23-26 years old). Does Anderson and our late 1st make that happen? Doubtful but something along those lines.

I'd like to add an animal on the bottom 6 who takes the body at all times and makes life tough on opposing defensemen.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Bottomshelf

Sep 16, 2019
I think Heineman is on track to interchange with Anderson bouncing between lines. Can’t see them signing anyone significant but hope they sign some help for Laval

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I think we sign William Carrier or someone very similar to him.
No issue with adding a Top-6/Middle-6 player, but that players needs to have + size, and I think we only do so if we can trade one of Dvorak, Gallagher or Anderson (Dvorak being the likeliest of the bunch).

Oh, and no Marchessault. Too small.

Bottomshelf

Sep 16, 2019
I do think that the first line is virtually a lock, and the third line is successful enough to keep as is. Honestly we are only loosing depth pieces off the roster and I think the players we could promote will be upgrades

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad